Archived Topic

Abouo - Largest Diappointment So Far This Year?

by Sci-LA Tea Eyes · 12/31/2010

Advertisement
S
Sci-LA Tea Eyes
Not to be hard on the guy - but let's be honest, his play has been pretty disappointing.



Charles wasn't like *certain* BYU players in that there's not a lot expected of him... since I can remember the expectations have been high for him. And I'll be honest - I felt for a long time like he should be getting minutes over certain other 3's and 4's - he plays tough, rebounds pretty well... or perhaps I should say "played?"



He looks phased this season. Many excuses have been made - maybe he's injured, maybe he's tired from playing during the off-season (but wasn't that a reason he was supposed to be improved), he's young, etc. I'm beginning to think that maybe Abouo is nothing more than an X-factor coming off the bench for BYU - for a long time I expected he might be a very key player - he looked high-tempo, physical, and capable. Lately he's looked lackadaisical, clumsy, and lacking confidence.



Hope he makes a turnaround!
S
SpiffCoug
I haven't been disappointed by anyone this year.
Y
YBrit
kitic77 wrote:
I haven't been disappointed by anyone this year.


Probly since games aren't tv.



His presence on the court is scary to opponents, James Anderson presence on the court...not so much.
G
gmj81
I gotta agree. I mean, it could have been explained away that he lost his starting role to Haws, a freshman, when he was a sophomore and Haws was such a great shooter. And Kyle is another great freshman. But there is no way someone with as much potential as Charles should be giving way to a true freshman, even one as talented as Kyle. The guy showed some real promise his freshman season, then last year looked to be a strong candidate to finish out strong his final two to three seasons in Provo. But he hasn't hit the broad side of a barn from range this year and can't even finish around the basket. Other players have had slumps but Charles has been that way this whole season. I mean seriously, I can't even count on one hand the number of missed dunks he's had this year alone. For someone as athletic as Charles that is frankly a little sad. I hate to rag on the guy. He does bring some other value to the team in his defense and rebounding but still, he's by far the biggest disappointment for me this year.
G
Gunk
Defense wins championships. When Jimmer's shot is off, Emery can't hit the broad side of a barn and the post game is a no-show the only thing that's kept us in games this season has been our defense. We're 13 and 1 right now while shooting 88th in the nation. Two weeks ago we were around 150th in the nation. Don't under estimate the value of defense and Abouo's effort on that side of the ball.



Next game, watch Abouo on defense. Guy is the hardest working player on defense. He often covers either the shooting guard or small forward of the opposing team and occasionally the power forward. By nature these are high mobility positions and Abouo stays on them like glue, an aspect of defense that too often goes unnoticed. Rather than try to defend the player with the ball, Abouo simply makes sure that player doesn't get the ball. Take note next time how often an opponent scores on Abouo. IMO, it takes twice as much energy to play solid D than it does to play offense.



Abouo is a very defensive minded person. He plays for the Ivory Coast national team, which on the international circuit is not a contender by any means. Still, though, he plays against some of the world's best players and when you're outmatched, you hunker down on D.



And don't forget he's tied with Noah for the teams' leading rebounder and before this week was the team's leading rebounder.



That said, I admit I had high hopes for Abouo on the offensive side of things. I think this is largely a confidence issue as opposed to an ability issue, and I think to get over the hump, Rose needs to show a bit more confidence in Abouo rather than yanking him after a missed shot.



That said, 13 - 1 is nothing to be disappointed about.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I haven't been "disappointed" by anyone either this year.
S
scott715
I hope Rose plays him and Rogers most of the game today. This is a chance to develop the bench more.
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:
I hope Rose plays him and Rogers most of the game today. This is a chance to develop the bench more.

I don't want Emery to play more than 10 minutes tonight. He's banged up. Let him rest for UNLV on Wed. There's no reason Jimmer should play more than 20 minutes tonight either. Like you said, this is a great game for starters to get a rest. I'd even be willing to let Jax and Jimmer sit the whole game.
S
scott715
Agreed it is only an exhibition. Sit the starters.
G
gmj81
Gunk wrote:
Defense wins championships. When Jimmer's shot is off, Emery can't hit the broad side of a barn and the post game is a no-show the only thing that's kept us in games this season has been our defense. We're 13 and 1 right now while shooting 88th in the nation. Two weeks ago we were around 150th in the nation. Don't under estimate the value of defense and Abouo's effort on that side of the ball.



Next game, watch Abouo on defense. Guy is the hardest working player on defense. He often covers either the shooting guard or small forward of the opposing team and occasionally the power forward. By nature these are high mobility positions and Abouo stays on them like glue, an aspect of defense that too often goes unnoticed. Rather than try to defend the player with the ball, Abouo simply makes sure that player doesn't get the ball. Take note next time how often an opponent scores on Abouo. IMO, it takes twice as much energy to play solid D than it does to play offense.



Abouo is a very defensive minded person. He plays for the Ivory Coast national team, which on the international circuit is not a contender by any means. Still, though, he plays against some of the world's best players and when you're outmatched, you hunker down on D.



And don't forget he's tied with Noah for the teams' leading rebounder and before this week was the team's leading rebounder.



That said, I admit I had high hopes for Abouo on the offensive side of things. I think this is largely a confidence issue as opposed to an ability issue, and I think to get over the hump, Rose needs to show a bit more confidence in Abouo rather than yanking him after a missed shot.



That said, 13 - 1 is nothing to be disappointed about.


I have recognized multiple times this season that our record, well maybe not our record, but our average margin of victory is kind of shocking because of our shooting woes and occasional struggles to get into a rhythm and that our improved defense and rebounding help explain how we've done it. And I certainly recognize Abouo's efforts have been a huge part of that. That still doesn't change the fact he's been a disappointment for me thus far this year. He wasn't awful offensively last year and with his athleticism, one more year of experience and other players moving on (like Tav and Miles), I expected a lot more out of him this year. He's still got another season and a half to pick it up but so far I'm pretty disappointed by him. Especially when a true freshman has been able to come in and get more minutes and out perform him in just about every statistic and ain't too shabby defensively either (speaking of K. Collinsworth of course).
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.