Archived Topic

Bob Bostad for OC

by snoscythe · 1/1/2011

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I mentioned this in another thread, but I felt like it deserved it's own. The person I would most like to see as our new OC, and one I think would be a great fit is Bob Bostad out of Wisconsin.



Why? Bostad is the co-offensive coordinator (run-game coordinator) for one of the most prolific offenses in football. He has the experience to merit the position, and he's at the right position in his career to step up and do it on his own. What's more, he's not only cut from the same mold as Bronco (effort, trust and fidelity first) and he and Bronco worked together at UNM.



If BYU was going to remain in the MWC, we wouldn't have a shot at Bostad--he is a big-time talent who is looking to step up, and going from co-coordinator in the Big-10 to coordinator in the MWC isn't a vertical move. Going to an independent BYU is different though, and I know that Bostad is interested in the opening.



Anyways, just my two-cents. I know Bronco said Doman is the best QB coach in the country, but that doesn't mean he isn't looking for the best available OC that fits the program, and I think Bostad has a leg up on Doman. Maybe Doman could be retained as a pass-game coordinator?
C
CougarClaw
i'm a fan.
B
bball
But does he know the passing game? BYU is not exactly the run capital of college football.
G
Guest
Anyone want to pull up the offensive stats for Bostad?
S
snoscythe
Just some Bostad quotes to give you an idea for his personality and coaching style:



“My mentor has been hard work,” Bostad said. “I bit, scratched and clawed for everything I’ve got. I have no lineage, I have no pedigree. The guys that I’ve coached, we’ve always prided ourselves on out-working people. Out-working them, out-hitting them… Kids had a lot of pride in that and start to develop that and believe in it.”
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
bball wrote:
But does he know the passing game? BYU is not exactly the run capital of college football.


i thought for 15 minutes to make some kind of joke about this, but I couldnt' get away from the fact that we ran more succesfully than we passed this year behind our 3-headed monster who we get back next year not to mention the fact that Phillips is going to push for playing time as well...



I think having a run guy is NOT going to be a problem for us.



and I still couldn't think of anything funny.
J
jonnylingo
CougarClaw wrote:
But does he know the passing game? BYU is not exactly the run capital of college football.


i thought for 15 minutes to make some kind of joke about this, but I couldnt' get away from the fact that we ran more succesfully than we passed this year behind our 3-headed monster who we get back next year not to mention the fact that Phillips is going to push for playing time as well...



I think having a run guy is NOT going to be a problem for us.



and I still couldn't think of anything funny.


not just philips but we have another speedy guy, was it adam timo or .... adam someone.
B
Brayden Green
jonnylingo wrote:
bball wrote:
But does he know the passing game? BYU is not exactly the run capital of college football.


i thought for 15 minutes to make some kind of joke about this, but I couldnt' get away from the fact that we ran more succesfully than we passed this year behind our 3-headed monster who we get back next year not to mention the fact that Phillips is going to push for playing time as well...



I think having a run guy is NOT going to be a problem for us.



and I still couldn't think of anything funny.


not just philips but we have another speedy guy, was it adam timo or .... adam someone.


Yeah, Adam Timo. But he changed his name to Adam Hines (took his mothers name, or his dads... I think it is his moms...)



I don't care what our offense looks like, as long as we are not Air Force, and not Hawaii. As long as we can keep the defense honest, I don't care what we do. We are traditionally a pass-happy university with a solid running game (most years). I don't mind running to set up the pass, as long as it gets to that.
S
SpiffCoug
It really wouldn't surprise me to see a coach most of us haven't heard of come on board.
B
byutx
kitic77 wrote:
It really wouldn't surprise me to see a coach most of us haven't heard of come on board.

Yep.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
hawkwing wrote:
Anyone want to pull up the offensive stats for Bostad?

He's been the run game coordinator since 2007.

2010 Rushing: 247.4 ypg

2010 PER: 167.39



2009 Rushing: 203.9 ypg

2009 PER: 141.01



2008 Rushing: 211.2 ypg

2008 PER: 120.07



2007 Rushing: 200.8 ypg

2007 PER: 132.58



I included the PER because, while he hasn't been involved with the passing game, he should have some feel for it and to show what kind of balance the Wisconsin offense had.



By comparison, BYU has averaged 168.1, 145.7, 134.0 and 144.4 ypg rushing the last four years. And our PER has been 115.09, 160.71, 155.06, 136.31.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sno, what have we seen from various OC's and DC's? They are what they are and what their past evinces. What in Bostad's past suggests he can work his scheme into a passing school? I don't know the guy anymore than what you presented, so maybe there is some evidence to suggest he wouldn't stifle the pass game. I hate to borrow this, but " a pig with lipstick [or work ethic] is still just a pig ."

Are we just reacting bc we want to fill the void that anae seemed to have created in questionable work ethic? Or is this a non-vote against Doman bc he has no experience as OC.............................similar to Anae who was only the O-line coach at TT?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
kitic77 wrote:
Anyone want to pull up the offensive stats for Bostad?

He's been the run game coordinator since 2007.

2010 Rushing: 247.4 ypg

2010 PER: 167.39



2009 Rushing: 203.9 ypg

2009 PER: 141.01



2008 Rushing: 211.2 ypg

2008 PER: 120.07



2007 Rushing: 200.8 ypg

2007 PER: 132.58



I included the PER because, while he hasn't been involved with the passing game, he should have some feel for it and to show what kind of balance the Wisconsin offense had.



By comparison, BYU has averaged 168.1, 145.7, 134.0 and 144.4 ypg rushing the last four years. And our PER has been 115.09, 160.71, 155.06, 136.31.


In 2008, Wisconsin split QB time between Sherer and Evridge, neither of whom played in 2007, so that explains the low PER in 2008. 2009 was Tolzien's first year as starter, and he's turned out to be a very efficient QB as a senior.
C
Cougs_Rule
kitic77 wrote:
Anyone want to pull up the offensive stats for Bostad?

He's been the run game coordinator since 2007.

2010 Rushing: 247.4 ypg

2010 PER: 167.39



2009 Rushing: 203.9 ypg

2009 PER: 141.01



2008 Rushing: 211.2 ypg

2008 PER: 120.07



2007 Rushing: 200.8 ypg

2007 PER: 132.58



I included the PER because, while he hasn't been involved with the passing game, he should have some feel for it and to show what kind of balance the Wisconsin offense had.



By comparison, BYU has averaged 168.1, 145.7, 134.0 and 144.4 ypg rushing the last four years. And our PER has been 115.09, 160.71, 155.06, 136.31.


Helpful stats. I would also like to see passing ypg. PER, while valid toward wins, seems as much about the players talents as scheme.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Don't we want a pass guy whoi works in the run? Do we really want a run guy forst who capitulates and gives lip service to the pass? Why does there need to be a separate "pass coordinator"?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
If Doman is not our OC, he will be gone. He has offers to be OC on his plate and is just waiting on BYU to formalize from what I hear. IF BYU offers anyone else, we lose him because he will leave BYU for a promotion. His goal is to be a HC someday, and staying the QB coach at BYU when he could get a promo elsewhere makes no sense.



Point being, if it is Bolstad, it will come at the cost of losing Doman. Rumors are that Texas has offered him their OC job. which I would discount but for the fact TExas has it pick of guys, yet has not named one yet? WHy? Waiting perhaps on Doman??
B
BigCougsFan
Lawboy wrote:
Rumors are that Texas has offered him their OC job. which I would discount but for the fact TExas has it pick of guys, yet has not named one yet? WHy? Waiting perhaps on Doman??


Texas offered Doman the OC job?



What's good in Texas :sick:

;)
S
SpiffCoug
dmcougar wrote:
Don't we want a pass guy whoi works in the run? Do we really want a run guy forst who capitulates and gives lip service to the pass? Why does there need to be a separate "pass coordinator"?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

What we need is a guy who plays to our strengths offensively. I'm not sure Anae did that. I think he wanted to throw it much more than we did, but Bronco reigned him in. I think we're a much more power team than Anae wanted us to be. In some regards, we're more like Wisconsin than Texas Tech when it comes to personnel. We have huge OL and power backs.



I don't care if we have an OC who is run or pass happy. I want a guy who wins games and plays to our strengths. We finally did that this year after the bye week (minus the Utah game, when our coaches were too scared to keep doing that and went away from what had been working for a month).
C
CougarPeasant
I want Bronco to get the best man for the job. If it is Doman, that is great. I think that Doman would benefit from coaching at another place, which could lead to a HC position in a few years. I think Bronco will continue coaching at BYU long enough that Doman could get more experience elsewhere and be a better HC when the BYU position finally opens up.



If Bostad comes in and shakes up the run game and makes it stronger, all the better. I want to see a well balanced offense for BYU that can impose its will to finish games, unlike what happened against :utard: this season. As fun as it is to see BYU pass for 500 yards a game, those days are over. I much prefer seeing the team pass for 250-300 and rush for close to 200.



Yet, most importantly, I want to win. WIN WIN WIN I could care less if the offense ran a steady diet of trick plays as long as they are successful and allow the team to score more points than the opponent.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
If Doman is not our OC, he will be gone. He has offers to be OC on his plate and is just waiting on BYU to formalize from what I hear. IF BYU offers anyone else, we lose him because he will leave BYU for a promotion. His goal is to be a HC someday, and staying the QB coach at BYU when he could get a promo elsewhere makes no sense.



Point being, if it is Bolstad, it will come at the cost of losing Doman. Rumors are that Texas has offered him their OC job. which I would discount but for the fact TExas has it pick of guys, yet has not named one yet? WHy? Waiting perhaps on Doman??


Sorry Lawboy, but Doman is not even on Texas' radar for offensive coordinator. Mack makes up his mind who he wants to hire before the University publishes the opening, and Bellmont tailors the job prerequisites to fit whoever Mack has predetermined to hire. It allows them to go through all of the pretending to have open interviews etc and avoid possible discrimination claims but without really opening the job up. Bellmont has posted three requirements for the OC position at Texas--(1) Minimum 5 years of coaching experience in college; (2) Experience coaching in the NFL; and (3) Experience coaching at BCS school.



Doman does not meet two of the three prerequisites for the Texas OC position--his resume won't even make it past the receptionist's desk. This is just a rumor that's been thrown around by the BYU fans who are convinced Doman is irreplaceable.



Texas has their OC. It won't be announced until after he wraps the season with his current team, and it's someone who meets those three criteria.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.