Archived Topic

So who's next? Jordan Loveridge, Jordan Chatman (and a JUCO)

by craigoscarson · 12/22/2010

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Now that we've filled our open scholarships, we know that Tyrell Corbin will be going elswhere so we can start thinking about 2011-12 recruiting and the 2 big names are:



Jordan Chatman (BYU legend Jeff Chatmans son, if you don't know who Jeff Chatman is then you're either too young to remember, or you're not a true BYU fan)

One of the Cougars' primary targets from the class of 2012 (this year's juniors) will undoubtedly be Jordan Chatman, the son of former Cougar Jeff Chatman. Jordan Chatman has offers from BYU, Utah State and others.

The 6-4 Chatman, from Ridgefield, Wash., was recently upgraded by ESPN Recruiting to the No. 98 prospect in the class of 2012, and the 10th ranked point guard.

Here's what the service wrote about the junior:

"Chatman projects as a Division I combo-guard for the next level. He has a chiseled frame with good length and he is a solid athlete. He uses his strength to carry defenders on his hip and he always has his head up. He is a willing passer and his IQ for the game is quite high. He advances the ball well in transition and he is always trying to find a weakness in the defense. His mid-range pull-up jump shot is solid as well, especially in transition."




http://cougarsportsline.blogspot.com/2010/09/byu-basketballs-next-legacy-recruit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EolWNK0c64



Jordan Loveridge (as close to Jabari as we're going to get for next season) He's a must get 3-4 guy.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUCMUr5UdHc

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700093915/High-schooll-boys-basketball-Jaguars-Jordan-Loveridge-lights-up-Cottonwood-for-40-points.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
beauso79
Do we have a shot at a kid like Rosco Allen?? Could you imagine a recruiting class of Chatman, Loveridge, and Allen??
G
gmj81
After this year we have three guys leaving in Fredette, Emery, and Magnusson. We've already given out their scholarships to Harrison, Neilson, and now Carlino though Neilson as I recall is a mission first kid so he won't count against the scholie total until 2013. Ian Harward and Nate Austin should both be returning in time for 2011 I believe so that's two more scholies to count which unless my math is off somewhere means someone is going to lose their scholie next season (Anderson, Zylstra, Martineau, newcomer?)



After the 2011 season, Abouo, Anderson, and Hartsock will all be leaving. So that should open the door for three commits in the 2012 class. Let's hope that those include a few of the ones mentioned by Craigo and beauso. As I recall, there's another kid in Vegas (a small poly I believe) that is quite the baller too. I wonder if we couldn't get him to walk-on in hopes he'd earn a scholie down the road should he wind up playing heavily for the Cougs.
C
craigoscarson
gmj81 wrote:
After this year we have three guys leaving in Fredette, Emery, and Magnusson. We've already given out their scholarships to Harrison, Neilson, and now Carlino though Neilson as I recall is a mission first kid so he won't count against the scholie total until 2013. Ian Harward and Nate Austin should both be returning in time for 2011 I believe so that's two more scholies to count which unless my math is off somewhere means someone is going to lose their scholie next season (Anderson, Zylstra, Martineau, newcomer?)



After the 2011 season, Abouo, Anderson, and Hartsock will all be leaving. So that should open the door for three commits in the 2012 class. Let's hope that those include a few of the ones mentioned by Craigo and beauso. As I recall, there's another kid in Vegas (a small poly I believe) that is quite the baller too. I wonder if we couldn't get him to walk-on in hopes he'd earn a scholie down the road should he wind up playing heavily for the Cougs.


Kyle Collinsworth = mission + Emery, Jimmer, Logan = 4 available scholarships = carlino, harrison, austin, harward...



(not that I'm opposed to martineau or zylstra losing their scholarship next year for an improved contributor)



The poly in Vegas is Viko Nomaeea and he's good, just not as good or polished as Carlino. I'm hoping Viko walks on or mission 1st then BYU. (He's already better than Martineau)



The tricky thing now is to balance scholarships vs the return of Tyler Haws and Kyle Collinsworth; I dont' think we'll sign another true 3 for sometime - rather we'll go after the 3-4s (Loveridge) and 1-2s (Chatman) and maybe a Keena Young type 4-5 (JUCO ranks... crossing my fingers for a splash there)
G
gmj81
Yep, you got it on both accounts Craigo. Kyle is the other "departee" and Viko is the kid I'm thinking of.



So RMs in the fold that need to be kept track of are:



2011 - Harward, Austin

2012 - Haws

2013 - Neilson, Collinsworth



And so far Harrison doesn't appear to have mission plans.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
gmj81 wrote:
Yep, you got it on both accounts Craigo. Kyle is the other "departee" and Viko is the kid I'm thinking of.



So RMs in the fold that need to be kept track of are:



2011 - Harward, Austin

2012 - Haws

2013 - Neilson, Collinsworth



And so far Harrison doesn't appear to have mission plans.


Harrison and a mission really changes things as far as Greg Roses spreadsheet goes; I really had no idea what his plans were, particuarly since his big brother is in the MTC as we speak



(the spreadsheet is awesome -check out it on basketball stickies).
S
sage
craigoscarson wrote:
Yep, you got it on both accounts Craigo. Kyle is the other "departee" and Viko is the kid I'm thinking of.



So RMs in the fold that need to be kept track of are:



2011 - Harward, Austin

2012 - Haws

2013 - Neilson, Collinsworth



.................

(the spreadsheet is awesome -check out it on basketball stickies).


Where is this spreadsheet?
Q
Qman
Hmm I wish there some highlights of Chatman getting all the way to the hoop and finishing. But he looks like a solid passer and he has a polished midrange game.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.