Archived Topic

Breaking News: Detmer not interested in BYU jobs

by hawkwing · 12/21/2010

Advertisement
G
Guest
As per Jay Drew, Detmer hasn't applied for anything at BYU and has no interest to either.
C
CougarPeasant
That sucks, but better to know now so the speculation can pass him over.
L
Lawboy
Yeah, and as of yesterday, BYU had the same coaches. Things change. I do think Doman is the OC next year. See the other Drew tweet. Doman is in demand, with good reason. Lock him up 3-4 years.
C
CannonCougar85
Buuuuuuutttttt.... Detmer is interested! As per Brandon Gurney:
Detmer is a possibility...not just speculation..he has been in contact with BYU and is interested


Buuuuuuttttt...Detmer is not interested as per Jay Drew:
Two reliable sources are telling me that Ty Detmer has very little interest in coaching at BYU right now, has not applied for anything.


It's up to you to decide who you want to believe.
B
byutx
Don't take Drew's word on this one fellas.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
byutx wrote:
Don't take Drew's word on this one fellas.


Sounds like you have some insight. I hope Drew is wrong. I'd love to see Detmer coaching @ BYU!!
B
byutx
Ddawg wrote:
Don't take Drew's word on this one fellas.


Sounds like you have some insight. I hope Drew is wrong. I'd love to see Detmer coaching @ BYU!!

There is ABSOLUTELY interest from Ty and BYU. It's certainly not a done deal but I've heard some amazing stuff tonight from TBS chat from some big time sources.
C
Cougs_Rule
Hans Olson said at 5:30pm monday, on the Gordon Monson's show on 1280, that Detmer applied last week to "coach" at BYU.
M
Mingjai
If anything, Detmer is officially denying interest because he's not sure of the status of the current occupier of the position he applied for. Out of respect to the current coach, he can't say he's interested until publicly he's sure there's an opening.
S
SpiffCoug
Neither those reporting that Detmer is or isn't interested is basing this on information from Detmer. It's all, "my sources say he's interested and been in contact" or "my sources say he hasn't been contacted."



Personally, I think he would be interested. I also think Jay Drew's "source" on this may be Brett Pyne, who like I said in another thread, is never in the loop. I don't think he would know if Detmer was interested or not and I doubt any application would come through his office.
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
Logic alone dictates that he would be interested. HS vs Coaching at college Alma Mater. Could be a nice pay raise (hard to tell because them there TX HS coaching salaries are probably higher than the old College coaching salaries).

Recruiting trips, working with all D-1 talent, playing in big time venues on national TV, etc.



Nope, no interest at all! :roll:
S
snoscythe
Just a quick FWIW, some people have been opining that because Ty is involved with some lawsuits he might need the money--nothing could be further from the truth.



Let me just make it clear--yes, Ty has legal trouble right now, but absolutely no--he does not have money trouble right now and no matter how his legal stuff turns out, Ty will be comfy for the rest of his life, trust me.
B
byutx
snoscythe wrote:
Just a quick FWIW, some people have been opining that because Ty is involved with some lawsuits he might need the money--nothing could be further from the truth.



Let me just make it clear--yes, Ty has legal trouble right now, but absolutely no--he does not have money trouble right now and no matter how his legal stuff turns out, Ty will be comfy for the rest of his life, trust me.

You have earned credibility here, but so has another who has told me the exact opposite.
L
Lawboy
I think this is all political. BYU is interviewing, and has a timeline in mind. Things have been negotiated. Part of the timeline is to allow current coaches on staff to look for new jobs prior to naming their successors. If they miss that window, BYU annouces. If they land something, the announcement coes sooner. Beleive me when I say that the Harmon announcement yesterday came earlier than they hoped, but that is how it went down. Interviews have taken place. Not will, HAVE. Beofrethe NM Bowl. I am sure byutx can back me on this as well.
C
CougarClaw
Lawboy wrote:
Part of the timeline is to allow current coaches on staff to look for new jobs prior to naming their successors.


clearly BYU is not taking ME into consideration here.



I've been left in a lurch and need to know which amazing new hero is going to be on the sidelines! What about MY needs Bronco? What about ME???
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
byutx wrote:
Just a quick FWIW, some people have been opining that because Ty is involved with some lawsuits he might need the money--nothing could be further from the truth.



Let me just make it clear--yes, Ty has legal trouble right now, but absolutely no--he does not have money trouble right now and no matter how his legal stuff turns out, Ty will be comfy for the rest of his life, trust me.

You have earned credibility here, but so has another who has told me the exact opposite.


I thought Ty would be living off his NFL pension at worse, which is off limits to lawsuits. I would assume that the errors and omissions insurance would shield him from further liability.
C
CougarPeasant
Lawboy wrote:
I think this is all political. BYU is interviewing, and has a timeline in mind. Things have been negotiated. Part of the timeline is to allow current coaches on staff to look for new jobs prior to naming their successors. If they miss that window, BYU annouces. If they land something, the announcement coes sooner. Beleive me when I say that the Harmon announcement yesterday came earlier than they hoped, but that is how it went down. Interviews have taken place. Not will, HAVE. Beofrethe NM Bowl. I am sure byutx can back me on this as well.


Drew, Gurney, and Harmon either report that Detmer isn't interested or they just don't know. Looks like Drew caused more speculation than not with his tweet last night. 8)
B
byutx
Lawboy wrote:
I think this is all political. BYU is interviewing, and has a timeline in mind. Things have been negotiated. Part of the timeline is to allow current coaches on staff to look for new jobs prior to naming their successors. If they miss that window, BYU annouces. If they land something, the announcement coes sooner. Beleive me when I say that the Harmon announcement yesterday came earlier than they hoped, but that is how it went down. Interviews have taken place. Not will, HAVE. Beofrethe NM Bowl. I am sure byutx can back me on this as well.

I have heard rumors to that effect, but not from any big-time sources. I do know that Detmer is interested, but it's certainly not a done deal.
B
byucougar1
It is rumored that Detmer visited campus on Wednesday, Dec. 15th, prior to the Bowl Game in Albuquerque.



My feelings and positives, as I have expressed in previous posts regarding Detmer, is that he would be perfect for the QBs as he has a 14-year career assisting coaching staffs QBs because of his football knowledge. He also has been raised as the son os Sonny Detmer (not only one of the most respected coaches in TX) but who sent two sons as QBs to the NFL.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.