Archived Topic

I Missed the Game!

by 1967cougar · 12/1/2010

Advertisement
1
1967cougar
This last weekend found me in San Diego with my wife and daughters. My plan was to let the girls go shopping while I stayed in the motel room listening to the game on my daughter's laptop. However, she stepped on the laptop the night before and I found myself standing in a long customer service line at Best Buy trying to see if it needed to be fixed or replaced. Bad turn of events! Additionally, I am cursed to have AT&T as my cell phone carrier "Less bars, more places." I couldn't even get texts out to my friends on the progress of the game.



Being in such dire circumstances, I learned a great lesson in life. I was not intensely involved in the game. Therefore, the resulting loss was not as devastating as it normally would have been. For the first time in my long long history (I'm 61 years old) of this rivalry game, my blood pressure remained stable, my levels of stress and anxiety were normal, I could hear birds chirping afterwards, I wasn't grumpy and out-of-sorts to my family, and my stomach was not tied up in knots. I was in a state of bliss.



I also learned another even greater lesson in life: Screw the bliss. I don't ever want to repeat last weekend's game experience again!!
C
Cougs_Rule
True Blue, through and through.

Although, a guy your age, health, stress levels, etc.....jk ;-) Thanks for sharing.
I
imuakahuku
You know, I think most of us felt like that after the game. Not immediately, but soon thereafter. BYU dominated the whole game and it was just some lucky bounces literally that caused us the game (a 20yrd shanked punt off a BYU leg in open field, our db tipping the ball up for the ute to catch and score, a mixup in the backfield for a fumble, an int fumble call that was not reversed). Jake played exceptional, the line was great, and the D was absolutely great. This was a harbinger of doom for the teams that will have to face BYU next season. I think we all saw the future during this game and boy is it ever bright-so bright you should wear welding glasses to prevent eye damage! I am not afraid of any of our opponents next year including Texas. We could very well have a top 5 team next year. And that is next year, just think how good they will be the following years. It feels good to be a cougar fan.
E
EM_Puma
I was returning from California when the game started. When I finally got home I turned on the TV and my DirecTV was out. By the time I got it going we were well into the game and my wife asked for me to come with her to pick up some medications at the pharmacy. Normally I would say, "No Way!", but my thought was that if BYU won the game I'd watch the replay of the whole contest. As I returned home, my daughter had the game on and BYU was on the last drive and I saw the last two playes. It was frustrating, but not having seen the shanked punt, Logan's tip, the backfield fumble and the Brandly supposed fumble, I didn't feel so bad afterwards." I realize that missing most of the game is not in the tradition of "True Blue", but I just don't like myself after I endure a loss like that where we could have won and the realization that I now have to endure until next September bumping up against all the Ute fans I come in contact at work. It deflates them rather quickly when I say, "Oh, I didn't see the game."
F
Florwood
Watched it with my granddaughters at the Lehi JCW's. There were two groups of Cougars and one group of Utes in the restaurant. No one dumped drinks on us Cougars. And the loss wasn't as painful as it should have been, perhaps because there were some unexpected pluses to take away from the team's performance.
Advertisement
Y
Y12
imuakahuku wrote:
You know, I think most of us felt like that after the game. Not immediately, but soon thereafter. BYU dominated the whole game and it was just some lucky bounces literally that caused us the game (a 20yrd shanked punt off a BYU leg in open field, our db tipping the ball up for the ute to catch and score, a mixup in the backfield for a fumble, an int fumble call that was not reversed). Jake played exceptional, the line was great, and the D was absolutely great. This was a harbinger of doom for the teams that will have to face BYU next season. I think we all saw the future during this game and boy is it ever bright-so bright you should wear welding glasses to prevent eye damage! I am not afraid of any of our opponents next year including Texas. We could very well have a top 5 team next year. And that is next year, just think how good they will be the following years. It feels good to be a cougar fan.


You must be sitting next to Lou Holtz on the bandwagon that next year is the year that Notre Dame will play for the national championship.
Y
Y12
imuakahuku wrote:
We could very well have a top 5 team next year.


Do we have any hope of a BCS at large berth? Maybe we can agree with USC to play in an end of the year non-bowl game.
I
imuakahuku
Y12 wrote:
You know, I think most of us felt like that after the game. Not immediately, but soon thereafter. BYU dominated the whole game and it was just some lucky bounces literally that caused us the game (a 20yrd shanked punt off a BYU leg in open field, our db tipping the ball up for the ute to catch and score, a mixup in the backfield for a fumble, an int fumble call that was not reversed). Jake played exceptional, the line was great, and the D was absolutely great. This was a harbinger of doom for the teams that will have to face BYU next season. I think we all saw the future during this game and boy is it ever bright-so bright you should wear welding glasses to prevent eye damage! I am not afraid of any of our opponents next year including Texas. We could very well have a top 5 team next year. And that is next year, just think how good they will be the following years. It feels good to be a cougar fan.


You must be sitting next to Lou Holtz on the bandwagon that next year is the year that Notre Dame will play for the national championship.


Nope, just like the way they played and what we have coming back. We lose very little and have a ton of great talent coming back and to fill in. And I also believe Jake will most likely live up to the hype. Feel free to predict 3-5 losses seasons but I am the optimist that believes this team can and most likely will be a top 5 team very soon. I actually wish we had some games over the next few years against TCU so we could exact our revenge on them. Unfortunately we will have to just dole out the punishment to the likes of Utah and BSU-and put them in their place. :crazy:



As for BCS, we will be replacing BSU as the ESPN "darlings" (provided we win a lot of games), so getting into the BCS will not be that difficult. We go undefeated and we will almost certainly be in. ESPN is investing millions in BYU so don't you think they would want to "showcase" them? Don't forget, BSU is going to the MTN. And being Indy will also help us to get into the NC game provided we go undfeated and beat a few teams like Tx and Ore St., have a better than (current) MWC average schedule and a lot of losses by the "cream" teams-Fla, TX, OhSt. etc. Remember, as far as anyone outside the fans and players (except SEC players) are concerned, it is only about $$.



As for the bandwagon, I don't ride that rig. I ride the BYU bus through stormy weather and bright sunshine. And as far as I can tell the weather forcast is for lots of sunshine!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.