Archived Topic

Greg Wrubell's Call of Jimmer's End of Half Shot

by northerncougar · 1/12/2011

Advertisement
N
northerncougar
Attached is Greg Wrubell's call of the end of half shot by Jimmer. :lol:
V
vancouvercougar
I was at work and couldn't listen until after halftime. Thanks for posting that--now i'd like to see a highlight video. Where are you Furious Monkey?
G
GolfDiveNCougs
AWESOME! Thanks for putting that up!
N
northerncougar
Happy to. You can get the full game on ksl.com.



A friend of mine at work sits by a lady who is a Ute fan. She has their fight song as the ring tone on her phone and he is going to play that the next time her phone rings.



:evil:
M
MJCOUGAR
great call thanks for posting
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
you could also rename this thread: Greg Wrubell hits puberty.



;)



awesome moment, and awesome call.



But - as some have mentioned - further proof that I don't want him calling games for the tv, or tv and radio.
I
IowaCougar
I have to say that Greg Wrubell is my favorite announcer of all time. He gets excited and cheers on the team, but I don't think he loses his perspective.



What a difference earlier in the season when there were a few games he didn't announce because of football conflicts.



I just wish I could turn off the TV sound and listen to the radio, but there's too much of a time difference between the internet feed of KSL and the video on the MTN or other stations.
S
SpiffCoug
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was a pretty bad call. WAY too much emotion.
B
billbillbillbill
Thanks for the clip. I have played it a few times at my desk causing some frustration from the Ute coworkers. (btw- is it just the fair weather nature of Ute fans to not watch the game and try to pretend it wasn't a big deal.)



As for Greg Wrubell's emotion. There are a few moments where Wrubell gets a bit too excited like last night's shot or Beck to Harline but generally, he sounds like the home team commentator and I think he does a pretty good job at that.



One thing he does great is tell the score. In those few games without his call, I was waiting several plays to know the score but Greg seems to plug the current score almost between plays.
N
northerncougar
billbillbillbill wrote:
Thanks for the clip. I have played it a few times at my desk causing some frustration from the Ute coworkers. (btw- is it just the fair weather nature of Ute fans to not watch the game and try to pretend it wasn't a big deal.)



As for Greg Wrubell's emotion. There are a few moments where Wrubell gets a bit too excited like last night's shot or Beck to Harline but generally, he sounds like the home team commentator and I think he does a pretty good job at that.



One thing he does great is tell the score. In those few games without his call, I was waiting several plays to know the score but Greg seems to plug the current score almost between plays.


That is what I was hoping for. :evil:
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I thought he did well on calling the Beck to Harline play.
I
IowaCougar
kitic77 wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was a pretty bad call. WAY too much emotion.


Personal opinion - yes, you're wrong. His emotion on these calls is one of the things that makes him great. 8)
S
SpiffCoug
I love Wrubell's call. But this time I thought his emotions controlled his call. He's normally emotional, which is good, because I like that he cares about the game he's calling. This particular call was just too much for me.
L
lfurr
IowaCougar wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was a pretty bad call. WAY too much emotion.


Personal opinion - yes, you're wrong. His emotion on these calls is one of the things that makes him great. 8)




I agree with IowaCougar. The call was FANTASTIC. That's what makes Wrubell so great - he responds the way many of us would respond had we been there. I love the guy, and I too wish that I could turn off the TV and hear him, but that darn delay makes it too annyoing. What a great night it was.
B
Brayden Green
It was a great call with me being a Cougar fan.



I don't want other "fans" to have to listen to that on a tv broadcast, because if I were on the other side of the coin, I would hate it.
Advertisement
K
kiwibacon
This clip actually got used on Sports Center this morning.



ESPN ACTUALLY HAD MTN FOOTAGE and showed a 2 minute highlight reel of Jimmer from the Utah game. They showed all the shots he made in the first half and talked about how he scored 32 in the first half alone. They showed his missed dunk and had the clip of his audio phone interview playing when the missed dunk video was playing and Jimmer explaining away his dunk. They showed the end of half shot with Wrubell's call of the shot and they showed him in the second half with his shots made in the second half. It was a great little piece and I was impressed with all the video/audio clips they pieced together. Did anyone else see that this morning?
A
AmmonCougar1
kiwibacon wrote:
This clip actually got used on Sports Center this morning.



ESPN ACTUALLY HAD MTN FOOTAGE and showed a 2 minute highlight reel of Jimmer from the Utah game. They showed all the shots he made in the first half and talked about how he scored 32 in the first half alone. They showed his missed dunk and had the clip of his audio phone interview playing when the missed dunk video was playing and Jimmer explaining away his dunk. They showed the end of half shot with Wrubell's call of the shot and they showed him in the second half with his shots made in the second half. It was a great little piece and I was impressed with all the video/audio clips they pieced together. Did anyone else see that this morning?


Yep. Saw it too. His buzzer beater at halftime was also #1 in the top ten plays.



Question for those of you that are more technilogically savy than I. My Father-in-law has the blocked fg as his ringtone. I've had evertyhing from harline forward as mine and now need this one but I can't figure how to get it from my computer to my phone. Anyone out there have some suggestions or would be willing to send it directly to my cell if I give you my number? pm me if you can and I'll send you my cell #.



Thanks,



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.