Archived Topic

Where would you want to coach?

by Isola · 1/7/2011

Advertisement
I
Isola
This question is more philosophical than specific. I think it is obvious that most of us would love to coach at the Y, but with this whole Jim Harbaugh thing, it makes me wonder what most people think.



I lean towards the college level rather than the NFL, but I would not coach in San Fran, in a cruddy old stadium that nobody wants to spend money to replace, in a town more concerned about hybrids than football.



I definitely would go to Carolina where they aren't willing to spend the money to win.



I wouldn't go to Miami with completely apathetic fans plus you have to get through New England to win your division.



Denver loves the Broncos, they have a nice new stadium, and they would appreciate your grind it out style of football. Plus you are up against the Chargers, Cheifs and Raiders to make the playoffs.



Those are the pro gigs I have heard him connected to.



In college, I could understand if he stayed at Stanford. It would be a cushy gig where you would never get fired, but $1.5 million in Palo Alto is middle class, and they probably aren't willing to spend too much more. Plus fans are apathetic, or at least few in numbers.



I think I would head to Michigan. Sure the fans are a bit delusional about expectations, but they are passionate. You are a Michigan Man so they will love you from the get go. The out going coach was so hated that you can blame a year or two of struggles on him. And they can recruit the type of players you need for your system. Maybe you won't have SEC type athletes, but he won at Stanford without them, and he can get better athletes at Michigan than at Stanford. Plus I think he thrives on smart players more than athletes, and Michigan can get those. They will pay you plenty of money, it is the winningest program in college football history, and one day your statue will be in front of the Big House.
V
vancouvercougar
Too much work to do in Michigan. I think Elway would be an OK boss for Harbaugh to work under.
E
EM_Puma
It all depends on what your motivation is all about. Do you want to coach in the NFL because of the money? Do you like the commaraderie of the college world? Palo Alto isn't a bad place to live. Ann Arbor isn't anything like Palo Alto, but it's your alma mater and that should mean something--that would probably mean the most to me.
I
imuakahuku
Miami. Lived there in the 70's. But NFL over college because of $ and recruiting. No long recruiting trips to worry about, no holding your breath etc. The only time you worry about this is in signing high profile free agents.

Injuries are easier to absorb. Save for a few key spots you can plug in a college all-american if you lose a starter in most positions.

No worrying about pay for play or benefits or grades. I think the biggest headache for college coaches.

No state income tax :P

Nice weather for the most part.No need to buy snow removal equipment. If you want to see snow get on a plane and go visit it for a week instead of it visiting you for 3 months.

My biggest concern was with Bill Parcels and he is gone now so that is a big plus. I don't think I would want him as a boss.

Fla is still a Red state.

Just a quick list of some of the pros that I come up with for the Miami job.



Of course thow all that out the window if I could be the QB coach or equipment manager or heck even the water boy for BYU! :love:
I
Isola
Recruiting trips wouldn't be all bad, but you are right about the head aches caused by recruiting rules and violations.



No income tax would be nice too, but at least to me, more than a couple million per year seems like plenty to me.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Isola wrote:
I think I would head to Michigan. Sure the fans are a bit delusional about expectations, but they are passionate. You are a Michigan Man so they will love you from the get go. The out going coach was so hated that you can blame a year or two of struggles on him. And they can recruit the type of players you need for your system. Maybe you won't have SEC type athletes, but he won at Stanford without them, and he can get better athletes at Michigan than at Stanford. Plus I think he thrives on smart players more than athletes, and Michigan can get those. They will pay you plenty of money, it is the winningest program in college football history, and one day your statue will be in front of the Big House.


Definitely not Michigan (not now at least)... their fan base is completely delusional, and the guy before you has spend 3 years building up a roster of spread option players while ignoring the defense. For Harbaugh, Michigan would be a long-term rebuilding project at a school whose boosters want to win yesterday!



The 49ers and the Dolphins are proud programs with decent amounts of talent. The 49ers are especially intriguing because some people had them penciled as conference champs based on their talent. I think the talent is still there, but the players need a coach who can help them live up to their potential. In Miami, there's a strong possibility that he'd have to face his brother's perennially tough Ravens team in the AFC playoffs.



Like Jim Harbaugh, I'd be choosing between San Francisco or Stanford, and I have a general aversion to California.
J
jvquarterback
Miami hands down.



More money. No state income taxes. Best chance of winning with current personnel. Beaches. Access to the world. No question. Miami.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.