Archived Topic

Offseason predictions

by Cougarpoke · 12/16/2010

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
I just commented on another thread about what I think could happen with the coaching staff this offseason and it inspired me to start a new thread with any predictions for this coming offseason.



1- Anae is let go or leaves for another OC job. Doman is promoted. Cahoon is hired to take over recievers. Higginson is moved to a new position coach or resigns.



2- Poppinga will be hired full time as LB coach and will become the next great defensive mind.



3- New USC transfers will make a big impact this summer



4- BYU sings a bowl agreement with the Las Vegas bowl.
G
Guest
Cougarpoke wrote:
I just commented on another thread about what I think could happen with the coaching staff this offseason and it inspired me to start a new thread with any predictions for this coming offseason.



1- Anae is let go or leaves for another OC job. Doman is promoted. Cahoon is hired to take over recievers. Higginson is moved to a new position coach or resigns.



2- Poppinga will be hired full time as LB coach and will become the next great defensive mind.



3- New USC transfers will make a big impact this summer



4- BYU sings a bowl agreement with the Las Vegas bowl.


What key exactly is that song in?
L
Lawboy
I agree with everything except #4. I think BYU is wanting long term wit hHoliday Bowl, starting in 2014.



When Brady was promoted from Grad assistant to coach, the backers play improved. I know how Bronco used them made a big difference as well, but those guys improved across the board. I think that gets made permanent unless BYU goes after Micha Alba to coach the corners and moves Howell back to backers. BYU has options.
I
imuakahuku
My "predictions".



1. After the bowl game there will be a moderate flow of threads mostly about bball. They will intensify until the beginning of Feb. where they will dip a little then shoot up for March and then come crashing back down to Earth.

2. Nearly every post on this board (and other BYU boards as well) will end with some variation of impatience "can't wait until the season starts" or "bring on the season".

3. Anae doen't get any taller.

4. I will hear the following phrase from my wife at least three times a week: "I'm glad the football season is finally over".

5. BYU does not make any drastic changes to their uni's.



Those are my predictions. Some call me gifted others a soothsayer, me I just say " :evil: "
B
bball
This is more an analysis than a prediction:



BYU is entering a new realm with its independence, and they want exposure, lots of it, and they want athletic success, lots of it. With independence comes increased scrutiny from everyone, media, fans, ESPN, NCAA, etc. Also, BYU seeks to become a dominant force in football, a powerful football team that can compete with anyone. BYU must have a strong winning season, and winning record against strong BCS teams, it must defeat the Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Texas A&M, Oregon, Notre Dames of the world. Unless the coaches are completely naive (and they're not), they know they must recruit better, coach better, perform better, have more depth, win in the road, defend their home turf, etc.



Consequently, I think:

1) there will be some coaching changes in the off-season. I'm not optimistic about Anae being replaced, but he could be.

2) BYU will work hard at putting together a "great" schedule for coming years. By great, I mean bringing very good teams to Provo, having a balance of very good, and mediocre teams, so BYU has strong winning seasons every year. There is a reason Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame and other schools do not schedule 4 top ten teams at the beginning of the season--it is too difficult to win all those games against good teams, so they schedule a couple of cupcakes to give their young players time to learn the offense, get in shape, hone skills, and be ready for the really good teams. I think BYU will begin scheduling this way, with a couple of cupcakes in games 1 and 2, then a tough game, then another cupcake, then another game against a really good team, etc.

3) BYU will begin promoting itself via ESPN and BYUTV; no more being told by The MOuntain to shutup and go to the back of the bus. BYU will be free to promote itself like never before.

4) one good thing about having a less than stellar season with a lot of young players is, they get highly motivated during the off-season. I think we'll see this again this year, players will workout all summer, train, condition, and come to fall camp in shape and hungry to win games.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.