Archived Topic

Chambers

by frdbtr · 12/16/2010

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Reading the Twitter updates on the side, there are a few in relation to O Chambers. They refer to him having to walk on next year and redshirt. Sounds like Bronco has outlined how he can return to the team. I am interested to see what happens.
L
Lawboy
He is not on schollie for next year is all I know. So if he wants to stay at BYU, the kid is being given a way to do it, although a tough way. He sits out next year no matter, unless he goes to a Montana level school, so I suspect he stays or goes that route. Only 1 year to play.
C
Cougarfan87
Lawboy wrote:
He is not on schollie for next year is all I know. So if he wants to stay at BYU, the kid is being given a way to do it, although a tough way. He sits out next year no matter, unless he goes to a Montana level school, so I suspect he stays or goes that route. Only 1 year to play.


That year to play would be Heap's, Apo's, and Hoffman's Junior year. Not to mention Drew Phillips and other talented youngsters I am leaving out would be catching passes. I'm not sure OC would see the field with the line up in front of him. If being a starter is important to him, he will transfer.



And I would hold no ill will for him if he chooses to do so. You only get one chance to play college football. If you have already burned up that chance at one school, transferring may be the only way to help you live the dream. Of course, transferring to play one year doesn't usually turn out all that well either. I do not admire the tough situation OC is facing.
B
BigCougsFan
He hasn't transfered schools, unless he went to UVU. Is that technically a transfer? Why does he have to sit out one year?
C
Cougarfan87
BigCougsFan wrote:
He hasn't transfered schools, unless he went to UVU. Is that technically a transfer? Why does he have to sit out one year?
I think that is Bronco's stipulation, not an NCAA thing. But I could be wrong.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
BigCougsFan wrote:
He hasn't transfered schools, unless he went to UVU. Is that technically a transfer? Why does he have to sit out one year?


From what I am reading on the Twitter updates, Bronco has said that he can come back next year as a walk on but will have to redshirt. He is not allowing him to participate with the team. It is a Bronco stipulation for him if he wants to stay at BYU. He will not play next year no matter what so if he wants to play in 2012, he will redshirt.
J
jonnylingo
Some of his facebook posts:


Well I know what I'm doing now,so its either make it or make it big have haith and go through this with a smile ha!bless


Well what can I do its like everything wants to go the other way but your trying your best to deal with everything around you. I love you with all my heart why are you doing this, I guess I must go through it to be what god wants me too be. Bless!


Well football will come soon!bless


Well its time to step up with my head high and never back down. God is taking over the rest, bless
F
frdbtr
jonnylingo wrote:
Some of his facebook posts:


Well I know what I'm doing now,so its either make it or make it big have haith and go through this with a smile ha!bless


Well what can I do its like everything wants to go the other way but your trying your best to deal with everything around you. I love you with all my heart why are you doing this, I guess I must go through it to be what god wants me too be. Bless!


Well football will come soon!bless


Well its time to step up with my head high and never back down. God is taking over the rest, bless


You can sure hear his mother in those posts :)
G
Guest
Glad to see he has some of the mettle that makes up his mom :D
U
urroner
His mom is the mostest bestest.
Advertisement
P
ProV1
Sorry but I'm not missing him. I'm so over the spin move. Onward and upward.
B
bball
OC has been a disappointment since his arrival; big, loud mouth, underperforms, slow, drops passes, fumbles, mouths off, taunts opposing players. I agree with another poster that I don't think he could break the starting lineup next year, or the year after. Let him go, he's not needed.
J
jonnylingo
bball wrote:
OC has been a disappointment since his arrival; big, loud mouth, underperforms, slow, drops passes, fumbles, mouths off, taunts opposing players. I agree with another poster that I don't think he could break the starting lineup next year, or the year after. Let him go, he's not needed.


While some of what you say is true, he has contributed in significant ways to the team. we would not have beta utah in 2008 without him which deserves credit.
B
bball
jonnylingo wrote:
OC has been a disappointment since his arrival; big, loud mouth, underperforms, slow, drops passes, fumbles, mouths off, taunts opposing players. I agree with another poster that I don't think he could break the starting lineup next year, or the year after. Let him go, he's not needed.


While some of what you say is true, he has contributed in significant ways to the team. we would not have beta utah in 2008 without him which deserves credit.


What you mean is we would not have beat BYU without his receptions. Had OC not been on the field some other receiver would have been, and you can't assume that receiver would not have also caught those passes. We'll never know, of course, but I think he was more disappointment than surprise.
F
frdbtr
I like OC, always have. Even when he was acting out like he was last year. This is less about OC as a player and more about OC as a person. It always surprises me when we see the type of hatred posted above about a 19-20 year old man making poor decisions. Kids are stupid, they do stupid things. Do you throw them out in the cold when that happens? Frankly, if OC redshirts next year and then is able to work his way back onto the team for 2012, even if he doesn't contribute, he will be a success in my mind because he would have learned what it means to honor a commitment.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I hope Chambers does what it takes to make it back and excels on the field. I don't see how anyone can put down a kid who's doing everything he can to put his life right.
C
craigoscarson
To get this close to a college degree and then go elsewhere makes little sense. He's not a pro athlete, he's too slow so his best bet is to stay next year and get his college degree. If he gets back in the good graces of the team, he can finish up his degree if he's short on hours or he can do some graduate work. Both of which would be more valuable than transferring this late in the game.



His future is not as a pro athlete, but he can still get his degree.



I don't know if any of you have ever transferred after 3-4 years at a school prior to getting your degree, but every school requires a minimum workload (usually between 45-60 hours) of their credit to get their degree. If he leaves BYU now, he has BYU transfer credit but won't get a BYU degree.



To go play a year at a Montana would ultimately be costlier for him, because not only would he need more than a years worth of classes to get his degree at another school, but a Montana degree doesn't hold the same weight as a BYU degree... not even close.





At this point, his education better be top priority or he's getting bad advice.
J
jonnylingo
bball wrote:
bball wrote:
OC has been a disappointment since his arrival; big, loud mouth, underperforms, slow, drops passes, fumbles, mouths off, taunts opposing players. I agree with another poster that I don't think he could break the starting lineup next year, or the year after. Let him go, he's not needed.


While some of what you say is true, he has contributed in significant ways to the team. we would not have beta utah in 2008 without him which deserves credit.


What you mean is we would not have beat BYU without his receptions. Had OC not been on the field some other receiver would have been, and you can't assume that receiver would not have also caught those passes. We'll never know, of course, but I think he was more disappointment than surprise.


No that is not what i mean. it was his punt and kick returns that helped with that game. we couldn't move the ball. chambers and rich were huge in the points we scored. its easy to speculate, but instead of speculating lets just look at reality. Out of hte players in real life that were on our team that day and that played in the game, O'neill was a huge made huge contributions in his return game that without which we would not have won. You can discount that by saying someone else would have stepped in, but that is again discrediting his contributions where discrediting is not deserved. That reasoning for discrediting what he did is weak.
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
OC has been a disappointment since his arrival; big, loud mouth, underperforms, slow, drops passes, fumbles, mouths off, taunts opposing players. I agree with another poster that I don't think he could break the starting lineup next year, or the year after. Let him go, he's not needed.


While some of what you say is true, he has contributed in significant ways to the team. we would not have beta utah in 2008 without him which deserves credit.


What you mean is we would not have beat BYU without his receptions. Had OC not been on the field some other receiver would have been, and you can't assume that receiver would not have also caught those passes. We'll never know, of course, but I think he was more disappointment than surprise.


No that is not what i mean. it was his punt and kick returns that helped with that game. we couldn't move the ball. chambers and rich were huge in the points we scored.


I wish we'd had his returns in the last Utah game, we could have used a return game.
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
bball wrote:
bball wrote:
OC has been a disappointment since his arrival; big, loud mouth, underperforms, slow, drops passes, fumbles, mouths off, taunts opposing players. I agree with another poster that I don't think he could break the starting lineup next year, or the year after. Let him go, he's not needed.


While some of what you say is true, he has contributed in significant ways to the team. we would not have beta utah in 2008 without him which deserves credit.


What you mean is we would not have beat BYU without his receptions. Had OC not been on the field some other receiver would have been, and you can't assume that receiver would not have also caught those passes. We'll never know, of course, but I think he was more disappointment than surprise.


No that is not what i mean. it was his punt and kick returns that helped with that game. we couldn't move the ball. chambers and rich were huge in the points we scored.


I wish we'd had his returns in the last Utah game, we could have used a return game.


good point.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.