Archived Topic

and that's why you don't....

by BroncoBot · 12/6/2010

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
I know it's a different sort of situation, but Palumalu just rocked flacco, caused a fumble, and the steelers got the ball back on the ravens ten yard line (resulted in a steelers td and the lead).



One missed block and the same thing could have happened to BYU at the end of the utah game, who then would not have even had a chance at a FG. I still don't have a problem with the way the end of that game was played.
C
CAFB_04-12
You know, after BYU made it to the 25 (or whatever it was) I just kept thinking, "safe run up the middle three times, kick the field goal, that's all we have to do!"



I was only slightly dismayed that the run on third down lost yardage, but since Payne had already hit from outside 40 yards I figured we were good to go.



I don't think there was anything wrong with running out the clock at the end. Execution of the field goal was the problem.
G
gmj81
... teach lessons.



What are you guys, chicken? Cha-chi cha-chi cha-chi! Ka-ka ka-ka ka-ka! Coodle doodle doo Coodle doodle doo!



But seriously why would you even feel the need to play it safe when we moved the ball at will that drive? It's not like a play action is that risky of a play. If Jake had an open guy, boom, that's a few more yards, maybe another first down. If not, well at least we don't lose any more yards like we did. But that wasn't a singular case of bad play calling and trying to be conservative.



And finally, what was a true freshman doing on the end of the line. That seems like that is the one position where you need an experienced and savvy player, especially when its the end of the game and you know they are going to try and block it. I have to wonder who's call that was.
F
frdbtr
gmj81 wrote:
... teach lessons.



What are you guys, chicken? Cha-chi cha-chi cha-chi! Ka-ka ka-ka ka-ka! Coodle doodle doo Coodle doodle doo!



But seriously why would you even feel the need to play it safe when we moved the ball at will that drive? It's not like a play action is that risky of a play. If Jake had an open guy, boom, that's a few more yards, maybe another first down. If not, well at least we don't lose any more yards like we did. But that wasn't a singular case of bad play calling and trying to be conservative.



And finally, what was a true freshman doing on the end of the line. That seems like that is the one position where you need an experienced and savvy player, especially when its the end of the game and you know they are going to try and block it. I have to wonder who's call that was.


It was Bronco's. Going conservative on the last drive and the guys blocking for the fg unit (he is the special teams Coordinator).
C
CAFB_04-12
I think play action was riskier than running it up the middle. Didn't Utah sack Jake earlier on the drive for a 10 yard loss? Could you imagine what you would be thinking if Anae called play action and Utah sacked Jake taking Payne out of field goal range?



Now, putting a freshman on the right end knowing that Utah would be going "all-out block" on the play was a bad mistake. [edit: of couse, I have no idea...he could have made every block all year for all I know]



In fact, I've been thinking--how do you block 11 guys with only 9 guys (holder and kicker don't block, obviously). It seems like someone is bound to get through if the defense goes all out and doesn't play for the fake.



And another thing--if you line up to kick a field goal on 2nd down and you fake it, do you get to play 3rd down if you don't convert on the fake? That would at least force the defense to play honest on 2nd down and only rush 9 or 10.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
As long as you don't kick it, you get the rest of your downs. That's why a lot of teams will kick on third down to win in OT, just in case something goes wrong like a bad snap.
I
Isola
I think the Palamolu play was different, because if you are going to let a guy like him come unblocked, then the QB had better know and get the ball out of your hand yesterday.



This year Notre Dame was in down by 1 to Tulsa and was within field goal range but their true freshman QB tossed an INT in the end zone.



I think the play call in this sort of situation is all about the mentality of your team. I don't know that our team this year has the killer instinct necessary to be trusted with passing in that situation. I also think once Utah ran out of time outs then I think BYU had to run on third down because you can't pass up a chance to run the clock down and win on the final kick.
P
pjspack
frdbtr wrote:
... teach lessons.



What are you guys, chicken? Cha-chi cha-chi cha-chi! Ka-ka ka-ka ka-ka! Coodle doodle doo Coodle doodle doo!



But seriously why would you even feel the need to play it safe when we moved the ball at will that drive? It's not like a play action is that risky of a play. If Jake had an open guy, boom, that's a few more yards, maybe another first down. If not, well at least we don't lose any more yards like we did. But that wasn't a singular case of bad play calling and trying to be conservative.



And finally, what was a true freshman doing on the end of the line. That seems like that is the one position where you need an experienced and savvy player, especially when its the end of the game and you know they are going to try and block it. I have to wonder who's call that was.


It was Bronco's. Going conservative on the last drive and the guys blocking for the fg unit (he is the special teams Coordinator).


Bronco isn't the special teams coach,Higgins is. That's right when Higgins was hired he was to not only coach the receivers, but the special teams as well. While it's true that at the beginning of the season Bronco took a more active interest in special teams and it showed, he isn't the special teams coach. When Bronco fired hill and took back the defense,he no longer had the time to work with special teams. Its very telling that Bronco felt the need to work with them to begin with,something he should never have had to do in the first place.
C
Cougarbib
declocoug wrote:
I know it's a different sort of situation, but Palumalu just rocked flacco, caused a fumble, and the steelers got the ball back on the ravens ten yard line (resulted in a steelers td and the lead).



One missed block and the same thing could have happened to BYU at the end of the utah game, who then would not have even had a chance at a FG. I still don't have a problem with the way the end of that game was played.




Agree. Some coaches would have just run the clock down and kicked it on 1st or 2nd down.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.