Archived Topic

What now?

by SpiffCoug · 12/19/2010

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Here's the case that could be made:



- The most points ever in a bowl game.

- 2nd best PER ever in a bowl game.

- Tied for most ever TD passes in a bowl game.

- 28 first downs the 2nd most by the offense this year.



- 42 ppg after the bye week.

- 26 first downs a game after the bye week.

- 470 yards a game after the bye week.

- 59.5% on 3rd down after the bye week.

- More than 30 minutes of TOP each game after the bye week.

- 157.08 PER after the bye week.
Y
Y 4 Ever
kitic77 wrote:
Here's the case that could be made:



- The most points ever in a bowl game.

- 2nd best PER ever in a bowl game.

- Tied for most ever TD passes in a bowl game.

- 28 first downs the 2nd most by the offense this year.



- 42 ppg after the bye week.

- 26 first downs a game after the bye week.

- 470 yards a game after the bye week.

- 59.5% on 3rd down after the bye week.

- More than 30 minutes of TOP each game after the bye week.

- 157.08 PER after the bye week.

All against the worst bowl team we ever played



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarPeasant
I really don't know. Lawboy seems to be plugged into what's going on and that means Anae will be moving on. Perhaps this game was to showcase his abilities for his job search? Personally, if Anae learns from this season like Bronco learned from his poor choices to start the season, I think he will be very effect next season given all the talent returning.



I really don't buy the complaint that he's had NFL talent around him to bail him out when we won 10+ games each of the past 4 seasons. He's part of the reason they have become NFL talent in my opinion. When we lose, people complain it's all his fault. When we win, they say it's the players who won inspite of Anae. Will Anae lead us to a BCS bowl berth? I don't know. If Bronco decides it's time to get a new OC, I am fine with that. If he decides to keep Anae, I am fine with that too.
M
mizzoucoug
He cannot get us to the next level against top 15 BCS teams and that's all that matters going forward. I realize the grass is not always greener but he's had a number of years' try at this and it's just not happening.
A
AmmonCougar1
CougarPeasant wrote:
I really don't know. Lawboy seems to be plugged into what's going on and that means Anae will be moving on. Perhaps this game was to showcase his abilities for his job search? Personally, if Anae learns from this season like Bronco learned from his poor choices to start the season, I think he will be very effect next season given all the talent returning.



I really don't buy the complaint that he's had NFL talent around him to bail him out when we won 10+ games each of the past 4 seasons. He's part of the reason they have become NFL talent in my opinion. When we lose, people complain it's all his fault. When we win, they say it's the players who won inspite of Anae. Will Anae lead us to a BCS bowl berth? I don't know. If Bronco decides it's time to get a new OC, I am fine with that. If he decides to keep Anae, I am fine with that too.


I concur.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
Advertisement
B
bball
Stats lie. The problem I have with Anae is he is a terrible play caller. Anae gets out coached game after game. Especially on critical plays, the defensive coach will outwit Anae 9 times out of ten--this is what drives me nuts. I'm watching the game on TV, I know what Anae has called, I can see the defense has 10 guys in the box, and Anae runs some dumb running play up the middle that gains nothing. He just gets out coached. Maybe he can be excused early in the season, but the worst play calling of all time was the 4th quarter of the Utah game. Doing ok today, against an awful UTEP team does not negate all this terrible play calling. If BYU is going to be a national power, BYU must have a world class play caller; who that is I don't know, but it definitely is not Anae.
S
SpiffCoug
We did more than "ok" today. But I still don't think it was enough. As good as BYU was after the bye week, we were even worse prior to it. Jake Heaps was on a course to be the worst statistical starting QB ever at BYU.



I do think a case could be made to keep Anae, I just don't think the late season push was enough.
B
BroncoBot
Keep him. he had chemistry/defensive issues he was fighting at the beginning of the year, he killed it the second half, against worst teams of course, but he was getting the job done. I agree that hopefully he has learned from this year/past years and comes out ready open up the playbook.



I don't understand the argument that anae can't get it done against top teams. First show me who has excelled against top 15 teams and then tell me how BYU is going to get those coaches.



Another argument I've heard a few times is the years 05 and 10 were sub par years. 05 was expected. I was just happy to get to a bowl game after all the crowton years. This season was a surprising, but like I said, he had a defense that put him in some really bad spots, had one qb playing hurt, and another who was a true freshman, and too much inexperience on both sides of the ball to cover all the weaknesses that BYU was trying to cover up. AND byu had one of the most difficult schedules to start the year. So looking back I don't think everything can be put on Anae.



I have no idea what will happen, but wouldn't mind another year with Anae.
W
Wickchad
Every game has some of these gems with Anae calling the plays:



2nd and 1 and we run a screen pass for -3 yards.



1st and goal from the 1 yard line. We line up in the shotgun and try to run the ball for -1 yards.





At this point I just shake my head when he does things like that. We still win in spite of Anae. I can only imagine how good we could be with a coach that can actually out game plan the opposition.
C
CougarClaw
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
I really don't know. Lawboy seems to be plugged into what's going on and that means Anae will be moving on. Perhaps this game was to showcase his abilities for his job search? Personally, if Anae learns from this season like Bronco learned from his poor choices to start the season, I think he will be very effect next season given all the talent returning.



I really don't buy the complaint that he's had NFL talent around him to bail him out when we won 10 games each of the past 4 seasons. He's part of the reason they have become NFL talent in my opinion. When we lose, people complain it's all his fault. When we win, they say it's the players who won inspite of Anae. Will Anae lead us to a BCS bowl berth? I don't know. If Bronco decides it's time to get a new OC, I am fine with that. If he decides to keep Anae, I am fine with that too.


I concur.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


So Anae beats every team out there except top -15 teams.



The odds of us getting someone better than that are NOT very good especially if we're trying someone new out. While I'm beginning to lean towards keeping the man, just as long as he promises never to run a two qb system again, I can hear it now. We start next year with our brand new "amazing" OC, and we go 0-2 and OH HOW THE CHORUS WILL SWELL! Back to Anae they'll say! Back to Anae!!! :roll: :roll:
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Most teams don't beat Top 15 teams with great regularity. This year's top 15 teams have a combined 18 losses between them. They're a combined 166-18 (.902). Top 15 don't lose a whole lot.
B
BroncoBot
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Every game has some of these gems with Anae calling the plays:



2nd and 1 and we run a screen pass for -3 yards.



1st and goal from the 1 yard line. We line up in the shotgun and try to run the ball for -1 yards.





At this point I just shake my head when he does things like that. We still win in spite of Anae. I can only imagine how good we could be with a coach that can actually out game plan the opposition.

yeah, that stuff never happens with other teams. Other teams always score from the 1 yard line.
P
pikoi
declocoug wrote:
Every game has some of these gems with Anae calling the plays:



2nd and 1 and we run a screen pass for -3 yards.



1st and goal from the 1 yard line. We line up in the shotgun and try to run the ball for -1 yards.





At this point I just shake my head when he does things like that. We still win in spite of Anae. I can only imagine how good we could be with a coach that can actually out game plan the opposition.

yeah, that stuff never happens with other teams. Other teams always score from the 1 yard line.


You are right, plenty of running plays go for negative yards on 1st and goal from the one foot line. Its just odd to lineup on the goal line in a shotgun formation and then try a delayed run up the middle when you have a team that is nearly guaranteed to get 1 yard out of the I-formation.
B
BroncoBot
pikoi wrote:
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Every game has some of these gems with Anae calling the plays:



2nd and 1 and we run a screen pass for -3 yards.



1st and goal from the 1 yard line. We line up in the shotgun and try to run the ball for -1 yards.





At this point I just shake my head when he does things like that. We still win in spite of Anae. I can only imagine how good we could be with a coach that can actually out game plan the opposition.

yeah, that stuff never happens with other teams. Other teams always score from the 1 yard line.


You are right, plenty of running plays go for negative yards on 1st and goal from the one foot line. Its just odd to lineup on the goal line in a shotgun formation and then try a delayed run up the middle when you have a team that is nearly guaranteed to get 1 yard out of the I-formation.

I agree with the shotgun. Go power I and run some play action if you want to pass.
S
SpiffCoug
BYU had 24 3&Outs before the bye week. We had five after the bye.

Before the bye: 18 plays of 20 or more yards. After the bye: 25 plays.

Before the bye: 16 conversions on 3&7 or longer on 70 attempts. After the bye: 16 conversions on 40 attempts.

Before the bye: 303 ypg. After the bye: 469 ypg.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
It is not so much that I am plugged in, because I am not. Just that some people my brother knows are REALLY plugged in. He is typically my source, and it is very reliable.



If changes are made, and I believe that are already in motion based upon what I have been told, it is about more than game planning, play calling, etc. Other things there are more of a reason, but those things are part of it. Bronco is really looking to instill his culture, and not just on the defensive side of the ball.



Regardless, I wish any coach who is at BYU now well. Families are involved, so it is always a tough deal. But sometimes changes have to be made to keep things moving forward.
I
Italics
a good game - mainly due to great performances by our young and old players alike - won this game.



Anae is still useless and needs to go.
B
byutx
We can and will do better than Robert Anae.



Bronco wants a national title and I don't think he thinks Anae is the guy to get him there. He has proven that much. 10- and 11- win seasons aren't enough to get us a title.



He will be gone.
B
BigCougsFan
Anae's playcalling: He's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. He'll be nit-picked like no other, for as long as he's here.



It's probably better for Anae and his family to step down, instead of getting canned. Is there use for Anae in other things than playing OC?
B
Brayden Green
BigCougsFan wrote:
Anae's playcalling: He's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. He'll be nit-picked like no other, for as long as he's here.



It's probably better for Anae and his family to step down, instead of getting canned. Is there use for Anae in other things than playing OC?




Yeah, he is pretty good at mismanaging his position groups, too.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.