Archived Topic

Ranking the bowls this year

by scott715 · 12/8/2010

Advertisement
S
scott715
So what have you read or what are your thoughts?



i saw the Rose bowl near the top and the NM at the bottom. The Fiesta with Conn vs Ok was near the bottom. Not good for a BCS bowl. the Holiday was way down too with UW.
S
SpiffCoug
ESPN had the Fiesta Bowl at #9. There is nothing intruiging about that game. UConn is going to be killed ala Georgia and Hawaii.
B
Brayden Green
I'm honestly not very excited for any of the bowls (except ours...)



Most of them have terrible matchups. There is no "Boise St / Oklahoma" or "TCU/Boise St" type of can't miss game. --- DISCLAIMER --- not a boise fan, at all.



Even the "National Championship" is going to feature two of the worst defenses in the country...



Looks like I get to get into the Christmas season even more this year...



Uconn is going to get killed. It amazes me that an 8-4 team can make it into a BCS bowl. Too bad Utah didn't win out, so they could get matched up with another 8-4 team and put the beat down. oh wait, not too bad.
S
SpiffCoug
The TCU-Wisconsin Rose Bowl matchup is a good one. The Ohio State-Arkansas Sugar Bowl should be a good game. The Stanford-Virginia Tech Orange Bowl could be a decent game. I'm always interested in watching the Utes get pounded so the Vegas Bowl is intruiging to me.



The only other semi-decent bowl matchups: Hawaii-Tulsa could be entertaining. The rest, I may have on in the background but none are must-see
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Even the "National Championship" is going to feature two of the worst defenses in the country...

Here is how bad some of those worst defenses in the country are and how they compare to BYU.



Rushing Defense: Auburn 112 ypg, #11 nationally; Oregon 118 ypg, #18; BYU 151, #61

Passing Defense: Auburn 251 ypg, #105; Oregon 214 ypg, #56; BYU 188 ypg, #21

Passing Efficiency Defense: Auburn 131.19, #75, Oregon 101.65, #6; BYU 116.92, #32

Total Defense: Auburn 363 ypg, #54; Oregon 332 ypg, #25; BYU 339 ypg, #33

Scoring Defense: Auburn 24.5, #55; Oregon 18.4 pgg, #14; BYU 21.4 ppg, #32
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
Thanks for those numbers Kitic. Man I would love to see how those defensive numbers for BYU would've looked if Bronco had been running the defense the whole season. IIRC, before Bronco took over, BYU's rush defense was horrific, as in among the worst in the country. To go from that in the first half of the season to #61 is one heck of a turn around. I can't say how much I've been impressed with the Cougars defense under Bronco.



Other than watching BYU put a beat down on Utep, I don't know if I'll watch much of the bowl season. Too busy right now... We're moving the week after Christmas... Good, but bad. :)
R
runbyu1
kitic77 wrote:
Even the "National Championship" is going to feature two of the worst defenses in the country...

Here is how bad some of those worst defenses in the country are and how they compare to BYU.



Rushing Defense: Auburn 112 ypg, #11 nationally; Oregon 118 ypg, #18; BYU 151, #61

Passing Defense: Auburn 251 ypg, #105; Oregon 214 ypg, #56; BYU 188 ypg, #21

Passing Efficiency Defense: Auburn 131.19, #75, Oregon 101.65, #6; BYU 116.92, #32

Total Defense: Auburn 363 ypg, #54; Oregon 332 ypg, #25; BYU 339 ypg, #33

Scoring Defense: Auburn 24.5, #55; Oregon 18.4 pgg, #14; BYU 21.4 ppg, #32




Kitic, do you happen to have these numbers adjusted for when Bronco took over the defense through the end of the year?



P.S. I didn't realize Auburn's D was that bad---Oregon may just smoke them.
S
SpiffCoug
runbyu1 wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Even the "National Championship" is going to feature two of the worst defenses in the country...

Here is how bad some of those worst defenses in the country are and how they compare to BYU.



Rushing Defense: Auburn 112 ypg, #11 nationally; Oregon 118 ypg, #18; BYU 151, #61

Passing Defense: Auburn 251 ypg, #105; Oregon 214 ypg, #56; BYU 188 ypg, #21

Passing Efficiency Defense: Auburn 131.19, #75, Oregon 101.65, #6; BYU 116.92, #32

Total Defense: Auburn 363 ypg, #54; Oregon 332 ypg, #25; BYU 339 ypg, #33

Scoring Defense: Auburn 24.5, #55; Oregon 18.4 pgg, #14; BYU 21.4 ppg, #32




Kitic, do you happen to have these numbers adjusted for when Bronco took over the defense through the end of the year?



P.S. I didn't realize Auburn's D was that bad---Oregon may just smoke them.

i'll try to post some this afternoon.
M
Mingjai
runbyu1 wrote:
P.S. I didn't realize Auburn's D was that bad---Oregon may just smoke them.


Oregon depends so much on the run to set up the pass that I think Auburn will win if they can stop Oregon's run attack.
A
AmmonCougar1
I know this doesn't fit in this thread purposely and I promise I'm not trying to hijack it but it didn't seem to merit it's own thread. Having said that, one of the most oft used arguments from the anti-playoffs peeps is that the season is too long as it is and takes away from class time for the student athletes. Does it strike anyone else as a bit hypocritical that 7 of the 35 bowl games are after New Year's Day and the sham title game is a full 10 days into the new year this year? What a joke! Don't think they could fit in some playoff games during that time and still find a way to finish things off by then?



Oh well.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
Advertisement
M
Mars


Who gets beat worse, UTEP, Utah, or UConn? I think it could be a toss-up.



Are there ANY good U-schools out there this year? :lol:
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.