Archived Topic

Whitt to the Real U?

by jonnylingo · 12/2/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
He is apparently on the short list.

More like the LOOONG list.
I
IndiCoug
I would laugh so hard if he went because this is exactly what makes BYU so good......coaches seem to be more dedicated and want to be here.

I don't think he goes however, he has something to prove in the Lac 12 and I personally don't think they will see a Rose bowl but once every 20 years. Good Luck ---NOT!!!!!

Now can we get back to some insider BYU news? That's the best kind!!!!
R
Raiderboy
I don't think Whittingham would go. I think that if he were to get an offer from Miami, Utah might match a high offer now that they will be getting BCS money in 2 years.



But I think Whitt is satisfied with the money he is getting, and the challenge of trying to win a PAC-10 or BCS championship at Utah.
L
Lawboy
If I were Whit, and the offer was right, I'd go. Can you imagine how well he can recruit at Miami. HE can caoch defense, and with teh athletes he gets their, he can win in the ACC. Honestly, winning in teh ACC is easier than the PAC-10 many years, especially since both FSU and Miami have been not great. I have aco-worker who is a Miami fan and would love the hire.
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
Not a chance he goes. His family is Utah all the way (geographically speaking) and he has no desire to uproot his family. KWitt is not motivated by money and the money here will be as good as he will get in Miami if that is what he wants.



I give it maybe a 1% chance of happening.
G
Guest
He goes, just so he can be close to his daddy, Urban.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
If I were Whit, and the offer was right, I'd go. Can you imagine how well he can recruit at Miami. HE can caoch defense, and with teh athletes he gets their, he can win in the ACC. Honestly, winning in teh ACC is easier than the PAC-10 many years, especially since both FSU and Miami have been not great. I have aco-worker who is a Miami fan and would love the hire.


I agree with you. All of those here certain that he will stay "because he has something to prove" is ridiculous. Think of who he coudl recruit at miami. and that salary is three time what he is making. if it doesn't work out, who cares, you have 9 million in the bank. not to mention he will be able to take with him his assistants and coaches he wants to bring with him which is probably a bigger reason as to why he didn't take the tennessee job.



I think if the offer is made, he goes. Just me. add to all that this the fact that he has no quarterback and is headed into the pac12. the writing is on the wall. perfect time for him to get out.
Y
Y 4 Ever
I'll be surprised if he accepts the job IF OFFERED. He had the chance to go to Tennessee for a lot more money, and turned it down. I think he has visions of being :utard: 's Lavell Edwards.
C
CougarClaw
And although I don't think Urban Meyer had the utah ties that Kwhitt does, Urban doesn't seem to regret leaving BGSU behind, nor Utah behind. In fact, I'd say it's worked out pretty well for him.
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
CougarClaw wrote:
And although I don't think Urban Meyer had the utah ties that Kwhitt does, Urban doesn't seem to regret leaving BGSU behind, nor Utah behind. In fact, I'd say it's worked out pretty well for him.


Urban had no ties here. This was never a destination for him, he always intended to leave as soon as the big offer came along.



Whittingham is just the opposite of Urban. Money won't motivate him and now all the non-AQ obstacles have been removed from his team. His family is here, his children don't want to go anywhere. Plus, he will have maybe half the pressure here to win that he would in Miami.



Not a chance in SLC that he goes to Miami. None whatsoever.
J
jonnylingo
33311710 wrote:
I'll be surprised if he accepts the job IF OFFERED. He had the chance to go to Tennessee for a lot more money, and turned it down. I think he has visions of being :utard: 's Lavell Edwards.


You may be right about the lavell thing, but he didn't go to tennessee because he would have been stuck in a horrible position. all the assistant coaches were locked in contracts. he would have had to keep them. also there were ncaa violation rumors if i remember correctlty.



this is different and miami is much different than tennessee.



i wouldn't be suprised if he didn't take it, but if he was offered i would think he would take it.
F
Florwood
Mars wrote:
He is apparently on the short list.

More like the LOOONG list.


"As of Wednesday, there were at least five candidates on UM's short list: Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, Connecticut coach Randy Edsall, Arizona coach Mike Stoops and Utah coach Kyle Whittingham."



http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/02/1952273/jon-gruden-wont-commit-to-miami.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M
Mars
33311710 wrote:
I'll be surprised if he accepts the job IF OFFERED. He had the chance to go to Tennessee for a lot more money, and turned it down.

Did he turn down an OFFER, or turn down an INTERVIEW? Because if I remember right, they wanted to talk to him, not hire him...



He made the all-important "Final Eight" cut at Miami; not exactly a "short" list. 6 guys names are known (their #1 choice, Gruden, said "no thanks" twice), and two names haven't been leaked yet.
I
imuakahuku
Seems to me he would be the ideal candidate since he still has to manage LDS players that go on missions. That way he would have experience managing the scholies of the Miami players as they took time off for prison. :D
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Florwood wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
He is apparently on the short list.

More like the LOOONG list.


"As of Wednesday, there were at least five candidates on UM's short list: Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, Connecticut coach Randy Edsall, Arizona coach Mike Stoops and Utah coach Kyle Whittingham."



http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/02/1952273/jon-gruden-wont-commit-to-miami.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I think everyone knows that Harbaugh's next job will be in the NFL or at Michigan. I wouldn't be surprised to see Miami go with Stoops. For the Minnesota job, I've seen Edsall, Calhoun, and Hoke mentioned, but no Whittingham.
L
Lawboy
I wonder why Miami has not gone after Patterson hard. That dude would win big in Miami. Some AD's are just stupid. For reals. Unless Patterson really wants to stay at TCU, but Miami can py more, offer a bigger platform to recruit from, and give publicity TCU can not match. Of ocurse, both schools have crap fan bases, so their is that.
C
CougarPeasant
Lawboy wrote:
I wonder why Miami has not gone after Patterson hard. That dude would win big in Miami. Some AD's are just stupid. For reals. Unless Patterson really wants to stay at TCU, but Miami can py more, offer a bigger platform to recruit from, and give publicity TCU can not match. Of ocurse, both schools have crap fan bases, so their is that.


Patterson has been very content at TCU and they pay him well. HE's been pursued now for about 8 seasons and has yet to show any inklings of thinking about leaving Ft. Worth. I think if the Texas job were available, only then would he bolt.



Peterson of BSU has also been heavily pursued to move up to a BCS program, but rejects them all as he likes BSU and has a great thing going there.



Likewise with Bronco, BYU is his dream football job so no concerns arise that he will be leaving anytime soon.



Harbaugh has a great gig in Palo Alto, which will serve as a stepping stone back to Michigan this year or next, as there are serious rumblings to get rid of Rodriquez already.



KWhitt turned down his Alma Mater to stay at Utah and now that they are a BCS program with a BCS victory on his resume, I just don't see him leaving Utah anytime soon. He's loyal and a very good coach.



Hoke, Calhoun, and any up and coming non-AQ coach will jump ship as soon at the first opportunity. Hoke is already complaining about fan support at SDSU. If he has a better season next over this one, he's gone for sure and perhaps Rocky Long takes over for him for one finaly hurrah.
J
jonnylingo
imuakahuku wrote:
Seems to me he would be the ideal candidate since he still has to manage LDS players that go on missions. That way he would have experience managing the scholies of the Miami players as they took time off for prison. :D


How many utah players are on missions? i suspect it is fewer than we think.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.