Archived Topic

USC Redshirt Junior DTackle Fangupo to BYU?

by jonnylingo · 12/10/2010

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Per cougarboard there are some good sources that state this guys is transferring to byu.



http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/message.html?id=6309365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/fangupo_hebron00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Would be a good get for us given our situation at dtackle. there was a paragraph that someone on cougarboard posted that was the player's wife had sent someone that made it appear that he was already moving to provo as soon as next week. I posted it but decided to take down what was said in respect for the player's wife.
B
BigCougsFan
A redshirt Junior? Already served a mission, and transferred to USC from a Jr. College.



If he transfers now... Wouldn't that mean he'll only have one year to play for BYU?



How did he get in this pickle??? Either way... He has an amazing story which clearly shows football isn't everything. Much respect to him.
Y
YBrit
I hope he comes. How many players nowadays play at multiple schools? 1 in every 3?
C
CougarClaw
BigCougsFan wrote:
A redshirt Junior? Already served a mission, and transferred to USC from a Jr. College.



If he transfers now... Wouldn't that mean he'll only have one year to play for BYU?




remind me of the USC transfer rule? Won't that mean he'll get two years since there's no sit out rule? I'd certainly do it for two years.
J
jonnylingo
CougarClaw wrote:
A redshirt Junior? Already served a mission, and transferred to USC from a Jr. College.



If he transfers now... Wouldn't that mean he'll only have one year to play for BYU?




remind me of the USC transfer rule? Won't that mean he'll get two years since there's no sit out rule? I'd certainly do it for two years.


i doubt he would have transferred if he had to wait a year. my guess is he will be playing next year. perfect.
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
CougarClaw wrote:
A redshirt Junior? Already served a mission, and transferred to USC from a Jr. College.



If he transfers now... Wouldn't that mean he'll only have one year to play for BYU?




remind me of the USC transfer rule? Won't that mean he'll get two years since there's no sit out rule? I'd certainly do it for two years.


True BUT wasn't that only valid for last year only? Does that rule not apply anymore?
M
Mars


He has played 4 years of college football already (2 at a JC, 2 at USC), but he got one back due to injury. So he is a Senior in 2011 that has already used his redshirt year. If he had to sit out a year to transfer, he couldn't play a single game...
S
scott715
It seems that the rule says that as long as the team is banned from post season that players can transfer and not have to sit out. So it looks like he can play here for his last year.
L
Lawboy
I spoke to someone who works in the compliance department for BYU. BYU can not officially comment right now, however.



Personally, getting the kid for 1 year is not the big deal to me. It is the fact that we will now have had 2 USC kids inquire about coming to BYU. I love the way that looks to recruits, what it says big picture.
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
The fact that we will now have had 2 USC kids inquire about coming to BYU... I love the way that looks to recruits, what it says big picture.

AGREED! :D
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Talent for year is better than talent for no years.
M
mraven
I guess my question is, is the kid any good? Has he played at all at USC? I'm not familiar with him at all so I'm just curious. Will he fit into a 3-4 defense? I assume he is LDS or he wouldn't be looking at transferring, but with only one year to play he better be really good and able to pick up the defense quickly or he's going to waste his senior year.
B
byutx
As I understand it, if the ncaa grants him a medical RS for this season, he could come to BYU as a double RS w/ 2 yrs to play 2 because USC still has a postseason ban in place.
S
scott715
That is the rumor that I hear.
C
CougarClaw
byutx wrote:
As I understand it, if the ncaa grants him a medical RS for this season, he could come to BYU as a double RS w/ 2 yrs to play 2 because USC still has a postseason ban in place.


that's sweet football music to my ears! :crazy:
Advertisement
M
Mars
byutx wrote:
As I understand it, if the ncaa grants him a medical RS for this season, he could come to BYU as a double RS w/ 2 yrs to play 2 because USC still has a postseason ban in place.

Name me one single historical instance in which the NCAA has granted a player 2 medical redshirt seasons in his career, let alone an old RM... Sounds impossible.
S
scott715
didn't So'to get 2?
T
tmoney35
Mars wrote:

Name me one single historical instance in which the NCAA has granted a player 2 medical redshirt seasons in his career, let alone an old RM... Sounds impossible.


isn't that :utard: runningback like an 8th year senior or something?
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
As I understand it, if the ncaa grants him a medical RS for this season, he could come to BYU as a double RS w/ 2 yrs to play 2 because USC still has a postseason ban in place.

Name me one single historical instance in which the NCAA has granted a player 2 medical redshirt seasons in his career, let alone an old RM... Sounds impossible.




Utah alone has had 3 in the last 5 years.
B
byutx
Mars wrote:
As I understand it, if the ncaa grants him a medical RS for this season, he could come to BYU as a double RS w/ 2 yrs to play 2 because USC still has a postseason ban in place.

Name me one single historical instance in which the NCAA has granted a player 2 medical redshirt seasons in his career, let alone an old RM... Sounds impossible.

Why would he need two medical RS's? He would just need one for his jr. season. Unless he's already redshirted once and been granted a medical RS. Is this the case?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.