craigoscarson wrote:
Here's my problem with this. Would BYU allow an accused player to keep playing?
The girl is 16, the player purchased alcohol for her... Chris Hansen would be all over that.
Did they have consensual sex and then she decided to call it rape? Does it matter? She's 16.
There's a former seminary teacher in Utah that's scratching his head on this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJLhQoxenB8&feature=related
The Seminary teacher, who might have even been the head of the seminary iirc, did plead innocent after being arrested and charged and eventually the justice system prevailed and he was either convicted or did a plea bargain - though most of his students rallied to his support. In other words, he got his day in court.
I won't go into details here to protect the identiy of victims, but I have known several victims of sex related crimes including extended family members - one was 6 and had to testify in court. I am fully on board with supporting victims - even though there will sometimes be false accusers.
But a coach cannot take action against a player who has not even been interrogated, let alone charged or convicted. His school would get sued and lose, especially if later the girl recanted either because it never happened or because she just recanted.. Just buying alcohol for a minor would be sufficient for me to take action - yes - but even that has not been charged, let alone proven.
In the case I mentioned, which involved an entire neighborhood, I do recall how agonizingly long it took for the system to do its work. At first I was furious. I even called on behalf of my relative and talked to the investigator about why the investigation was moving so slowly. Here is the answer I got "We are inundated with cases, we are trying to get to this, this accused person is at least known to be accused by your entire neighborhood and people can take precautions, but we have other cases where the accused is a family member and still living in the same home as the accuser and those take priority". Sad statment on how things are in America. But the system did eventually work - 6 years for that guy in prison - should have been longer. When this player gets arrested for the alcohol or other charges, they can suspend him. Before then, they, unfortunatley, do not have legal standing to do so imho.