Archived Topic

How Many of You Occasionally Root For Utah?

by cougman · 12/2/2010

Advertisement
C
cougman
It's come to my attention that some people root for Utah to do well when they aren't playing BYU. This makes me want to vomit. Sometimes I ask myself if I hate Utah more than I love BYU. Max Hall instantaneously became one of my favorite Cougars of all time after his post game interview after the '09 victory. What do you think?
I
IndiCoug
Voted Never. This years game changed my mind on that after seeing what their "team" (loosest meaning of the word) did before and after the game. I'm starting to think along the profound comments of one Max Hall.
A
AmmonCougar1
None of the options fit my situation. I cheered for them when we were all part of the same conference, if I was at my in-laws house, or i it was against a team I disliked more. Admittedly I also snickered when they lost silly games they should have won (unlv in football, so. dakota state and idaho state in hoops, etc). But there was only one thing I truly hated more than u of u: the Bc$! Now that they are a part of it my hatred has merged and I couldn't care less if they ever won another game.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID



ps. Don't let my hatred lead you to believe I am a bigger u hater than I am a Y lover. Simply not the case.
L
Lawboy
I do not root for Utah to win any game, but I only root against them when they play BYU. My grandpa played football for the U in the late 30's and lettered 3 years at the U and played wit hElder Wirthlin, so I do not hate Utah. But I want to beat their @$$ every time BYU plays them.
V
vancouvercougar
I cheered for :utard: during the Alabama BCS game, but I excuse that as cheering against Alabama.



No need to cheer because of the conference anymore, so they could lose all their games, & I would be pleased.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
vancouvercougar wrote:
I cheered for :utard: during the Alabama BCS game, but I excuse that as cheering against Alabama.



No need to cheer because of the conference anymore, so they could lose all their games, & I would be pleased.

Similar. I was in Kuwait with about 40 guys from the Alabama National Guard so the three of us from Utah cheered for the Utes.
T
tmoney35
cougman wrote:
Sometimes I ask myself if I hate Utah more than I love BYU.


I sure hope everytime you ask that question, the answer is a resounding NO!



Love of BYU sports should come first and foremost before hatred of another team for every true blue fan if you ask me. I coudn't care less what :utard: does every other week of the year it doesn't play us.



I'll admit when they beat Alabama I thought, "good for them, at least they wiped the smirk off all the BCS Nazis' faces." but I certaintly wasn't cheering for them.



In fact, that's what makes me hate the BCS so much. It makes it so that we we have to rely on what other schools do to make us look good. Luckily in basketball, there's this little thing called a PLAYOFF so all we have to do is keep winning and not rely on what other schools do.
F
frdbtr
The last time I "rooted" for the utes was in the Alabama game. I was not happy to see them win and I was even madder at the BCS for forcing me to actually hope that my rival won the game just to stick it to the BCS. I HATE the utes, I root for them to lose every game and badly. I feel sick to my stomach all year when we lose to that classless team. No I am not Max hall.
M
Mingjai
I would tolerate them winning back when BYU and Utah were conference-mates. I never really cheer against them except when they played BYU. That said, it's always nice to see them lose.
B
byuisbetterthanutah
My two favorite teams are BYU and anyone playing Utah. I have always seen any Utah victory as a loss for BYU. I hate how some BYU fans cheered Utah into the Pac 12 but whatever.
Advertisement
G
Guest
In the past for me I've always looked at it as a win-win situation.



If Utah won, they helped our conference and BYU -- win.

If Utah lost, hooray, they lost, I enjoy when a classless organization loses -- win.



Now they will be in the Pac0 and there will be no positive benefit from them ever winning again.
J
jonnylingo
I never cheer for utah. never wood, but i don't really care if they win or lose unless we are playing them. That said, when they lose it does make me feel good inside.
S
sandiegoblue
Growing up in San Diego, the Utes weren't even an entry on a page in my book in football. I noticed them in basketball because they were usually one of the best teams in the conference. I rooted for the Cougars first and Aztecs a casual second in my youth. Since I graduated from the University of Utah, I root for them as a casual second to BYU, and SDSU as a distant 3rd. However, I found myself rooting for the Aztecs to beat Utah a couple weeks ago. So much for that.



However, I have never strayed from being a strong BYU fan. My grades weren't good enough to stay at BYU, so that's how I wound up at the U. But I don't hate Utah. I don't like some of their fanatical fans. But I also don't like seeing bad fanmanship from Y fans either. There's plenty of both out there.



My personal view is that a true Blue fan doesn't feel threatened by anyone that they should have to put up a fuss, especially about the MUSS. We know BYU is the greatest and nothing will ever change that.
C
Cougarbib
Go Utes as long as you are not playing the Cougs. I also root for the Aggies when not playing the Cougs or Utes. I also root for MWC teams when not playing BYU or Utah. I also root for the underdog when not playing BYU or Utah. I also root for western teams over eastern teams. I root for upsets in every game not involving BYU or Utah. I hate the BCS - not really anything or anybody else. I used to hate a woman at work, but she has become barely tolerable now and I no longer hate her. There are a few posters on CC that really annoy me - but I do not hate them.



Go Cougs - Always
1
1967cougar
frdbtr wrote:
The last time I "rooted" for the utes was in the Alabama game. I was not happy to see them win and I was even madder at the BCS for forcing me to actually hope that my rival won the game just to stick it to the BCS. I HATE the utes, I root for them to lose every game and badly. I feel sick to my stomach all year when we lose to that classless team. No I am not Max hall.


I would prefer the BCS to live on forever than to see the Pukes win a game.
Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
The short list of things I would rather endure than cheer for Utah:



A digital rectal exam

A Twilight marathon with a bunch of giddy teenage girls

Waterboarding

A Justin Bieber concert (with or without aforementioned group of girls)

Castration*

Watching the entire MSNBC lineup

A full frontal lobotomy*

A North Korean labor camp



I think the worst thing about cheering for Utah (should anyone decide to do it) is that you'd have to listen to that awful fight song on occasion as you do it. You know the one - I think it ends with "M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!"



*Possible side effects of being/cheering for Utes
S
SpiffCoug
sandiegoblue wrote:
Growing up in San Diego, the Utes weren't even an entry on a page in my book in football. I noticed them in basketball because they were usually one of the best teams in the conference. I rooted for the Cougars first

This was me as well. Growing up outside of Utah, Utah didn't even register for me. They were just another team we soundly beat each year while I watched the games on church satellite. The only difference was a few more people came to the game, but they usually left early. It wasn't until I moved to Utah for school in 1995 that I became aware of how much they hated BYU. Of course that was about the time they started their rise. My dislike of them has only grown since.
J
jonnylingo
redneckjedi wrote:
The short list of things I would rather endure than cheer for Utah:



A digital rectal exam

A Twilight marathon with a bunch of giddy teenage girls

Waterboarding

A Justin Bieber concert (with or without aforementioned group of girls)

Castration*

Watching the entire MSNBC lineup

A full frontal lobotomy*

A North Korean labor camp



I think the worst thing about cheering for Utah (should anyone decide to do it) is that you'd have to listen to that awful fight song on occasion as you do it. You know the one - I think it ends with "M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!"



*Possible side effects of being/cheering for Utes


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C
CougarPeasant
I used to pull for :utard: in any game out of conference, including bowl games, but that got us no where. So now, I am back to rooting for BYU and whoever :utard: is playing in all games.
R
runbyu1
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Go Utes as long as you are not playing the Cougs. I also root for the Aggies when not playing the Cougs or Utes. I also root for MWC teams when not playing BYU or Utah. I also root for the underdog when not playing BYU or Utah. I also root for western teams over eastern teams. I root for upsets in every game not involving BYU or Utah. I hate the BCS - not really anything or anybody else. I used to hate a woman at work, but she has become barely tolerable now and I no longer hate her. There are a few posters on CC that really annoy me - but I do not hate them.



Go Cougs - Always


Awesome post and pretty much exactly how I feel. Great take Cougarbib
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.