Archived Topic

Anyone catch the end of the Apple Cup?

by Mingjai · 12/5/2010

Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Steve Sarkisian has had clock management/play-calling issues in the past (ASU last year, BYU this year), but I will give him credit for his play call at the end of the UW-WSU game. With one of the better kickers around and tied at 28 with 50 seconds left, Washington had the ball 2nd and 21 from the 25 yard-line. The Huskies had been pounding the ball all game long, so I was expecting 2 run plays to set up a FG attempt from about the 15 yard line or so (about a 32 yarder) with under 30 seconds left. Instead, UW threw for end zone and scored on a fade pass.
Y
YBrit
Oh good, now I get to hear about how great a turnaround JL has made and that he's a heisman candidate once again. In all seriousness Sark can do well, that's fine...I suppose.
F
Florwood
I see what you're getting at. Woulda been nice!
Y
YBrit
Anyone know who the worst BcS team has been? For instance, not ranked, worst record? Is UConn the worst now? Pitt 04 maybe?
C
Cougarbib
Mingjai wrote:
Steve Sarkisian has had clock management/play-calling issues in the past (ASU last year, BYU this year), but I will give him credit for his play call at the end of the UW-WSU game. With one of the better kickers around and tied at 28 with 50 seconds left, Washington had the ball 2nd and 21 from the 25 yard-line. The Huskies had been pounding the ball all game long, so I was expecting 2 run plays to set up a FG attempt from about the 15 yard line or so (about a 32 yarder) with under 30 seconds left. Instead, UW threw for end zone and scored on a fade pass.


Even though my best friend's son plays for UW, I had to leave at 28-28 to go to the homeless shelter with my Ward.



Some differences



Senior QB VS Freshman with an injury

Not sure who it went to but Kearse is a burner

The score was tied allowing a little more risk



Let's not pronounce UW play calling and education genius.



UW failed to put the apple away due to a botched handoff in the red zone and an interception in the endzone that should have been thrown away earlier.



At least UW gets a bowl and probably a far better opponent than ours.



Translation.



BYU 7-6

UW 6-7



After their respective bowl games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I don't think BYU needed to be taking shots at the endzone once they got inside the 25 with about :55 remaining. But I think they could/should have done more than just run up the gut three times. They could/should have still run their offense. Heaps and Co were moving the ball smartly and effectively with passes towards the sideline.



Even after running the ball on 1st down and it became "clear" we were just playing for the GW-FGA, a play action could/would have been very effective and possibly could have gotten us even closer.



Not running the offense, but shutting it down was a poor decision by all coaches involved.



You don't need to go for then endzone, but going for more yards for a closer FG would have been perfectly acceptable.
D
Ddawg
kitic77 wrote:
I don't think BYU needed to be taking shots at the endzone once they got inside the 25 with about :55 remaining. But I think they could/should have done more than just run up the gut three times. They could/should have still run their offense. Heaps and Co were moving the ball smartly and effectively with passes towards the sideline.



Even after running the ball on 1st down and it became "clear" we were just playing for the GW-FGA, a play action could/would have been very effective and possibly could have gotten us even closer.



Not running the offense, but shutting it down was a poor decision by all coaches involved.



You don't need to go for then endzone, but going for more yards for a closer FG would have been perfectly acceptable.


Exactly!
M
Mingjai
kitic77 wrote:
I don't think BYU needed to be taking shots at the endzone once they got inside the 25 with about :55 remaining. But I think they could/should have done more than just run up the gut three times. They could/should have still run their offense. Heaps and Co were moving the ball smartly and effectively with passes towards the sideline.


I was just surprised that UW was willing to throw at all. They could have ran it up the middle twice, force Wazzu to use their last two timeouts, and then kick a field goal from the 15 yard line with 30 seconds less. But they decided to keep the playbook open.
D
Ddawg
Mingjai wrote:
I don't think BYU needed to be taking shots at the endzone once they got inside the 25 with about :55 remaining. But I think they could/should have done more than just run up the gut three times. They could/should have still run their offense. Heaps and Co were moving the ball smartly and effectively with passes towards the sideline.


I was just surprised that UW was willing to throw at all. They could have ran it up the middle twice, force Wazzu to use their last two timeouts, and then kick a field goal from the 15 yard line with 30 seconds less. But they decided to keep the playbook open.


Good example. Point well taken.
C
Cougarbib
It is a lot easier to take the risk of keeping the playbook open if you are tied and moving behind a senior, over-rated QB that some think is first round NFL draft stock.



And if you watched Locker take off running several times in that game including about a 65 yard TD called back - you know he has some options of what to do if the pass is covered or a blitz comes that Jake Heaps cannot or would not be allowed to do.



Throw in RB Polk and WR Kearse who will both likely play on Sundays and there were just more reasons to do it given a TIE game at worst.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
It took a last second play to beat Wash. St. and we're talking like it's a good thing? Whatever you say...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.