Archived Topic

Coaching Staff as of now:

by gmj81 · 1/5/2011

Advertisement
G
gmj81
HC - Bronco

AHC - ???? ---> Will they retain Reynolds? If not, who will this be? I'd imagine if they were going to name Doman as AHC they would have done it yesterday.



OC - Doman

QB - Doman ---> this means no Detmer, at least this year, as that would be the only position he could conceivably fill

RB - ???? ---> Reynolds? If not who? Mark Atuaia? Curtis Brown?

OL - ???? ---> Weber? If not who? Wong? Uperesa?

TE - ???? ---> Lewis? If not who?

WR - ???? ---> Higgins? Cahoon? If not who? Drage?



DC - Bronco

DL - Kaufusi

ILB - Tidwell

OLB - Poppinga

DB - Howell



Obviously the defense is pretty much set. As for the rest of the offense, I have no sources but my gut feeling (same as many of you) is that Reynolds will retain his AHC/RB job and that Weber will stay put while they'll bring aboard Cahoon and Lewis. Since Domain is retaining the QB coach tag, that leaves openings for a TEs coach which was under Anae's job description previously. I believe you're allowed 10 coaches on staff so obviously some of them have to fill multiple positions. However, I could see an aversion to hiring too many young and (relatively) inexperienced coaches all at once. We've recently added Howell and Poppinga. It could be argued Doman is 'green' at his new position but we'll ignore that for now. Adding two more in Lewis and Cahoon might create somewhat of an unstable situation with so many new 'guys learning on the job'. I have no doubt the guys listed would all be fantastic teachers but there is a lot of other adjustments to be made. Finally, I also worry that too much turnover could be detrimental to the squad. That's why I'd like to be see Reynolds and Weber retained.
F
frdbtr
Why does Ty have to be the QB coach? Couldn't he coach recievers or TE's? I am sure he understands the positions. While at Detroit, he played reciever on their scout team once because they were short on recievers and in the article I read, they said he did it well.
G
gmj81
Maybe he could but I would think you'd want someone who played the position, especially if he's just breaking into coaching. A guy like Reynolds who has been around forever could jump from OL to RB, etc. Not saying that I know Ty couldn't coach WR, just that we don't know if he can yet. And there is a guy who's had a long playing career in Cahoon, not dependent upon speed and size but on the ability to run great routes and catch whatever was thrown his way and who not so coincidentally spent a lot of time already in the offseasons tutoring young BYU receivers. He would seem to be a perfect fit for the kind of staff Bronco is building. Still fairly young and fiery but also well skilled in their positional knowledge.



Besides, I'm not ruling out the possibility that Ty could still come aboard in the near future once Doman gets his guys in place and feels more comfortable turning the position coaching over to somebody new. But for now, that might be a lot of changes for the squad to have to adapt to.
F
frdbtr
This is just my opinion and we will see how it plays out over time but frankly, I don't think that position coaches need to have played the position to be successful. If I am right Sitake(sp?) up at utah played on offense at BYU and he is now the Dcoordinator at utah. I think that the most important thing is the ability to teach and the mindset that you bring to the table in coaching. If Ty has the Bronco Mendenhall type of mindset and the ability to portray that mindset and fundamentals to the players, it won't matter what position he is coaching. IMO, this is why Doman is now the Ocoordinator at BYU.
G
gmj81
Sitake also got his start in the nether ranks where he had time to hone his skills as I recall, he didn't jump right into FBS football. He had at least four or five years coaching young students before he landing at Utah. But I do agree with you to a certain extent that some guys can just teach and relate to the players, whatever their experience was at the position. We've already seen Howell move around a bit but again he's had some experience coaching at different levels and has spent some time as a GA before coaching LBs and DBs this year.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I have no nationwide survey to back this up, but it seems that OC and DC or Asst HC designated coaches nearly always fill two roles. I have seen many a HC also be either OC or DC - sometimes successfully, sometimes not. Asst HC seems to be infrequently used relatively speaking.



Anae was also TE coach. Reynolds was also RB coach. Bronco was recently HC/DC and had ST before that. Back when the Oregon, LSU OC was here - Crowton - couldn't remember his name for a minute - and Bronco was DC - was Bronco also a position coach?



Anyway, I would rather have Doman as OC carry QB position than tight ends or something else.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
AmmonCougar1
Let's just bring in Austin Collie to coach our receivers and save him further bell-ringers/concussions.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
F
frdbtr
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
Let's just bring in Austin Collie to coach our receivers and save him further bell-ringers/concussions.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


He gets another concussion early next year or when he comes back and he just might be looking for a job in coaching.
Y
Y 4 Ever
gmj81 wrote:
HC - Bronco

AHC - ???? ---> Will they retain Reynolds? If not, who will this be? I'd imagine if they were going to name Doman as AHC they would have done it yesterday.


The reason they didn't name Doman the Assistant Head Coach is because he's just the Assistant TO the Head Coach (big difference)
Y
YBrit
Tidwell and Higgins needs to go, they've botched some big recruiting mistakes few no about.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Tidwell and Bronco go way back. I think Tidwell was one of Bronco's coaches at Snow. I think they could remove him from the "recruiting" coordinator position and things would improve drastically.
B
BigCougsFan
frdbtr wrote:
Let's just bring in Austin Collie to coach our receivers and save him further bell-ringers/concussions.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


He gets another concussion early next year or when he comes back and he just might be looking for a job in coaching.


Do you need to be active in the NFL for 3-5 years before you get the NFL insurance perks for life? He better go for that before he quits the NFL for health/safety concerns. He'll need the NFL help in years to come.
S
stuckinbig10country
BigCougsFan wrote:
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
Let's just bring in Austin Collie to coach our receivers and save him further bell-ringers/concussions.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


He gets another concussion early next year or when he comes back and he just might be looking for a job in coaching.


Do you need to be active in the NFL for 3-5 years before you get the NFL insurance perks for life? He better go for that before he quits the NFL for health/safety concerns. He'll need the NFL help in years to come.


It's one of the sticking points that will be debating in the upcoming off-season for the NFL, and what makes it at least possible that next year there will be no professional football for a little while.
G
Greasedthunder
Cahooooon, if BYU picks up Ben the Montreal fans will go into a deep depression. That right there is a good enough reason to hire him, lousy French Canadians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPh07uN9L78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.