S
stuckinbig10countryThis might be a better topic for the off-season, but I have a few questions/concerns for my fellow cc'ers.
The last few years, even while living in Ohio, if I put forth even a little bit of effort, I was able to see all of the BYU football games. Going into next year, right now, I am only guaranteed that 7 games will be on TV (all the home games). Now, I think we can safely assume that someone will pick up the @Miss, @Texas and @Oregon St games, and I also feel fairly confident that ESPN will pick up a first week of December game against Hawaii (just not a lot of options on that Saturday for them). That leaves the game at Louisiana Tech. I'm not sure that's a game anyone will want to televise. Is this a game that can be picked up by BYUtv?
Also, I know that the contract with ESPN has a few guarantees. I believe one home game annually is guaranteed on ESPN or ABC, with 2 more on ESPN 2. BYUtv is guaranteed to be the sole broadcaster of one game (guessing Idaho St is the guarantee this year). If the game is broadcast on ESPN3, does that mean that BYUtv can't broadcast it? (This could be a problem, because not all ISP's carry ESPN3, as I know Time Warner didn't last year) What about ESPN+ games? What about ABC regional games? ESPN+ games will probably be available on ESPN3, as well as ABC regional games, but that does lead to some people who had access before, no longer having access.
Also, at least this year, all the football games are in HD. ESPN still does not broadcast all of their games in HD, and if it is a split audience viewing (ie, the BYU-Texas game next year could be an ABC night game, with an audience split where if it's not the game in your market, you get it on ESPN 2 or ESPN alt) one of the feeds will not be HD.
I'm sorry, but this deal sounds way too good to be true, much like the old ESPN deal (which locked us out of certain windows (not as big of a concern now because that issue was mainly caused by being on at the same time as another conference game), caused game times TBD up to a week before the game, late games which are terrible for eastern fans, etc), and the CSTV/VS/MTN/CBS-College deal sounded.
This contract, however, is great for basketball. Every home game will be televised on either ESPN or BYUtv, which is much more exposure than the basketball team has been given. Also, I think the road games in conference against Gonzaga and St. Mary's will probably be shown on ESPN or ESPN 2. While the conference is a downgrade overall, the exposure will be much better basketball wise.
The last few years, even while living in Ohio, if I put forth even a little bit of effort, I was able to see all of the BYU football games. Going into next year, right now, I am only guaranteed that 7 games will be on TV (all the home games). Now, I think we can safely assume that someone will pick up the @Miss, @Texas and @Oregon St games, and I also feel fairly confident that ESPN will pick up a first week of December game against Hawaii (just not a lot of options on that Saturday for them). That leaves the game at Louisiana Tech. I'm not sure that's a game anyone will want to televise. Is this a game that can be picked up by BYUtv?
Also, I know that the contract with ESPN has a few guarantees. I believe one home game annually is guaranteed on ESPN or ABC, with 2 more on ESPN 2. BYUtv is guaranteed to be the sole broadcaster of one game (guessing Idaho St is the guarantee this year). If the game is broadcast on ESPN3, does that mean that BYUtv can't broadcast it? (This could be a problem, because not all ISP's carry ESPN3, as I know Time Warner didn't last year) What about ESPN+ games? What about ABC regional games? ESPN+ games will probably be available on ESPN3, as well as ABC regional games, but that does lead to some people who had access before, no longer having access.
Also, at least this year, all the football games are in HD. ESPN still does not broadcast all of their games in HD, and if it is a split audience viewing (ie, the BYU-Texas game next year could be an ABC night game, with an audience split where if it's not the game in your market, you get it on ESPN 2 or ESPN alt) one of the feeds will not be HD.
I'm sorry, but this deal sounds way too good to be true, much like the old ESPN deal (which locked us out of certain windows (not as big of a concern now because that issue was mainly caused by being on at the same time as another conference game), caused game times TBD up to a week before the game, late games which are terrible for eastern fans, etc), and the CSTV/VS/MTN/CBS-College deal sounded.
This contract, however, is great for basketball. Every home game will be televised on either ESPN or BYUtv, which is much more exposure than the basketball team has been given. Also, I think the road games in conference against Gonzaga and St. Mary's will probably be shown on ESPN or ESPN 2. While the conference is a downgrade overall, the exposure will be much better basketball wise.

