Archived Topic

UH 5* QB - now what was his name?

by Cougarbib · 12/7/2010

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
When the University of Hawaii signed Brian Moniz he was a 5* QB. Wait - 4*. No it was 3* or was it 2* - make that 1*- No - he didn't have any stars. They didn't sign him. He walked on and paid his own way until he finally got a scholarship this year.



The newspaper announced his team MVP award this season as a 4th year Junior. He will be back next year when we play UH in Hawaii. I think it said he leads the nation in passing. They talked about other players who transferred back home after playing or sitting at other programs for a year or so. They didn't mention Teo - from BYU - who I think is now a walk-on at UH.



Two thoughts here -



I love underdogs and overacheivers. I hope BYU never loses sight of that. Maybe we need to give a Ben Criddle award every year. Our best player on defense this year was a JC transfer.



UH will be one of our toughest games next year due to the travel, jet-lag, and time zone issues involved. If Heaps throws with precisoin and consistency - we will be fine. I hope we also have an unsung player or two step up and make us a great team in 2011.



Go Cougs
J
jonnylingo
Cougarbib2 wrote:
When the University of Hawaii signed Brian Moniz he was a 5* QB. Wait - 4*. No it was 3* or was it 2* - make that 1*- No - he didn't have any stars. They didn't sign him. He walked on and paid his own way until he finally got a scholarship this year.



The newspaper announced his team MVP award this season as a 4th year Junior. He will be back next year when we play UH in Hawaii. I think it said he leads the nation in passing. They talked about other players who transferred back home after playing or sitting at other programs for a year or so. They didn't mention Teo - from BYU - who I think is now a walk-on at UH.



Two thoughts here -



I love underdogs and overacheivers. I hope BYU never loses sight of that. Maybe we need to give a Ben Criddle award every year. Our best player on defense this year was a JC transfer.



UH will be one of our toughest games next year due to the travel, jet-lag, and time zone issues involved. If Heaps throws with precisoin and consistency - we will be fine. I hope we also have an unsung player or two step up and make us a great team in 2011.



Go Cougs


I was with you until you said our best player on d was a jc transfer. Rich was not a jc transfer, he was a walk on. I assume you were referring to Logan was good but not our best player on d.
B
BigCougsFan
jonnylingo wrote:
When the University of Hawaii signed Brian Moniz he was a 5* QB. Wait - 4*. No it was 3* or was it 2* - make that 1*- No - he didn't have any stars. They didn't sign him. He walked on and paid his own way until he finally got a scholarship this year.



The newspaper announced his team MVP award this season as a 4th year Junior. He will be back next year when we play UH in Hawaii. I think it said he leads the nation in passing. They talked about other players who transferred back home after playing or sitting at other programs for a year or so. They didn't mention Teo - from BYU - who I think is now a walk-on at UH.



Two thoughts here -



I love underdogs and overacheivers. I hope BYU never loses sight of that. Maybe we need to give a Ben Criddle award every year. Our best player on defense this year was a JC transfer.



UH will be one of our toughest games next year due to the travel, jet-lag, and time zone issues involved. If Heaps throws with precisoin and consistency - we will be fine. I hope we also have an unsung player or two step up and make us a great team in 2011.



Go Cougs


I was with you until you said our best player on d was a jc transfer. Rich was not a jc transfer, he was a walk on. I assume you were referring to Logan was good but not our best player on d.


You were with me until you spoke. Rich came from Snow



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
BigCougsFan wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
When the University of Hawaii signed Brian Moniz he was a 5* QB. Wait - 4*. No it was 3* or was it 2* - make that 1*- No - he didn't have any stars. They didn't sign him. He walked on and paid his own way until he finally got a scholarship this year.



The newspaper announced his team MVP award this season as a 4th year Junior. He will be back next year when we play UH in Hawaii. I think it said he leads the nation in passing. They talked about other players who transferred back home after playing or sitting at other programs for a year or so. They didn't mention Teo - from BYU - who I think is now a walk-on at UH.



Two thoughts here -



I love underdogs and overacheivers. I hope BYU never loses sight of that. Maybe we need to give a Ben Criddle award every year. Our best player on defense this year was a JC transfer.



UH will be one of our toughest games next year due to the travel, jet-lag, and time zone issues involved. If Heaps throws with precisoin and consistency - we will be fine. I hope we also have an unsung player or two step up and make us a great team in 2011.



Go Cougs


I was with you until you said our best player on d was a jc transfer. Rich was not a jc transfer, he was a walk on. I assume you were referring to Logan was good but not our best player on d.


You were with me until you spoke. Rich came from Snow



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


whooops :blush: I guess it was the walk on part that always stuck with me.
L
Lawboy
Rich came to BYU from Snow as a walk on....he had no schollie when he came. He was a walk on. Which is why he was nominated for a national award as a walk on.



http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=14713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advertisement
M
mraven
jonnylingo wrote:
When the University of Hawaii signed Brian Moniz he was a 5* QB. Wait - 4*. No it was 3* or was it 2* - make that 1*- No - he didn't have any stars. They didn't sign him. He walked on and paid his own way until he finally got a scholarship this year.



The newspaper announced his team MVP award this season as a 4th year Junior. He will be back next year when we play UH in Hawaii. I think it said he leads the nation in passing. They talked about other players who transferred back home after playing or sitting at other programs for a year or so. They didn't mention Teo - from BYU - who I think is now a walk-on at UH.



Two thoughts here -



I love underdogs and overacheivers. I hope BYU never loses sight of that. Maybe we need to give a Ben Criddle award every year. Our best player on defense this year was a JC transfer.



UH will be one of our toughest games next year due to the travel, jet-lag, and time zone issues involved. If Heaps throws with precisoin and consistency - we will be fine. I hope we also have an unsung player or two step up and make us a great team in 2011.



Go Cougs


I was with you until you said our best player on d was a jc transfer. Rich was not a jc transfer, he was a walk on. I assume you were referring to Logan was good but not our best player on d.


Rich was a JC transfer.
B
BigCougsFan
Yeah! A pat on the back! We're all right!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
BigCougsFan wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
When the University of Hawaii signed Brian Moniz he was a 5* QB. Wait - 4*. No it was 3* or was it 2* - make that 1*- No - he didn't have any stars. They didn't sign him. He walked on and paid his own way until he finally got a scholarship this year.



The newspaper announced his team MVP award this season as a 4th year Junior. He will be back next year when we play UH in Hawaii. I think it said he leads the nation in passing. They talked about other players who transferred back home after playing or sitting at other programs for a year or so. They didn't mention Teo - from BYU - who I think is now a walk-on at UH.



Two thoughts here -



I love underdogs and overacheivers. I hope BYU never loses sight of that. Maybe we need to give a Ben Criddle award every year. Our best player on defense this year was a JC transfer.



UH will be one of our toughest games next year due to the travel, jet-lag, and time zone issues involved. If Heaps throws with precisoin and consistency - we will be fine. I hope we also have an unsung player or two step up and make us a great team in 2011.



Go Cougs


I was with you until you said our best player on d was a jc transfer. Rich was not a jc transfer, he was a walk on. I assume you were referring to Logan was good but not our best player on d.


You were with me until you spoke. Rich came from Snow



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


well you had ME at hello.
F
Florwood
CougarClaw wrote:

well you had ME at hello.


Ummm, that sort of thing ought to be limited to personal mail. Not that there's anything wrong with it...
I
Italics
Florwood wrote:

well you had ME at hello.


Ummm, that sort of thing ought to be limited to personal mail. Not that there's anything wrong with it...


You have a private message
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
We not only have consensus about Andrew Rich being a walk-on player that transferred from Snow College without benefit of a scholarship, all if which is verifiable, but more amazingly, we all agree he was the best BYU player on defense.



Anybody wanna say - maybe the best BYU full-season player PERIOD?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BigCougsFan
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Anybody wanna say - maybe the best BYU full-season player PERIOD?


Oh don't say that! I've noticed people don't tend to agree with you. If you say this... They'll have to!
S
SpiffCoug
Wait, you mean recruiting isn't an exact science? So guys that walk-on can wind up becoming starters and stars and can't-miss recruits can miss?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.