Archived Topic

A new OC to take offense to the next level

by Cougarbib · 12/5/2010

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Since four 10+ win seasons in a row followed by a probable 7 win plus moral victory over Utah season un a total rebuild does not satisfy some - the announcement that Eric Bienemy will return to CU as OC next year caught my eye.



He is a little older than Detmer whose rise to national prominence started in the Freedom Bowl - I was there - in Anaheim when Detmer led BYU to a hard-fought upset of CU as a red-shirt freshman over highly touted senior iirc RB Bienemy.



So, I checked out Bienemy's resume since we all romanticize about star players returning to coach the Alma mater.



9 years NFL. 2 years CU assistant coach. RB coach and Assistant Head Coach for the Vikings who turned down Lane Kiffin last year for USC OC job. Just the fact that he had the sense to give Kiffin the finger and avoid the USC debacle makes him a great choice.



So - when someone names a former BYU player with a coaching resume like that that would be willing to come back to Provo to help take us to the next level - then I think that would actually be an interesting discussion. Not a very realistic one though - because I can't think of one other than Chow or Sark and Chiw is a former Ute with a bad blood departure from BYU and Sark is a Head Coach and not going to be slightly interested.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
I agree about chow. But sark might be looking for a job in a while. Most of the real "playmakers" are leaving soon, and I think that program is a long way from being turned around.
F
Florwood
declocoug wrote:
I agree about chow. But sark might be looking for a job in a while. Most of the real "playmakers" are leaving soon, and I think that program is a long way from being turned around.


Amazing that UW goes to the Holiday Bowl this year...
C
Cougarbib
Florwood wrote:
I agree about chow. But sark might be looking for a job in a while. Most of the real "playmakers" are leaving soon, and I think that program is a long way from being turned around.


Amazing that UW goes to the Holiday Bowl this year...


With USC on probation - not to mention sucking - the PAC had a shortage of Bowl eligible teams this year - expect the same next year.
C
Cougarbib
declocoug wrote:
I agree about chow. But sark might be looking for a job in a while. Most of the real "playmakers" are leaving soon, and I think that program is a long way from being turned around.

Making a bowl game probably bought him some time - but the natives had much bigger expectations for 2010 and they are getting restless. I kind of like the idea of sticking with Anae until Sark comes available. Horrible scheduling at UW very well could make that happen.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Why would anyone want a cheater like Sark at BYU?
M
Mingjai
How about current (for who knows how long) Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell? He's an RM who won a Rose Bowl at Wisconsin and was QB coach at Green Bay. Offensive coordinator at BYU would be a step down for him.
S
SpiffCoug
Mingjai wrote:
How about current (for who knows how long) Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell? He's an RM who won a Rose Bowl at Wisconsin and was QB coach at Green Bay. Offensive coordinator at BYU would be a step down for him.

It might be a step down, but it might be a good step as well. BYU could be a landing spot for him if the Vikes clean house.
S
Schmoe
kitic77 wrote:
How about current (for who knows how long) Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell? He's an RM who won a Rose Bowl at Wisconsin and was QB coach at Green Bay. Offensive coordinator at BYU would be a step down for him.

It might be a step down, but it might be a good step as well. BYU could be a landing spot for him if the Vikes clean house.


Yeah, it may be a great move toward stability. As volatile as the college football coaching carousel can be, the NFL one is ten times worse.
C
Cougarbib
Mingjai wrote:
How about current (for who knows how long) Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell? He's an RM who won a Rose Bowl at Wisconsin and was QB coach at Green Bay. Offensive coordinator at BYU would be a step down for him.

I attended that Rose Bowl and Bucky the Badger fans were very passionate about their team. I remember wondering how Darell Bevell slipped under the BYU radar and saw him as proof that a RM could actually succeed at QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
cougman
Florwood wrote:
I agree about chow. But sark might be looking for a job in a while. Most of the real "playmakers" are leaving soon, and I think that program is a long way from being turned around.


Amazing that UW goes to the Holiday Bowl this year...


What's more amazing is their matchup. Makes for a very intriguing 50 point blowout loss....again.
M
Mingjai
Cougarbib2 wrote:
How about current (for who knows how long) Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell? He's an RM who won a Rose Bowl at Wisconsin and was QB coach at Green Bay. Offensive coordinator at BYU would be a step down for him.

I attended that Rose Bowl and Bucky the Badger fans were very passionate about their team. I remember wondering how Darell Bevell slipped under the BYU radar and saw him as proof that a RM could actually succeed at QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Didn't two RM QB's win the Rose Bowl in a 4 or 5 year period? Darrell Bevell and Joe Germaine (Ohio State) are who I have in mind.



And yes, Badger fans are very passionate, just like Hawkeye fans. Any time Wisconsin or Iowa plays in Minnesota, it's almost 50/50 Gopher to visitor fans in the stadium.
C
Cougarbib
Mingjai wrote:
Mingjai wrote:
How about current (for who knows how long) Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell? He's an RM who won a Rose Bowl at Wisconsin and was QB coach at Green Bay. Offensive coordinator at BYU would be a step down for him.

I attended that Rose Bowl and Bucky the Badger fans were very passionate about their team. I remember wondering how Darell Bevell slipped under the BYU radar and saw him as proof that a RM could actually succeed at QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Didn't two RM QB's win the Rose Bowl in a 4 or 5 year period? Darrell Bevell and Joe Germaine (Ohio State) are who I have in mind.



And yes, Badger fans are very passionate, just like Hawkeye fans. Any time Wisconsin or Iowa plays in Minnesota, it's almost 50/50 Gopher to visitor fans in the stadium.


Since we are on a slow news day and talking about the Hawkeyes - I hired a former Iowa Hawkeye Tight End as a programmer analyst when I worked in Illinois at what was then American Hospital Supply Corporation. I remember a short, pudgy, but sweet female employee that made the mistake of asking in a group conversation why they call him a tight end and she was teased about his tight end for several years after that. He was a hunk.





Living in Illinois and So Cal introduced me to big-time High school football as well. My oldest son attended Buffalo Grove High school one year when they were ranked #1 in the country. His little brother attended Capistrano Valley High School when Brett Johnson at El Toro High and Todd Marinovich at Capo Valley were the consensus #1 and #2 QBs in the nation just 5 miles apart.



I attended Provo High and then graduated from Wasatch. Great schools - but I had my eyes opened re HIgh school football when I moved to those two hotbeds of high school football.



I imagine Iowa and Wisconsin take their football pretty seriously at the high school level as well.



I drove I80 to SLC several times and passed through Lincoln on a Saturday right before game-time. That opened my eyes to big-tie college football. I passed through Laramie on teh way home from that trip in a blizzard while Wyoming was beating Jim McMahon and his knee brace - not quite as big-time a scene on the same I80 freeway there.



Go Cougs
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.