Archived Topic

Ty Detmer HAS interviewed for a coaching position at BYU

by ThrowbackBlue · 1/3/2011

Advertisement
T
ThrowbackBlue
Following the shakeup of Bronco's decision to re-evaluate the offensive coaching staff there were a lot of rumors, speculation, and conflicting reports regarding the status of Ty Detmer in relation to potential openings on the coaching staff.



After spending new years day with several individuals who are influential in the innermost BYU circles, I can confidently say with 100% assurity that Ty Detmer has in fact interviewed with BYU. Additionally, it was Ty who contacted BYU regarding a position. Ty has taken the position of complete silence on the matter.



This isn't to say he's joining the staff persay, but the fact that the thought is being entertained by both parties is both exciting and significant.



A couple of other names were also brought up as coaches who have or will be interviewing in the coming days including at least one defensive coach.



The most exciting conversation however, was the talk of a new era of BYU football. The coaches and administration are going forward with a zeal and commitment unparalleled at BYU in the past. Plans to pay coaches more money to get them here and keep them here, scheduling/playing marquee programs, enhancing the gameday experience, stadium and facility upgrades, independence, partnering with ESPN, BCS involvement, future conference alignment, etc..... Made for a GREAT way to start off the new year for me.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byutx
Maybe someone thought they saw Ty, but it was really Kenneth looking for a job with BYUtv?



http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/tyotx/kenneth.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
ThrowbackBlue
byutx wrote:
Maybe someone thought they saw Ty, but it was really Kenneth looking for a job with BYUtv?



http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/tyotx/kenneth.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Hahahahahaha..... Best post of the year!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
ThrowbackBlue wrote:
Maybe someone thought they saw Ty, but it was really Kenneth looking for a job with BYUtv?



http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/tyotx/kenneth.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Hahahahahaha..... Best post of the year!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">






Ditto!! Sweeeet!!!! LOL!!!
J
jonnylingo
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFR80kuQfGNVDNPOgpPQYvXY8hTLvDDqJh5_4S19L9T7wyGvGamw" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Wow, good call.
Advertisement
R
radius19
jonnylingo wrote:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFR80kuQfGNVDNPOgpPQYvXY8hTLvDDqJh5_4S19L9T7wyGvGamw" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Wow, good call.




were kenneth and ty seperated at birth and then kenneth put back into the womb for 10 years? They basically are the same person. Wait a minute... has anyone ever seen them together? For all we know, ty is kenneth, kenneth is ty...
Y
Y12
The silence and denials about all of this is typical protocol for this situation. Until former coaches are fired/resign, then to talk openly about interviewing for positions is bad form.



I will be stoked if Detmer is the new QB coach.
C
Cougs_Rule
ThrowbackBlue wrote:
Following the shakeup of Bronco's decision to re-evaluate the offensive coaching staff there were a lot of rumors, speculation, and conflicting reports regarding the status of Ty Detmer in relation to potential openings on the coaching staff.



After spending new years day with several individuals who are influential in the innermost BYU circles, I can confidently say with 100% assurity that Ty Detmer has in fact interviewed with BYU. Additionally, it was Ty who contacted BYU regarding a position. Ty has taken the position of complete silence on the matter.



This isn't to say he's joining the staff persay, but the fact that the thought is being entertained by both parties is both exciting and significant.



A couple of other names were also brought up as coaches who have or will be interviewing in the coming days including at least one defensive coach.



The most exciting conversation however, was the talk of a new era of BYU football. The coaches and administration are going forward with a zeal and commitment unparalleled at BYU in the past. Plans to pay coaches more money to get them here and keep them here, scheduling/playing marquee programs, enhancing the gameday experience, stadium and facility upgrades, independence, partnering with ESPN, BCS involvement, future conference alignment, etc..... Made for a GREAT way to start off the new year for me.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


great stuff! if BYU wants to take the program to the next level, then these things would certainly do it. But, best laid plans....i'm just saying, what admin wouldnt want to "take the program to the next level"? Shoot for the stars! If we do get Ty and Brandon is OC, that will be interesting to see how it all works out. Ty is actually humble enough to bridge the "star power" gap between he and Brandon. And I would guess that Brandon is secure enough as a person to handle Ty as his direct report and part of the "stepped up" team.
S
snoscythe
I waited to post on this all day so I could check things out. I know a person who was consulted on the Crowton hire and on the Bronco hire. He is unimpeachable, and he is how I knew Anae was Bronco's hire even when Harmon was misreporting that Skousen hired him (which Harmon corrected just recently).



Long story short, no interviews were conducted before Bronco got back from his vacation, so I'm curious when and with whom Ty allegedly interviewed, because it wasn't Bronco unless it was this morning. If Ty did interview, it was either with Holmoe, which would indicate a non-coaching position, or with the new yet-to-be-named OC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Ihatethecolorred
That was my first question if that is true who would he interview with?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Maybe Skousen came out of retirement for one last coaching hire hurrah?
C
craigoscarson
snoscythe wrote:
I waited to post on this all day so I could check things out. I know a person who was consulted on the Crowton hire and on the Bronco hire. He is unimpeachable, and he is how I knew Anae was Bronco's hire even when Harmon was misreporting that Skousen hired him (which Harmon corrected just recently).



Long story short, no interviews were conducted before Bronco got back from his vacation, so I'm curious when and with whom Ty allegedly interviewed, because it wasn't Bronco unless it was this morning. If Ty did interview, it was either with Holmoe, which would indicate a non-coaching position, or with the new yet-to-be-named OC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I don't get the Skousen talk, but as I see it, it was an arranged marriage between Holmoe/BYU and Bronco. They hand picked Anae and then had Bronco interview him with limited veto power if the interview didn't go well; which lends to all the misunderstanding on the origin of the hire.

Was it Broncos hire? Was it Holmoes? Does it really matter? They both gave their blessing.



This certainly is different than letting Bronco make the calls as he sees fit after several double digit winning seasons, a clean ship and a semi-blank check from the University. This obviously wasn't the case in 05 when Bronco was as much of a nobody as Anae was.

Broncos leash got much much longer during his tenure and Anaes got much much shorter.



Bare with me on this analogy, because I think Bush is a buffoon, but there is one parallel.

At the beginning of Bush's 2nd term, he said that he believed that he had built up substantial politcal capital and that he intended to spend it...

(In Bushs case that was a terrible idea)

Bronco now has the backing of the university, the church, ESPN, his coaching staff, and a very young team that isn't going anywhere. BYU is facing an increase in 4 times the revenue and likely hopes that they can parlay this into more advertising, donation, and merchandising revenue.



Bronco is thinking forward and wants to treat BYU football like Notre Dame, Texas, Oregon etc. which explains why many in the know are saying, better pay for assistants, high profile assistants and even improved facilities, etc. (our facilities are already world class). If he has the blessing of his bosses, that's very very exciting and that could very well mean we see Detmer on the sidelines next season.

Bronco gets it and knows what Detmer would mean to BYU, BYU fans, Jake Heaps, ESPN, BYUTV, and recruiting.



If Doman is announced as the OC in the next 24 hours or so, then we'll know that Bronco had a plan and a shopping list before he left on his vacation; if Detmer happens this week then I have to believe that Ty was also on that shopping list and Holmoe was the man directed to make it happen; with the understanding that Mendenhall would have veto rights up until the ink was dry (i.e the last interview and contract settled)
C
Cougarbib
Have to agree with most of what Craigo just said about how Bronco / Anae hire unfolded. IDK, but seems most plausible explanation.



But sorry Craig - I like Bush. Better Buffoon candidates would include Clinton and Obama.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Have to agree with most of what Craigo just said about how Bronco / Anae hire unfolded. IDK, but seems most plausible explanation.



But sorry Craig - I like Bush. Better Buffoon candidates would include Clinton and Obama.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Clinton isn't a buffoon, in fact he's probably the most clever president we've had in the modern age... however he's a criminal in many senses, and not to be trusted.



Obama isn't a buffoon either; he's an idealist with no foot on the ground... (like a hot air balloon with no ballast) (actually that's sort of buffoon-like)



Unless Bronco or Holmoe came out and told us that it was strictly Mendenhall and Broncos idea (which it wasn't) then the truth is it was an arranged marriage that Bronco agreed to. I don't think that carries the same weight as a hand picked assistant,
B
BoiseBYU
craigoscarson wrote:
Have to agree with most of what Craigo just said about how Bronco / Anae hire unfolded. IDK, but seems most plausible explanation.



But sorry Craig - I like Bush. Better Buffoon candidates would include Clinton and Obama.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Clinton isn't a buffoon, in fact he's probably the most clever president we've had in the modern age... however he's a criminal in many senses, and not to be trusted.



Obama isn't a buffoon either; he's an idealist with no foot on the ground... (like a hot air balloon with no ballast) (actually that's sort of buffoon-like)



Unless Bronco or Holmoe came out and told us that it was strictly Mendenhall and Broncos idea (which it wasn't) then the truth is it was an arranged marriage that Bronco agreed to. I don't think that carries the same weight as a hand picked assistant,

I liked George Bush Senior too. I bet that's who Bib was referring to



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
BoiseBYU wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Have to agree with most of what Craigo just said about how Bronco / Anae hire unfolded. IDK, but seems most plausible explanation.



But sorry Craig - I like Bush. Better Buffoon candidates would include Clinton and Obama.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Clinton isn't a buffoon, in fact he's probably the most clever president we've had in the modern age... however he's a criminal in many senses, and not to be trusted.



Obama isn't a buffoon either; he's an idealist with no foot on the ground... (like a hot air balloon with no ballast) (actually that's sort of buffoon-like)



Unless Bronco or Holmoe came out and told us that it was strictly Mendenhall and Broncos idea (which it wasn't) then the truth is it was an arranged marriage that Bronco agreed to. I don't think that carries the same weight as a hand picked assistant,

I liked George Bush Senior too. I bet that's who Bib was referring to



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I get to be that jerk poli sci guy who points out that George Herbert Walker Bush was the dad and George Walker Bush the son... Making "George Bush the first" more accurate than "George Bush Senior"



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
ABYUFAN wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
Have to agree with most of what Craigo just said about how Bronco / Anae hire unfolded. IDK, but seems most plausible explanation.



But sorry Craig - I like Bush. Better Buffoon candidates would include Clinton and Obama.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Clinton isn't a buffoon, in fact he's probably the most clever president we've had in the modern age... however he's a criminal in many senses, and not to be trusted.



Obama isn't a buffoon either; he's an idealist with no foot on the ground... (like a hot air balloon with no ballast) (actually that's sort of buffoon-like)



Unless Bronco or Holmoe came out and told us that it was strictly Mendenhall and Broncos idea (which it wasn't) then the truth is it was an arranged marriage that Bronco agreed to. I don't think that carries the same weight as a hand picked assistant,

I liked George Bush Senior too. I bet that's who Bib was referring to



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I get to be that jerk poli sci guy who points out that George Herbert Walker Bush was the dad and George Walker Bush the son... Making "George Bush the first" more accurate than "George Bush Senior"



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


^jerk ;)
C
Cougarbib
Bib liked both Presidents Bush - must be the Republican in me. I really liked Barbara Bush the best. Not sure about Jeb.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Bib liked both Presidents Bush - must be the Republican in me. I really liked Barbara Bush the best. Not sure about Jeb.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agreed. I don't think it is justified to be calling George W "a buffoon." Although I disagreed with him on immigration policy, I felt that he was heroic in his "war on terror." So what if he was mistaken about some things (need for earlier troop surge, etc)? His detractors tried to get us to focus on stutterings and mispronunciations, which have no bearing on intelligence or on integrity. I think history will look more kindly on both Presidents Bush than what many people have been saying so far. They were both decent, honorable gentlemen.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
BOID wrote:
Bib liked both Presidents Bush - must be the Republican in me. I really liked Barbara Bush the best. Not sure about Jeb.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agreed. I don't think it is justified to be calling George W "a buffoon." Although I disagreed with him on immigration policy, I felt that he was heroic in his "war on terror." So what if he was mistaken about some things (need for earlier troop surge, etc)? His detractors tried to get us to focus on stutterings and mispronunciations, which have no bearing on intelligence or on integrity. I think history will look more kindly on both Presidents Bush than what many people have been saying so far. They were both decent, honorable gentlemen.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Bush got bad advice from people he trusted. Then he continued to listen to those people after it was clear those people were giving him poor advice. Then he kept those people around to continue giving him bad advice once it was clear the previous advice they had given was poor. He allowed them too many opportunities to fix the mistakes they created.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.