Archived Topic

Vermont's Scouting Report on BYU

by snoscythe · 12/9/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
At the beginning of tonight's game, they gave a look-in on Vermont's coach addressing his players in the locker room before the game. What I thought was most interesting was what was on the whiteboard behind the coach:


32-Fredette--Make a driver, force into help

4-Emery--SHOOTER--perimeter/force left

31-K Collinsworth--contain drive, give help

0-Davies--No deep touches - block out

34-Hartsock--Contest hard/no left shoulder

1-Abouo--BLOCK OUT/help off

12-Magnusson--Contest hard/BLOCK OUT

21-Rogers--Contest hard/can't put it down

25-Anderson--Be physical - no left shoulder

24-Martineau--Pressure when has ball

13-Dykestra--SHOOTER


I just thought it was interesting to see what other teams are picking up from film and then emphasizing in their game plans. You can see that Zylstra was a real point of emphasis.
I
Italics
I think the reason "SHOOTER" was all capital letters for Emery and Zylstra was not necessarily due to them being considered great shooters as much as it was to emphasize the point that they don't do much else on offense (neither are especially known for their ability to slash to the hoop).



I wonder what Coach Rose's board says for other teams?



"Henderson - DOUCHEBAG. Protect face when around him."
C
CougarClaw
Italics wrote:
I think the reason "SHOOTER" was all capital letters for Emery and Zylstra was not necessarily due them being considered great shooters as much as it was to emphasize the point that they don't do much else on offense (neither are especially known for their ability to slash to the hoop).



I wonder what Coach Rose's board says for other teams?



"Henderson - DOUCHEBAG. Protect face when around him."


:lol: :lol:



"Boylen - Keep all loose balls away from the :utard: sideline

OR

Boylen - Ask if we can pick up any other players that may be on the way out...
I
Italics
CougarClaw wrote:

Boylen - Ask if we can pick up any other players that may be on the way out...


"but then politely retract your statement when you recall the fact that all of their players suck"
S
SpiffCoug
Italics wrote:

Boylen - Ask if we can pick up any other players that may be on the way out...


"but then politely retract your statement when you recall the fact that all of their players suck"

Yeah, I'm not sure there's been a player who's left the program or who is still in the program that I'd be willing to pick up.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
At the beginning of tonight's game, they gave a look-in on Vermont's coach addressing his players in the locker room before the game. What I thought was most interesting was what was on the whiteboard behind the coach:


32-Fredette--Make a driver, force into help

4-Emery--SHOOTER--perimeter/force left

31-K Collinsworth--contain drive, give help

0-Davies--No deep touches - block out

34-Hartsock--Contest hard/no left shoulder

1-Abouo--BLOCK OUT/help off

12-Magnusson--Contest hard/BLOCK OUT

21-Rogers--Contest hard/can't put it down

25-Anderson--Be physical - no left shoulder

24-Martineau--Pressure when has ball

13-Dykestra--SHOOTER


I just thought it was interesting to see what other teams are picking up from film and then emphasizing in their game plans. You can see that Zylstra was a real point of emphasis.


Interesting. For some reason I never picked up that Noah can't roll to his left and Emery has trouble going left. I'm going to have to pay attention to that next game.
L
Lawboy
Says Rogers can't drive either. Dude can shoot, but would love to see him attack the hoop with his size on pump fakes. Would open lanes and get him more PT. He can be an X factor for us this year.
S
scott715
All he has shown is catch and shoot so far. Too soon to tell what else he has in his game.
B
Brayden Green
I'd rather see him do what he is doing... Spot up, catch and shoot.



The closest I want to see him to the basket, is if he pumpfakes and takes a step in jumper. We have just enough penetrators, with Jimmer, Abuo and our other 3 men and bigs that go high low.
C
craigoscarson
snoscythe wrote:
At the beginning of tonight's game, they gave a look-in on Vermont's coach addressing his players in the locker room before the game. What I thought was most interesting was what was on the whiteboard behind the coach:


32-Fredette--Make a driver, force into help

4-Emery--SHOOTER--perimeter/force left

31-K Collinsworth--contain drive, give help

0-Davies--No deep touches - block out

34-Hartsock--Contest hard/no left shoulder

1-Abouo--BLOCK OUT/help off

12-Magnusson--Contest hard/BLOCK OUT

21-Rogers--Contest hard/can't put it down

25-Anderson--Be physical - no left shoulder

24-Martineau--Pressure when has ball

13-Dykestra--SHOOTER


I just thought it was interesting to see what other teams are picking up from film and then emphasizing in their game plans. You can see that Zylstra was a real point of emphasis.




I hope this kind of stuff gets back to our players. It's like, "hey, I didn't say it but this is what you suck at so fix it"
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:
At the beginning of tonight's game, they gave a look-in on Vermont's coach addressing his players in the locker room before the game. What I thought was most interesting was what was on the whiteboard behind the coach:


32-Fredette--Make a driver, force into help

4-Emery--SHOOTER--perimeter/force left

31-K Collinsworth--contain drive, give help

0-Davies--No deep touches - block out

34-Hartsock--Contest hard/no left shoulder

1-Abouo--BLOCK OUT/help off

12-Magnusson--Contest hard/BLOCK OUT

21-Rogers--Contest hard/can't put it down

25-Anderson--Be physical - no left shoulder

24-Martineau--Pressure when has ball

13-Dykestra--SHOOTER


I just thought it was interesting to see what other teams are picking up from film and then emphasizing in their game plans. You can see that Zylstra was a real point of emphasis.


Interesting. For some reason I never picked up that Noah can't roll to his left and Emery has trouble going left. I'm going to have to pay attention to that next game.


I might be wrong, but I read "no left shoulder" as an instruction to the defender to not let Harsock/Anderson roll left when posting up, or to force them to go to their right shoulder, which makes more sense with two righties.
S
SpiffCoug
I was thinking it meant they don't roll left. So if they do go left, it's probably a fake and keep your position for when they come back around to their right.
C
craigoscarson
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
At the beginning of tonight's game, they gave a look-in on Vermont's coach addressing his players in the locker room before the game. What I thought was most interesting was what was on the whiteboard behind the coach:


32-Fredette--Make a driver, force into help

4-Emery--SHOOTER--perimeter/force left

31-K Collinsworth--contain drive, give help

0-Davies--No deep touches - block out

34-Hartsock--Contest hard/no left shoulder

1-Abouo--BLOCK OUT/help off

12-Magnusson--Contest hard/BLOCK OUT

21-Rogers--Contest hard/can't put it down

25-Anderson--Be physical - no left shoulder

24-Martineau--Pressure when has ball

13-Dykestra--SHOOTER


I just thought it was interesting to see what other teams are picking up from film and then emphasizing in their game plans. You can see that Zylstra was a real point of emphasis.


Interesting. For some reason I never picked up that Noah can't roll to his left and Emery has trouble going left. I'm going to have to pay attention to that next game.


I might be wrong, but I read "no left shoulder" as an instruction to the defender to not let Harsock/Anderson roll left when posting up, or to force them to go to their right shoulder, which makes more sense with two righties.


Nope, it's code for "they don't go left" or "they can't go left" or "let them have it if they go left because they're low percentage"...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.