Archived Topic

Have you ever been let go and had to reapply for your job?

by hawkwing · 12/21/2010

Advertisement
G
Guest
Just curious if this has ever come up at your work? I know a few places that did it and not many of the employees really appreciated it. Even the ones who were "obviously safe."
C
CougarPeasant
Yeah, it's called showing up. Everyday I return I am rehired. ;)



Of course the boss probably wishes I didn't. :(
S
SpiffCoug
When I got "promoted" from Training NCO to Readiness NCO they interviewed me. It's extremely rare for a Training NCO not to become the next Readiness NCO, but it does happen. They had me re-interview just to make sure. If I hadn't done well, I could have remained the Training and the Readiness position would have been "bid to the street."
H
HoosierCougar
Happened at my first job. I ended up with a promotion and a TON more responsibility and access to senior managers.



It happened at my current company prior to my tenure. It was during a merger and a lot of people were let go. It's interesting because there are still (15 yrs later) some real questions about why we kept some folks. They aren't performers and have trouble adapting to changes in market conditions and resulting changes in strategy.



If it happens again, I'll relish it. Without trying to be arrogant, I see it as a chance to build on my current successes and reaffirm my value to the firm.
C
cougdoc
It happened once at my current job, one pay grade below mine. That got really ugly, because the movement was all lateral and everyone was rehired, so I think it was just management's way of rearranging the deck chairs while hoping some would just leave. This situation is different; imagine you come to work one day and in a meeting with your immediate inferior, your immediate superior and your organization's CEO, you are told that all of your positions are now open and you are all invited to apply for any or all of them. And then, the CEO leaves for a vacation?! I can only imagine the strained conversations amongst the staff right now. I don't have any knowledge of whose decision resulted in the two-quarterback system, but his collar probably feels a little tight right now. Perhaps, like the mangament at my job did, Bronco is hoping that strong personalities rise to the top while he is gone and the timid choose to walk away in his absence.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Yes. For the past 10 years I have been on a Federal Incident Management Team that manages large wildfires & disasters. We went to New Orleans & Katrina, up to Alska, etc.



Every year I have to re-apply for my position on the team & compete with other people that want my job. For 10 years, I am always invited back. It's a process that keeps me on my toes though - they can replace me at anytime.
I
IowaCougar
If something like that happened here, I think the key would be whether they did it with the entire department, or pay-level. If it was fairly universal, I don't think most people would be offended. If it was targeted to only a few, I would think I would see the writing on the wall.



I have had my job eliminated as a result of a merger before. We were all invited to apply for jobs with the new company, and the company line was that there were many openings, and if we were willing to relocate, and had the qualifications, we would have a job. When it came time for the interview, however, it became clear that they had no intention of retaining us. It turned out great for me, however, as I got a great job with another company, and got to keep my severence!
C
CrimsonCoug
About 10 years ago or so, there was a big shake-up at the World Bank where everyone not a political appointee was let go and invited to reapply. I got there a few years afterward and everyone said it was crazy, but ultimately helpful. Got rid of a lot of dead wood.



As a management strategy, I'd guess that this tactic works better in a huge organization like the Bank than something as intimate as a football coaching staff.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.