Archived Topic

BYU vs Arizona

by gmj81 · 12/9/2010

Advertisement
G
gmj81
I think Rogers is really going to be the key in this game. He really stepped up and lit it up with the minutes he got against Hawaii at ESA. We're definitely going to need a three point presence and he and Jackson should be it. They'll be all over Jimmer but if Jimmer can just draw the defense and dish out to Jackson and Rogers I think we'll win. Noah and Davies will have to be careful not to get into foul trouble either. At the same time, our chances of winning would go up infinitely if we can get their star Williams into foul trouble early. He definitely has a tendency to foul and even foul out, especially in away games.



The conference has a great chance to pick up a couple of real quality wins this week over Arizona and Louisville (UNLV). This would add a huge boost to our already good computer numbers. The Rebs also still have a game against Kansas State before conference play begins. It will be at a neutral location but could be a real big win for conference strength. I've said it before but if SDSU, BYU, UNLV are all undefeated in the non-con and split the season series in conference, we could be in for our highest seeds ever, like 2-5.
I
IowaCougar
I noticed RealTimeRPI has the Cougars up to 13 after the Vermont win.
C
CougarClaw
IowaCougar wrote:
I noticed RealTimeRPI has the Cougars up to 13 after the Vermont win.


I like 9-0. It's fun. :D :love:
S
SpiffCoug
Rogers will be key because he's got to stretch the defense and not allow other wing defenders to crash out on Jimmer. This will force the post defenders to step up and create space for Davies and/or Hartsock.
M
Mars
gmj81 wrote:
The conference has a great chance to pick up a couple of real quality wins this week over Arizona and Louisville (UNLV). This would add a huge boost to our already good computer numbers. The Rebs also still have a game against Kansas State before conference play begins.

UNLV may beat Louisville, but there's no way the beat Kansas State.



Oh, and I'm feeling a little bit better than the Arizona game. They've dominated an insanely weak schedule, and lost to the 1 good team they've played. Their best win is over a team with an RPI of #173.
Advertisement
I
Italics
Mars wrote:
The conference has a great chance to pick up a couple of real quality wins this week over Arizona and Louisville (UNLV). This would add a huge boost to our already good computer numbers. The Rebs also still have a game against Kansas State before conference play begins.

UNLV may beat Louisville, but there's no way the beat Kansas State.



Oh, and I'm feeling a little bit better than the Arizona game. They've dominated an insanely weak schedule, and lost to the 1 good team they've played. Their best win is over a team with an RPI of #173.


This is the one thing keeping me confident about Saturday's game... or at least from not being confident at all. Still - it's a big game against a good team - and on a court where the cougs historically struggle shooting.



I will be VERY happy if we walk away with a victory.
C
craigoscarson
gmj81 wrote:
I think Rogers is really going to be the key in this game. He really stepped up and lit it up with the minutes he got against Hawaii at ESA. We're definitely going to need a three point presence and he and Jackson should be it. They'll be all over Jimmer but if Jimmer can just draw the defense and dish out to Jackson and Rogers I think we'll win. Noah and Davies will have to be careful not to get into foul trouble either. At the same time, our chances of winning would go up infinitely if we can get their star Williams into foul trouble early. He definitely has a tendency to foul and even foul out, especially in away games.



The conference has a great chance to pick up a couple of real quality wins this week over Arizona and Louisville (UNLV). This would add a huge boost to our already good computer numbers. The Rebs also still have a game against Kansas State before conference play begins. It will be at a neutral location but could be a real big win for conference strength. I've said it before but if SDSU, BYU, UNLV are all undefeated in the non-con and split the season series in conference, we could be in for our highest seeds ever, like 2-5.


With the way Abouo shot outside against Vermont, I think Arizona has to respect quite a few of our shooters, including Hartsock.



Bottom line, this game will come down to how well we take care of the rebounding and fouls situation. We'll get ours from the outside, they'll get theirs on the drive and from offensive boards.

If we box out and avoid silly fouls, we'll win.



I think we can put to bed the concern that our guys will be tight away from the marriot center. Our team is experienced, takes care of the ball and has depth at all positions but the 5.



If Arizona shoots lights out, then we lose. If Arizona dominates us on the boards, then we lose. If not, we win because everything else favors us.
E
EM_Puma
craigoscarson wrote:
If Arizona shoots lights out, then we lose. If Arizona dominates us on the boards, then we lose. If not, we win because everything else favors us.


That's about how I see it also.



When you hit a team that in one game the ball just seems to find the hoop (McNamara-Syracuse NCAA where he throws up 50 some points) uncharacteristically, there is not much you can do, but such a game is not ever expected, but is always a probability. On that day, you can beat just about anyone.
M
mizzoucoug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6COcL1KaIUA&feature=related





Can't wait for Jimmer to put up 59 on these boys. Actually, I think our team is better in the most important areas this year. The offense still needs to run through the post more often than it does, but beyond that our defense, rebounding, and shot-blocking all look better this year. UofA and UCLA will test how much better we really are though because they'll have the kind of elite athletes that we have not gone up against yet this season.
B
bball
Rogers has not yet learned how to play and compete, play tough and shoot under pressure. My guess is he will, but he has not impressed me yet, he was pretty poor against AZ. BYU needs him, and he needs to start playing tougher right away. For supposedly being a great shooter, he sure doesn't shoot that way in games.



Considering BYU did not have Chris Collinsworth, or Hartsock most of the game, and Abouo kind of stunk it up, and Anderson was terrible, it's kind of amazing we killed these guys. I think Fredette demoralizes teams, they can't defend him, they can't stop him, he draws fouls like a pro. AZ double him much of the game. I loved the time when they doubled Jimmer out front, so he just stepped back and buried a 25 foot three.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
bball wrote:
Rogers has not yet learned how to play and compete, play tough and shoot under pressure. My guess is he will, but he has not impressed me yet, he was pretty poor against AZ. BYU needs him, and he needs to start playing tougher right away. For supposedly being a great shooter, he sure doesn't shoot that way in games.



Considering BYU did not have Chris Collinsworth, or Hartsock most of the game, and Abouo kind of stunk it up, and Anderson was terrible, it's kind of amazing we killed these guys. I think Fredette demoralizes teams, they can't defend him, they can't stop him, he draws fouls like a pro. AZ double him much of the game. I loved the time when they doubled Jimmer out front, so he just stepped back and buried a 25 foot three.


Anderson was not terrible. Dave Rose mentioned how important his prescence was with Noah out and Brandon on the pine.



JA is not a great player and has had bad games, but tonight was not one of them; he made a major contribution to making life difficult for Az.



Abouo also played very good defense and overpowered a very powerful team.



Sometimes you have to look further than a box score to see contribution.
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
Anderson was not terrible. Dave Rose mentioned how important his prescence was with Noah out and Brandon on the pine. JA is not a great player and has had bad games, but tonight was not one of them; he made a major contribution to making life difficult for Az.

That's how I understood it too. Davies and Anderson both played very well, despite what the boxscore reads.
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Okay, guys, this team is GOOD. You KNOW we've got a special player when HISTORY calls 33 points against a team a MODEST night's work!

:evil:



I'll be honest and say I was as concerned as the most vocal of you about our post game this year, more specifically about the defense sans Chris Miles than the offense (we've proved we don't NEED points in the paint to win games). I'm becoming less and less concerned. No, we don't have a Hafa, shoot, we don't even have an Eric Nielsen, but we've got guys who are more than holding their own defensively when one-on-one, and even more useful, can VERY efficiently double-team. Our defense is absolutely SWARMING. And we proved we can do that with not just one, but two of our go-to bigs unavailable due to injury.



And I gotta say, there's a lot of Anderson hate going on here, considering how exceptionally he played on defense. I make no bones about the fact that I GROANED every time he took a shot (or, more accurately, came up PAINFULLY short even of getting his body square to the basket, then even MORE painfully short of the actual basket). But the kid came in and MORE than held his own in absence of Hartsock and Davies due to fouls. I can see to where his size could save our bacon in more than a few situations this year. I don't want him to shoot, but I DO want him to be a defensive presence. And despite a more sizeable helping of lurp, he still could develop into a Chris Miles type player, something we'll need. Additionally, he's refreshingly heads-up on breaking off of the rebound. It still irritates me how often he bats at the ball to clear it (mostly on offensive rebounds, and that because imo it's a confidence issue for him. Still, I respect a self-aware player. If he thinks he doesn't have the position (or dexterity) to pull it down cleanly, it's a good decision to try and direct it to a teammate), but when he had position on a defensive rebound, he pulled it down and had it in the breakers' hands right away. Good for him.



We're being very selfless with the ball in the half-court set. Sure Jimmer holds it a lot more than the other guys, but, hey, he's our point guard, and can create from ANYWHERE on the court. What's impressive is that when Jimmer passes the ball, he does so with complete trust that the teammate he's passing to can make the shot. And even when typical contributors are down, like Jax tonight, we're confident enough to find players who will make the shot.



Lastly, and this is a refreshing departure from the norm, but has anyone else gotten the feel from the last two games, that our team has been the beneficiary of a lot of refereeing special-treatment, rather than the casualty? It just seemed that every 5 minutes I was turning to my wife saying "Boy, I'd've called that a foul," and talking about OUR team. Such a novelty! Is this how the other half lives???



Great game tonight, guys! Even better, if Cal Poly can keep it within single digits v UCLA most of the game AT Pauley, I feel pretty confident in a full week's prep for a neutral court game with them.
M
Mars


Other winners for BYU tonight:



Buffalo, UCLA, Creighton, Utah State, Weber State, Fresno State.
G
Gunk
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:

Lastly, and this is a refreshing departure from the norm, but has anyone else gotten the feel from the last two games, that our team has been the beneficiary of a lot of refereeing special-treatment, rather than the casualty? It just seemed that every 5 minutes I was turning to my wife saying "Boy, I'd've called that a foul," and talking about OUR team. Such a novelty! Is this how the other half lives???



Great game tonight, guys! Even better, if Cal Poly can keep it within single digits v UCLA most of the game AT Pauley, I feel pretty confident in a full week's prep for a neutral court game with them.


Yesterday's game was pretty physical. At times I couldn't believe a foul wasn't getting called and many times against BYU. That said, there were also some perplexing foul calls as well. The most noteworthy of which was Davies 4th foul. Davies was in complete position a half second before he was charged.
Advertisement
I
Italics
As many bad calls as there were both ways... BY FAR the worst call was the one where they called Emery for CLEANLY stuffing the ball with BOTH hands on the Arizona fastbreak... that was some BS.
M
mizzoucoug
Gunk wrote:

Lastly, and this is a refreshing departure from the norm, but has anyone else gotten the feel from the last two games, that our team has been the beneficiary of a lot of refereeing special-treatment, rather than the casualty? It just seemed that every 5 minutes I was turning to my wife saying "Boy, I'd've called that a foul," and talking about OUR team. Such a novelty! Is this how the other half lives???



Great game tonight, guys! Even better, if Cal Poly can keep it within single digits v UCLA most of the game AT Pauley, I feel pretty confident in a full week's prep for a neutral court game with them.


Yesterday's game was pretty physical. At times I couldn't believe a foul wasn't getting called and many times against BYU. That said, there were also some perplexing foul calls as well. The most noteworthy of which was Davies 4th foul. Davies was in complete position a half second before he was charged.


That was a makeup call iirc.



@GDCougs--We don't NEED 20 points from the post but getting 12 out of Davies or Hartsock every game is a must. Points in the paint is how you win against great teams, none of which we have played yet. Our defense and rebounding are clearly better this year, which is awesome. And pretty much every time Davies gets the ball he is making a smart move to get his kind of shot off. I take that all day rather than watching Jimmer run off multiple high screens before launching a 3, which happened a lot a few games ago. This team is running the offense through the post more, which is necessary and KC and Charles are doing a good job of letting the game come to them on offense. I like the way things are trending right now.
S
scott715
Wasn't Davies 5 for 6? Not a lot of points but efficient and it will make the rest of the players better.
G
Gunk
scott715 wrote:
Wasn't Davies 5 for 6? Not a lot of points but efficient and it will make the rest of the players better.


Davies has the best FG% on the team right now at 58%. He could be chipping in 15 points a game if got a few more touches and learned to watch the fouls.
R
radius19
Most impressive part of this win for me? The cougs outboarded and outblocked the type of team that, historically, has given BYU fits on the glass and in the paint. Very impressive win for me... go COUGS!!!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.