Archived Topic

A Look Forward to Ole Miss

by jonnylingo · 12/16/2010

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Why is it that I am not concerned with other teams running games now that Bronco is the DC at BYU again? I think the more concerning thing is if the rumors are true and BYU makes all the changes predicted with the offense, we will be breaking in a new OC against an SEC defense.
J
jonnylingo
frdbtr wrote:
Why is it that I am not concerned with other teams running games now that Bronco is the DC at BYU again? I think the more concerning thing is if the rumors are true and BYU makes all the changes predicted with the offense, we will be breaking in a new OC against an SEC defense.


Sounds like their defense was really good two years prior but that injuries made them struggle this year. I imagine their defense will be good again next year.
M
Mingjai
frdbtr wrote:
Why is it that I am not concerned with other teams running games now that Bronco is the DC at BYU again? I think the more concerning thing is if the rumors are true and BYU makes all the changes predicted with the offense, we will be breaking in a new OC against an SEC defense.


I think any changes to the offense--even if an outside offensive coordinator were brought in--will be more evolutionary than revolutionary. We'll see what happens...
L
Lawboy
They went 4-8 this year, and stopped no one. That with a guy considered to be one of the best defenders in the SEC graduating in Powe. They also had a 5th year senior transfer QB in Masoli, so they break in a new guy next year as well in game 1. They lost to both Vandy and Tennesse last year, and to Jasksonville State. I really like our chances, and am pumped to go. Will be my away trip game with my brothers next year.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Mingjai wrote:
Why is it that I am not concerned with other teams running games now that Bronco is the DC at BYU again? I think the more concerning thing is if the rumors are true and BYU makes all the changes predicted with the offense, we will be breaking in a new OC against an SEC defense.


I think any changes to the offense--even if an outside offensive coordinator were brought in--will be more evolutionary than revolutionary. We'll see what happens...


It depends IMO. If BYU hires someone who has never called a game before, you might see something like we saw against BC in 2005. No one excels on the first day of learning a new job. The hope is that over time, he will be better then Anae. Now, if we can somehow get a new OC in here that is an experienced play caller, that is a different story.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
They went 4-8 this year, and stopped no one. That with a guy considered to be one of the best defenders in the SEC graduating in Powe. They also had a 5th year senior transfer QB in Masoli, so they break in a new guy next year as well in game 1. They lost to both Vandy and Tennesse last year, and to Jasksonville State. I really like our chances, and am pumped to go. Will be my away trip game with my brothers next year.


I think I am going to go see us become 4-0 against texas instead.
Y
YBrit
jonnylingo wrote:
They went 4-8 this year, and stopped no one. That with a guy considered to be one of the best defenders in the SEC graduating in Powe. They also had a 5th year senior transfer QB in Masoli, so they break in a new guy next year as well in game 1. They lost to both Vandy and Tennesse last year, and to Jasksonville State. I really like our chances, and am pumped to go. Will be my away trip game with my brothers next year.


I think I am going to go see us become 4-0 against texas instead.




Considering I'll be there, I hope so.





I'm in England-it's snowing.
B
bball
To be honest, I almost believe Heaps could have called a better game on his own, than some of the games Anae called (like the Utah game). Anae should have been a great play caller by the last game of the year, but he was awful, just awful. So I don't think it will be any kind of negative if we have a new OC next year, it can't be worse, it can only be better.



BYU is not going to hire an option minded OC (Paul Johnson type), they will hire a spread/passing OC who knows that game. This is why I'm a bit nervous about Doman being the play caller, he was an option QB in high school and BYU modified their offense with some option calls when Doman was the QB. I just don't think BYU recruits the option and that was a big mistake this year to pretend we could do it--even with Nelson. They should have had him dropping back and throwing the ball (actually they should have had Heaps dropping back and throwing the ball).
C
crh55
bball wrote:
To be honest, I almost believe Heaps could have called a better game on his own, than some of the games Anae called (like the Utah game). Anae should have been a great play caller by the last game of the year, but he was awful, just awful. So I don't think it will be any kind of negative if we have a new OC next year, it can't be worse, it can only be better.



BYU is not going to hire an option minded OC (Paul Johnson type), they will hire a spread/passing OC who knows that game. This is why I'm a bit nervous about Doman being the play caller, he was an option QB in high school and BYU modified their offense with some option calls when Doman was the QB. I just don't think BYU recruits the option and that was a big mistake this year to pretend we could do it--even with Nelson. They should have had him dropping back and throwing the ball (actually they should have had Heaps dropping back and throwing the ball).




One would hope Bronco will stay away from an option heavy offense or OC for two reasons...



1) It clearly didn't work this year

2) It would be a huge "break from tradition"



I just hope we find someone else.



I will be seeing you at this one. My first road trip to an SEC venue. Go Cougs!
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
bball wrote:
To be honest, I almost believe Heaps could have called a better game on his own, than some of the games Anae called (like the Utah game).



:roll: Sometimes emotions make us say stupid things.
B
blue42
Lawboy wrote:
They went 4-8 this year, and stopped no one. That with a guy considered to be one of the best defenders in the SEC graduating in Powe. They also had a 5th year senior transfer QB in Masoli, so they break in a new guy next year as well in game 1. They lost to both Vandy and Tennesse last year, and to Jasksonville State. I really like our chances, and am pumped to go. Will be my away trip game with my brothers next year.


I don't know if I would be that confident about breaking in a new guy next year, Nathan Stanley, the back up QB this year was actually suppose to be the starter until 2 days before their first game and the mistake was made by the coach to use Masoli. I think the head coach was in love with the type of player Masoli was at Oregon and thought his great talent would overcome the lack of practice with the team. So Stanley has another year under his belt and may not have the deer in the headlights.(I had to check to see if I was talking about BYU or Ole Miss here!)



I will agree with you Ole Miss had a hard time stopping anyone this year and that would bode well for BYU if that trend continues next year. Here's for a win over the mighty SEC!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.