Archived Topic

More mwc anti-BYU actions

by BYULV · 12/1/2010

Advertisement
B
BYULV
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/50779423-89/bowl-tcu-state-utah.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



From this article in the SL Tribune. They have no problem taking Utah, who I hear is leaving the mwc, but do not want BYU because they are leaving the mwc?



'"We’re waiting to see how everything plays out," Kunzer-Murphy said. "The one thing we are confident of is we won’t have a Pac-10 team. We’ve been scouring the country to see who is out there and who might be available. Obviously, Utah is in our sights."



If the Las Vegas Bowl lands the Irish, it would pass on the Utes to avoid a rematch and most likely take Air Force over BYU, thanks to a little encouragement from the MWC — which would prefer to see a team in the bowl game that will remain in the MWC next season."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
Clowns.



Why not a BYU Utah rematch?
G
gmj81
If I were any of these bowls, I'd say "screw you" to the MWC's encouragement to not take a team that won't be in the conference next season. The contracts are in place and the attendance numbers are all that matter now. Besides what's the MWC going to do if the bowl goes against their wishes? Go get into a better bowl? Hahaha. Certainly not anymore. They'll be lucky to keep the bowl tie-ins they have once renegotiations take place with the likes of BYU, TCU and UU leaving.



I can see why the Poinsettia would feel pressure to take the home-town team and just might end up doing so. Though even in the best home game of the year (#23 AFA) they only drew 28,000 of the "SDSU faithful". BYU would double that number easily. As for the rest of the "MWC" bowls, this'll be the last time they'll have access to a team like BYU to boost their numbers. If they want to stay a viable operation, they better take the attendance shot in the arm that BYU would bring and forget what ever threats the MWC might throw out.



*edit* I went back and looked at all the attendance numbers for the year and they actually averaged 31,800 to their games this year. Surprisingly, the biggest crowd was against Utah State (45,000) so I have to wonder what appeal that game would had for the locals over a ranked a Air Force team later in the season when they were really starting to roll. How many of those 45,000 were Utah State fans? Attendance was in the 30's for ranked Yewtah, but despite a season they haven't had in eons, the fans showed their true bandwagon colors by dipping back down to 22,000 the last game of the year against UNLV. So I still have to wonder what would cause a bowl to pass over a BYU team that would easily double any of the other traveling fans from other MWC teams.
W
Wickchad
gmj81 wrote:



*edit* I went back and looked at all the attendance numbers for the year and they actually averaged 31,800 to their games this year. Surprisingly, the biggest crowd was against Utah State (45,000) so I have to wonder what appeal that game would had for the locals over a ranked a Air Force team later in the season when they were really starting to roll. How many of those 45,000 were Utah State fans? Attendance was in the 30's for ranked Yewtah, but despite a season they haven't had in eons, the fans showed their true bandwagon colors by dipping back down to 22,000 the last game of the year against UNLV. So I still have to wonder what would cause a bowl to pass over a BYU team that would easily double any of the other traveling fans from other MWC teams.


I believe they did fireworks after the Utah State game.
I
imuakahuku
Didn't they have a justin bieber concert after the game? :D
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
ALthough it would be totally funny if LVB passed on Utah and took BYU and utah had to go to the um, Alb Bowl. Nice little slap in the face of utah fans.
E
EM_Puma
What I don't understand is that this bowl, and a few other MWC tie-in bowls, are owned by ESPN, not the MWC. I thought ESPN was supposed to be on our side. I have not understood this bowl season whatsoever. Usually all of these bowls clamor over having BYU not that they are enamored with the school specifically, but because of the reason the bowls exist--to make money. It's an undisputable fact that BYU brings more butts in the seat and eyes via TVs than any other MWC school and now for some reason that is being overlooked. I thought it was just a BYU slight in putting us in the weakest MWC bowl when we've always commanded the top rung, but now that they are playing with Utah as well, this could be a MWC issue. Wow Hair really hates Utah teams.
A
ABYUFAN
Well, this really is nothing. We've been there a bunch of times in a row, they want someone else, and they can place the blame on the MWC... no real suprise there :roll:
B
BigCougsFan
I listened to her interview on the radio. I took it like this: Utah is leaving the MWC to join the PAC. BYU is going Indy and no conference affiliation.



The Vegas Bowl is between MWC and PAC members. Even though Utah is leaving the MWC... They still have a Vegas bowl affiliation through the PAC. Where BYU will not.



Either way... If Vegas was suppose to take the MWC winner. BYU is third or fourth in line anyways.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
tmoney35
I was about to ask why they were so sure that no Pac-10 teams will be available...then I looked at their standings. Ouch! There's a good chance they're only going to have 3 bowl eligible teams. Even the pathetic Big East has 6
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
BigCougsFan wrote:

The Vegas Bowl is between MWC and PAC members. Even though Utah is leaving the MWC... They still have a Vegas bowl affiliation through the PAC. Where BYU will not.





[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Expect the :utard: to go to the LVB more often in the future. They will not be getting the BCS, Holiday, or other top PAC12 bowls, so if they are bowl eligble at all--count on the LVB.
B
BigCougsFan
tmoney35 wrote:
I was about to ask why they were so sure that no Pac-10 teams will be available...then I looked at their standings. Ouch! There's a good chance they're only going to have 3 bowl eligible teams. Even the pathetic Big East has 6


Who are they -- Oregon, Stanford, and Arizona? I would have expected Oregon St and Cal would get at least six wins.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
tmoney35
BigCougsFan wrote:
I was about to ask why they were so sure that no Pac-10 teams will be available...then I looked at their standings. Ouch! There's a good chance they're only going to have 3 bowl eligible teams. Even the pathetic Big East has 6


Who are they -- Oregon, Stanford, and Arizona? I would have expected Oregon St and Cal would get at least six wins.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Would you think, but Cal finish with 5 wins and Oregon St. has to beat Oregon to get to 6. Washington still has a chance. All they have to do is beat Washington St
M
Mingjai
BYULV wrote:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/50779423-89/bowl-tcu-state-utah.html.csp



From this article in the SL Tribune. They have no problem taking Utah, who I hear is leaving the mwc, but do not want BYU because they are leaving the mwc?



'"We’re waiting to see how everything plays out," Kunzer-Murphy said. "The one thing we are confident of is we won’t have a Pac-10 team. We’ve been scouring the country to see who is out there and who might be available. Obviously, Utah is in our sights."



If the Las Vegas Bowl lands the Irish, it would pass on the Utes to avoid a rematch and most likely take Air Force over BYU, thanks to a little encouragement from the MWC — which would prefer to see a team in the bowl game that will remain in the MWC next season."


I think the chances that Vegas lands Notre Dame are pretty slim. The Champs Sports Bowl gets to choose between Big East #2 and Notre Dame, and I think Notre Dame is a no brainer given who the Big East candidates are (UConn, West Virginia, Pitt, and Syracuse). Since Vegas won't land the Irish, they'll take Utah because the at large team they'll get stuck with will be a MAC team like Temple, Ohio, Toledo, or Miami OH. I'm not sure if the Vegas Bowl can invite Nevada, because Nevada is bound by its WAC bowl obligations.
L
Lawboy
You guys are missing the elephant in the room with the LV Bowl--ESPN. ESPN owns the bowl, and runs it too. Trust me, if the ESPN could broker BYU-ND game in the LV Bowl, they will not care what the MWC wants. ESPN wants ratings, andthis bowl will pull ratings gold for ESPN. The question is whether Notre Dame wants to go to LV Bowl, when it is pre-Christmas. Probably not. SO I expect Utah to get that game, unless Notre Dame takes it. Then it will be BYU.
Advertisement
Y
Y12
EM_Puma wrote:
What I don't understand is that this bowl, and a few other MWC tie-in bowls, are owned by ESPN, not the MWC. I thought ESPN was supposed to be on our side. I have not understood this bowl season whatsoever. Usually all of these bowls clamor over having BYU not that they are enamored with the school specifically, but because of the reason the bowls exist--to make money. It's an undisputable fact that BYU brings more butts in the seat and eyes via TVs than any other MWC school and now for some reason that is being overlooked. I thought it was just a BYU slight in putting us in the weakest MWC bowl when we've always commanded the top rung, but now that they are playing with Utah as well, this could be a MWC issue. Wow Hair really hates Utah teams.


That was going to be my point.



MWC says to LVB (aka ESPN): Take Air Force, they are a loyal MWC school.



LVB: No, we love BYU.



MWC: Fine, we will take our game elsewhere.



LVB: Good, we were hoping you would say that. We want to become the BYU bowl.



Even after all that has happened, the MWC doesn't recognize that they have ZERO sway/pull/influence on ANY business decisions besides their own.
G
gmj81
Wherever we wind up going however, BYU fans have to represent. Even if it is the New Mexico Bowl. It's especially important this year because not only do we want to make those who passed over us regret it, but we also need to further establish ourselves as a GREAT fan base, whether we are 11-2 or 6-6, before going indy. The better we travel to this bowl game, the more likely we are to get a good bowl tie-in next year and beyond. Albuquerque is only about 4 hours farther of a drive than Vegas for most Utahns and is about the same for the saints in Texas and So-Cal.
C
CougarClaw
Y12 wrote:
What I don't understand is that this bowl, and a few other MWC tie-in bowls, are owned by ESPN, not the MWC. I thought ESPN was supposed to be on our side. I have not understood this bowl season whatsoever. Usually all of these bowls clamor over having BYU not that they are enamored with the school specifically, but because of the reason the bowls exist--to make money. It's an undisputable fact that BYU brings more butts in the seat and eyes via TVs than any other MWC school and now for some reason that is being overlooked. I thought it was just a BYU slight in putting us in the weakest MWC bowl when we've always commanded the top rung, but now that they are playing with Utah as well, this could be a MWC issue. Wow Hair really hates Utah teams.


That was going to be my point.



MWC says to LVB (aka ESPN): Take Air Force, they are a loyal MWC school.



LVB: No, we love BYU.



MWC: Fine, we will take our game elsewhere.



LVB: Good, we were hoping you would say that. We want to become the BYU bowl.



Even after all that has happened, the MWC doesn't recognize that they have ZERO sway/pull/influence on ANY business decisions besides their own.


THis was funny. I dont' see it happening but that would be funny.
C
Cougarbib
Normally, I would say give us a winable game - we need the confidence and momentum going into next year - and we do not want to kis sour sister - ie replay past opponents.



But I am going to take a different position.



I would like to replay Utah, Nevada, AFA, Utah State, FSU, or maybe even TCU - make that all of the above in that order.



Mainly Utah or Nevada - and I think we would beat Utah on a neutral field an dwould be competitive with Nevada. USU - just to erase the embarassment. AFA - we would beat them now - but I hate th erisk of injury.



FSU or TCU are a gamble- even now - but we would be more competitive than we were back when we played them.



Go Cougs - whomever or wherever you play. And I would love to see BYU Vs ND if that has a way to happen.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
You guys are missing the elephant in the room with the LV Bowl--ESPN. ESPN owns the bowl, and runs it too. Trust me, if the ESPN could broker BYU-ND game in the LV Bowl, they will not care what the MWC wants. ESPN wants ratings, andthis bowl will pull ratings gold for ESPN. The question is whether Notre Dame wants to go to LV Bowl, when it is pre-Christmas. Probably not. SO I expect Utah to get that game, unless Notre Dame takes it. Then it will be BYU.


Why would it not be notre dame and air force? If las vegas bowl gets nd then why would vegas pick byu over air force? espn still gets ratings with that i think. if its nd i still think its air force. i don't think byu ends up in the vegas bowl, even if it lands nd.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.