Archived Topic

Donate Tickets to NM Bowl

by Wickchad · 12/3/2010

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Post on this thread if you would be willing to purchase a ticket(s) to the New Mexico Bowl to be donated to missionaries/youth groups in the Albuquerque area to increase the BYU support at the bowl game. Read thread below for more details. If we get enough commitments we will do it.









With everyone concerned about BYU not having a good showing of fan support, is there a way for fans who are not going to buy tickets and donate them to people in the Albuquerque area? Preferably donate them to people who are going to go cheer for BYU. I imagine we could find an LDS stake in the area that could give the tickets to their youth groups. Maybe somehow stipulate that the tickets are only given out to people who wouldn't have otherwise gone out and bought tickets so that we would actually be increasing the number of fans attending instead of just giving someone a free ticket that would have been there anyway.



Would this work? Is there someone from the area that could set this up? I imagine we could designate a certain section of the stadium and just go online and buy tickets and have them shipped directly to whoever would be in charge of handing them out. Would the tickets be considered a charitable donation that could be written off if they are going to an LDS stake?
C
craigoscarson
Just contact the local stake presidents or some bishops down there. I personally don't think BYU will have a bad showing but any ticket going to a teenage memeber of the church in albuquerque is a win in my book anyhow.
S
Schmoe
I think this is a great idea. It saves other BYU fans from having to be exposed to Albuquerque and gives the members there something to do besides stare at the wall and wish they lived somewhere else.
E
EM_Puma
the New Mexico Albuquerque mission president is President Wayne K. Miller and his office phone number is 1-505-888-0225. Call him and he might like the idea to use them as incentive for his missionaries to bring people that are investigating the Church. They've done that in other bowls before.



I have his email too if you are really serious about doing this.



I'd be inclined to donate two tickets.
W
Wickchad
EM_Puma wrote:
the New Mexico Albuquerque mission president is President Wayne K. Miller and his office phone number is 1-505-888-0225. Call him and he might like the idea to use them as incentive for his missionaries to bring people that are investigating the Church. They've done that in other bowls before.



I have his email too if you are really serious about doing this.



I'd be inclined to donate for something like that.


This sounds like a good idea. They always show the missionaries on TV. I think if we get enough commitments we should do it. But if we only have a hand full of tickets it probably isn't worth it.



I think we should do end zone seats so that we would be maximizing the number of tickets that could be donated due to their reduced cost ($23/ticket plus fees). We could probably make arrangements with their ticket office to give everyone the same contact person who could take the orders up to a certain deadline and then group all of the tickets together and send them directly to the mission president. Or we can just indicate what date and time to go in and buy your tickets and what section/row to buy them on.



Any one interested in donating a ticket(s) post here how many tickets you would commit to donate. If we get enough commitments we'll go from there.



I'll commit to donating 1 ticket.
Advertisement
G
gmj81
Great Idea. If I weren't already locked in for four tickets I would be all over this. But this a fantastic idea to do for the future as well when our bowl destination is a little far or when fans just don't want to make the trip. You could still support your team and make it a great activity for the youth/missionaries in the area.
G
Guest
gmj81 wrote:
Great Idea. If I weren't already locked in for four tickets I would be all over this. But this a fantastic idea to do for the future as well when our bowl destination is a little far or when fans just don't want to make the trip. You could still support your team and make it a great activity for the youth/missionaries in the area.


I just bought 4 tickets too. Where are your seats?
M
MountainMD
I'll buy a couple of tickets if this goes through - may have 4-5 more if weather is bad and my wife and younger kids opt out.



Had to go outside of BYU, but got 10 of about the best seats at that house (50 yard line; 15th row, BYU side) earlier today - don't know where the BYU/ Cougar club seats are but couldn't pass these up - bad crown there - don't want front few rows, but no really bad seats anywhere there.
S
SpiffCoug
Which side is the BYU side?
G
Guest
kitic77 wrote:
Which side is the BYU side?


East
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Schmoe wrote:
I think this is a great idea. It saves other BYU fans from having to be exposed to Albuquerque and gives the members there something to do besides stare at the wall and wish they lived somewhere else.


Ouch!!!! Funny. LOL!!
L
Lawboy
I served in New Mexico, and spent 4 months in El Paso. OF hte 2 cities, I prefer El Paso.



I'd be happy to donate 4 seats, if there is a way to do this.
S
scott715
I have heard that we have sold about 2000 tickets and UTEP has sold about 2000 tickets. It is cheaper to buy them from the bowl and they are not saying how many they have sold.



Any more updates on distributing the tickets?
E
EM_Puma
scott715 wrote:
I have heard that we have sold about 2000 tickets and UTEP has sold about 2000 tickets. It is cheaper to buy them from the bowl and they are not saying how many they have sold.



Any more updates on distributing the tickets?


Per Jay Drew

"After years of having a larger following at their bowl game in Las Vegas than their opponent, it appears the Cougars and their fans will be outnumbered in the Duke City. A report in the El Paso Times says the Miners had sold 3,700 tickets through their website as of Tuesday afternoon. BYU had sold 2,500 through its website as of Monday afternoon."
S
SpiffCoug
I still think the number of BYU fans will be much larger than 2,500. I think most fans who are attending are buying their tickets directly from the bowl game an avoiding BYU's additional fees.
Advertisement
G
Guest
kitic77 wrote:
I still think the number of BYU fans will be much larger than 2,500. I think most fans who are attending are buying their tickets directly from the bowl game an avoiding BYU's additional fees.

We bought our tickets directly through the bowl, not from BYU. Most everyone I know did as well.
S
scott715
There is also competition from the UCLA basketball game at the same time. My mom just past away so I am going down to LA for the funeral and the basketball game. The bowl game lost out this time. I hear there are plenty of tickets for the basketball game. UCLA is down again this year.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.