Archived Topic

What Can We Expect From Joe DuPaix Skill Set

by byucougar1 · 1/14/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
As the slot-back/inside-receivers coach, handling the tight-ends and slot receivers - it appears that we might be using his services to add to our offensive weapons/options besdies our RB, WR. I believe he can exploit defenses with the slot backs using the likes of Drew Phillips, Jacobson, DiLuigi, and possibly Riley Nelson.



Prior to his current position at Navy as slot backs coach, he served as the Offensive Coordinator at Cal-Poly where he directed the Mustang option

attack that averaged 487 yards and 39.3 points per game. While at Navy and Cal Poly he has helped direct offenses that are strong in scoring, rushing, time of possession and passing.



As primarily a rushing QB at Southern Utah he set the bowl subdivision record rushing yards by a Quarterback in 1996 and was Honorable Mention Junior College All-American and MVP of the 1995 Real Dairy Bowl.



He brings a wealth of knowledge about option football because he not only coached the Navy offense but also played option football at Southern Utah.



He will be a great compliment to Doman to help find a balance between running and passing.



Our offensive strength just became more formidable with his addition as a coach.
J
jvquarterback
Hopefully long term contracts to play Navy and Army on a yearly basis.
L
Lawboy
I have no idea about this guy, other than to say he was on staff at Navy during a time when they probably had some of the best teams in the last 50 years.



I like that he is young, because recruiting is a young man's profession. Recruiting is half the battle right now as well. Sounds like he is a fiery guy as well, which I also like, because our staff is shaping up to be full of those guys.



Curious to see who gets the WR job, should Higgins finally land a job back east. With what is going down at the U right now, smart money might be on Roderick. Which sounds crazy to me.
B
byucougar1
Navy OC Ivin Jasper added some offensive wrinkles the past three seasons in order to remain unpredictable and keep opponents off-balance. Jasper credits assistants such as Joe DuPaix and Ashley Ingram, both of whom came from programs that used a different type of option offense, with making good suggestions.



Seems to me this coach fits in line with Doman stating he wants the offense to be unpredictable and keep the defense guessing.
J
jonnylingo
Why does everybody think roderick comes to byu? It doesn't make sense to me. So he takes a demotion at the u under chow, but moving he won't be getting a promotion. he would have pretty much the same position. I am not sure why people are so sure roderick may be coming to byu.



I guess if he was mad at utah and he had no other offers.



I have no opinion on DuPaix. I am sure the coaches know what they are doing and think he will fit in well. He is definitely not a splashy pick and the fact that he is really close friends with doman could be a good or bad thing.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Cut blocking on the edges...?
S
SpiffCoug
I think its clear that Bronco wants Riley to start. That's why he's bringing in a guy with lots of option experience.
L
Lawboy
kitic77 wrote:
I think its clear that Bronco wants Riley to start. That's why he's bringing in a guy with lots of option experience.


LOL. Good one.
G
Guest
Pretty interesting now that our "two big offensive minds" are option guys.



Not that I expect BYU to turn into an option offense.
L
Lawboy
hawkwing wrote:
Pretty interesting now that our "two big offensive minds" are option guys.



Not that I expect BYU to turn into an option offense.


I do not consider Doman an option guy. He was a BYU QB that happened to be able to run it, so Crowton used it. Go look at his stats. His run/pass ratio is solid, compared to Riley's, where it is not. Doman was pass first all the way, like 4 0r 5 to 1. Riley is 50/50. Plus, Doman talked about throwing it all over at his press conference--not running the option. I take him at his word.



I do not put much into where DuPaix came from, more into who he is, his local connections, and his age and energy. He happened to coach at Navy at a time when they threw it most successfully since Staubach was there, and used their TE really well, so maybe that is the reason?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Nor I. I am excited to see what Du Paix can do with our inside receivers. Being at Navy, they're very good a plays between the tackles, which is where BYU's strength is - since we rarely have the speed to get to the outside.
B
byucougar1
It would be nice to see what JoPa can do with our TE - clearly one of our weakest links last year. Perhaps we will see not only tenacious blocking for our running attack but the ability to use them as an option over the middle, flare outs and underneath when downfield coverage is tight.
F
frdbtr
I don't know this guy....at all. Having said that, the reoccurring theme I am reading about him is "high energy", "good recruiter". It is the "high energy" that I want to focus on. I believe that Bronco and Brandon believe that effort can overcome talent when it is focused. I said it before Doman was hired. I wanted Doman as OC and it had little to do with playcalling. I want our offense next year to have the same energy as the defense. The defense is so much fun to watch because everyone gives 100% on every play. I want that with the offense too. If this guy can help implement that, I am behind him 100%.



One more thing, when you get effort and talent together at the same time, you get something special. :love:
C
craigoscarson
What I'm hearing about DuPaix, is that we got a potential offensive coordinator at a position coaches price. This is the type of guy that if other programs (unlv, new mexico, hawaii, etc.) were to risk it, would make him their offensive coordinator and likely get a lot of bang for their buck.



BYU offers DuPaix exposure and DuPaix offers BYU a ton of experience and energy. The more I think about it, the more I like it.



He's paid his dues. The fact that he's Domans friend is meaningless to me, except to note that they're on the same page and their collaboration should be exciting. I like the idea of a couple offensive minds burning the candle at both ends to win.



This is not the last stop for DuPaix and I think the idea is

1. Move on to a bigger program as an OC after 3-4 years

2. Move with Doman to a bigger program as OC (with Doman as HC) after 3-4 years

3. Stick around and take over with Doman after Bronco rides off into the sunset after 5-6 more years



What I believe we've created at BYU now is the anti-anae offense. It's going to be unpredictable, aggressive, and smart. Will they execute like an Anae run offense does? We shall see.



It wasn't the big splash hire I was hoping, but I get it, Brandon Doman gets it and Bronco gets it.

DuPaix would actually be more qualified to be our offensive coordinator than Robert Anae was when he was hired; yet he's coming in as a position coach.



Good hire.



Adam Hine and Drew Philips should be ecstatic and I think our tight ends will be pushed, even forced, into toughness and improvement.



Let me say this again, DuPaix would actually be more qualified to be our offensive coordinator than Robert Anae was when he was hired; yet he's coming in as a position coach.



We're getting a lot of bang for our buck and we still have a spot open for outside receivers...



Good week to be a Cougar, better week to be a tight end or slot receiver if you're a Cougar.
S
SpiffCoug
If DuPaix is a high energy and more in the Bronco mold that is good news for the offense. I've felt for years that the offense and defense had different mentalities. And the offense did not have Bronco's. Hopefully getting two Bronco guys in charge of the offense will help change that.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
I actually really like the idea of having two wr's coaches, inside and outside, since they both play soooo differently, and require different mindsets even.



Our WR's have been our most underutilized or should I say wrongly used unit on the field in the last 5 years. The routes they run are so basic, and stupid that I am amazed we have been able to pass the ball like we have been for the last 5 years.



I would be very okay with Roderick coming in @ WR (Utah has been nothing short of amazing producing "out of nowhere" receiving talent the last few years), but I would be more okay with Cahoon coming in.



That said though, don't we only have one more position open, unless we combine the Lineman and RB position (with reynolds staying, maybe). So would we really use 2 on the WR's and TE position. Seems goofy to have a RB/OL coach, but if anyone could do it, it would be reynolds.
L
ltpwfdcm
Unless I've missed something, I don't think we need to say combine the OL/RB under once coach since, Anae was the TE (inside receivers) coach along with being the OC. DuPaix is replacing Anae so we have essentially a complete staff. Now, if Higgins leaves that opens a slot for a Cahoon or Drage etc. but BYU is not going to be short a position coach slot necessitating a combined coaching assignment like that.
B
Brayden Green
We promoted Kelly Poppinga as LB coach (from intern/graduate assist)



So I think we lost a spot when we did that.



But I could be wrong on that, math was never my strong spot. Like Axl Rose (or maybe it was Brett Michaels) said "I knew I was in trouble in kindergarten when the teacher said 'One plus one is two.' and I said 'Wait, how do you know?' "
U
Ungoy
BlueIsBetter wrote:
We promoted Kelly Poppinga as LB coach (from intern/graduate assist)



So I think we lost a spot when we did that.



But I could be wrong on that, math was never my strong spot. Like Axl Rose (or maybe it was Brett Michaels) said "I knew I was in trouble in kindergarten when the teacher said 'One plus one is two.' and I said 'Wait, how do you know?' "


I thought that Kelly Poppinga was essentially using the spot vacated by the dismissal of Jaime Hill. I could be wrong, but When Hill got fired, Bronco didn't hire anyone else.
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
We promoted Kelly Poppinga as LB coach (from intern/graduate assist)



So I think we lost a spot when we did that.



But I could be wrong on that, math was never my strong spot. Like Axl Rose (or maybe it was Brett Michaels) said "I knew I was in trouble in kindergarten when the teacher said 'One plus one is two.' and I said 'Wait, how do you know?' "

Blue - since we are good buddies, I will help you with the math. But first - I got to see Axl Rose when Guns and Roses opened for the Rolling Stones at the LA Coliseum. Quite a show. I went to see the Stones, but Axl was quite a showman. My kids were probably more excited about seeing G&R. I surprisingly, liked G&R - especially the remake of Knock Knock Knockin on Heaven's Door - old Dylan favorite.



Anyway - as I best reconstructed it in a recent post with input from others



KPopp used Hill's slot. He was temporarily put in that slot when Hill was fired and has now became a permanent replacement of Hill. That had me confused for a while, because someone else got promoted to grad assist when KPopp got moved into that temporary slot. But, if I am counting correctly - KPopp = Hill.



Then Anae resigned. Anae was OC and Inside Receivers coach. That freed up one slot. Doman was promoted to OC but continued to fill the QB Coach slot. So Doman did not use up Anae's slot.



So DuPaix = Anae and is taking over Inside receivers and apparenlty Slot Back receivers. So we are at full contingent, unless some one else quits or gets let go.



But did the DuPaix hiring get a formal BYU Press release? I have not seen it, but admit I haven't searched hard. But usually those things show up on CB tweets, emails, or CC posts or the news and tweets on CC in the boxes off to the right.



For that matter, I have never seen a press release announcing Anae at Arizona, Norm Chow or Crowton geting fired, or either of them landing at rumored SDSU, Utah, or Maryland or Mass or what ever that rumor was. It seems like these things probably have happened, but where are the formal official announcements?



But I think that this accounting, for now, assuming no one else quits or is let go - a big assumption given that there has been no announcement that I have seen of any of them, including Reynolds, being offered a chance to stay, is correct.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.