I think you read too much "between the lines. It's not that the negotiations broke down - they never got going. Harbaugh is the hottest Coach in Football today to hire - College & the NFL. Here's who has expressed interest in him - Michigan, 49ers, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins (flying Harbaugh to Miami & they have not fired their current Coach).
ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit: Jim Harbaugh to U-M 'wishful thinking'
Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News
ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit admits now that maybe it's been "wishful thinking" on his part that Jim Harbaugh will return home to coach Michigan.
Even Herbstreit, who has publicly touted Harbaugh, currently the Stanford head coach who is being strongly courted by NFL teams, as a great fit for Michigan, now thinks that marriage might not materialize.
Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon fired Rich Rodriguez on Wednesday after three seasons and a 15-22 record, and said he is launching a national coaching search.
Harbaugh, a former Michigan quarterback, was thought to be the front-runner for the Michigan vacancy, but recent reports suggest he will end up with and NFL team.
"I think Jim Harbaugh is great for college football," Herbstreit said Thursday during an ESPN teleconference. "I think his energy, his passion, his competitive spirit, the same spirit he had as a player, he has a head coach. (But) all these stories and now the Dolphins flying there and potentially offering him to be the highest paid NFL coach, maybe all these things are too much for him to consider going to Michigan.
"I think he fits in perfectly in college. More than competing to win games, he's affecting 18- to 22-year-old young men in a positive way. I think he's a great guy. I think he has an edge to him that's fun and I think it would bring a lot of spirit to the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry. So I'm holding out hope that somehow someway he'll want to come back to Ann Arbor, but it does seem like more and more as time passes he'll be headed to the NFL."
Meanwhile, while Brandon said the next coach does not have to have Michigan ties, two candidates with Michigan ties have emerged as potentially serious candidates.
LSU coach Les Miles is a former Michigan player and assistant coach and currently is preparing the Tigers for Friday's Cotton Bowl. San Diego State coach Brady Hoke, a former Michigan assistant, has made it perfectly clear to his current employer that Michigan is his dream job.