Archived Topic

Maybe miss MTN announcers?

by Schmoe · 1/10/2011

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I know, we all hate them, but I'm watching Nevada-BC and the announcers are ridiculous. BC running back running the ball and gets taken down "I don't know about you, but he looked defenseless there to me, should've been a personal foul."



Talking about Non-AQ schools:

"Ya know there are some pretty good non-AQ's"

"I don't think so"

"well, what about TCU?"

"I don't consider them a non-AQ, I mean, other than they're in the MWC. But I see them as a better program than the BSU's and Nevadas."



These guys are a JOKE!
S
stuckinbig10country
I will miss James Bates. I think we'll have Blaine Fowler for some of the games. James Bates actually is a very good play-by-play person in both football and basketball. They just gave him a complete tool for a color analyst in football, although he is lucky to be with coach Cravins for basketball.
S
snoscythe
The only one I will miss is Sammy Linebaugh, but I'm holding out hopes that she comes to BYUTV/True Blue.
P
ProV1
I just heard Bob Davie say, "If Nevada didn't return that punt for a touchdown it would be 10-7 instead of 17-7." Really? You get paid for that in depth analysis?
S
stuckinbig10country
I'm afraid Cougar Nation may be setting themselves up for a let down next year. We're expecting prime-time Saturday night ESPN quality for all of our games next year. I think what we're going to get is the junk like tonight and ESPN+ Saturday afternoon quality most of the time.
Advertisement
A
AmmonCougar1
But at least (hopefully) we'll have more than two camera angles to look at on replays. (Note: No winky face here. I seriously think there were only a couple cameras on the MTN broadcasts and a good part of the time they couldn't even follow the play very well, especially on Jakes bootlegs and play-action, both of which were exceptional in my opinion. Reminicent of the 'intent to decieve penalty' but that's another thread!)



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
P
ProV1
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I'm afraid Cougar Nation may be setting themselves up for a let down next year. We're expecting prime-time Saturday night ESPN quality for all of our games next year. I think what we're going to get is the junk like tonight and ESPN+ Saturday afternoon quality most of the time.

I would take Pam Ward over Rodney Gilmore/Bob Davie. Either way, I'm muting their announcers and playing Wrubell.



Tonight's topics-mentioned numbers: Oregon's tempo - 47, BCS dominance - 205, how non-AQ schools are surprisingly hanging with the big guys - 18, Cam Newton - 180,000
M
Mingjai
ProV1 wrote:
I would take Pam Ward over Rodney Gilmore/Bob Davie. Either way, I'm muting their announcers and playing Wrubell.


Davie is not too bad when he's with his normal partner, Mark Jones.



Rod Gilmore is a complete disaster though. I'm surprise the guy has managed stay on ESPN with all the new talent they can attract. Gilmore and Craig James should never be allowed in TV. Ever.



I thought the broadcast team the worked the New Mexico Bowl did a good job--Brian Griese did a good job talking up both teams in his color commentary. I think Nessler-Blackledge-Rowe do a good job as well (despite Rowe being a U grad).



While I like Wrubell, he can get incoherent when he gets too excited. Plus, he needs to describe places on the field a little more precisely.
C
Cougs_Rule
NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOt even close to missing those fricken hairballs and the henchman "Hair" either. Dont even care if its Hair's evil twin Todd C. He will at least be rewarded, not condemed for being a homer.
T
ThrowbackBlue
snoscythe wrote:
The only one I will miss is Sammy Linebaugh, but I'm holding out hopes that she comes to BYUTV/True Blue.


I'd prefer she stay-- doesn't do it or me.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Oh, and this little gem "There's no limit to how many practices you can have once you are invited to a bowl. These guys have had a month to practice every day, blah, blah, blah." How do you let these morons on the air?
S
stuckinbig10country
Schmoe wrote:
Oh, and this little gem "There's no limit to how many practices you can have once you are invited to a bowl. These guys have had a month to practice every day, blah, blah, blah." How do you let these morons on the air?


Especially when one of the morons used to coach. I'm pretty sure his teams played in bowl games. Only 15 practices there Bob-O.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
YBrit
I wont miss any of them, I won't miss Sammy either, having met her in person I fail to see any talent on the mtn being good enough for BYU games. Although it seems most people like her...hmm...Maybe Wrubell could mic up both radio and TV simultaneously.
J
jonnylingo
Schmoe wrote:
I know, we all hate them, but I'm watching Nevada-BC and the announcers are ridiculous. BC running back running the ball and gets taken down "I don't know about you, but he looked defenseless there to me, should've been a personal foul."



Talking about Non-AQ schools:

"Ya know there are some pretty good non-AQ's"

"I don't think so"

"well, what about TCU?"

"I don't consider them a non-AQ, I mean, other than they're in the MWC. But I see them as a better program than the BSU's and Nevadas."



These guys are a JOKE!


Holy crap. Good thing I didn't watch much of it. wow.
G
Guest
ESPN announces has been one major scary point for me in the whole independence euphoria I've been enjoying.



How many times have we watched the bowl game and the announcers have sucked? It happens far too often.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
hawkwing wrote:
ESPN announces has been one major scary point for me in the whole independence euphoria I've been enjoying.



How many times have we watched the bowl game and the announcers have sucked? It happens far too often.


The problem is, there are just not that many good announcers, but there are a ton of games. Brad Nessler can't work 2 or 3 games a day for example.



Maybe ESPN will just use the BYUtv announcers for some of the games not on prime time ESPN.
J
jonnylingo
stuckinbig10country wrote:
ESPN announces has been one major scary point for me in the whole independence euphoria I've been enjoying.



How many times have we watched the bowl game and the announcers have sucked? It happens far too often.


The problem is, there are just not that many good announcers, but there are a ton of games. Brad Nessler can't work 2 or 3 games a day for example.



Maybe ESPN will just use the BYUtv announcers for some of the games not on prime time ESPN.


I don't get why espn doesn't just hire local guys to do certain games who actually know something about the teams anyway.
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
ESPN announces has been one major scary point for me in the whole independence euphoria I've been enjoying.



How many times have we watched the bowl game and the announcers have sucked? It happens far too often.


The problem is, there are just not that many good announcers, but there are a ton of games. Brad Nessler can't work 2 or 3 games a day for example.



Maybe ESPN will just use the BYUtv announcers for some of the games not on prime time ESPN.


I don't get why espn doesn't just hire local guys to do certain games who actually know something about the teams anyway.


Agreed. It's a no brainer!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.