Archived Topic

Props to the players

by Florwood · 11/30/2010

Advertisement
F
Florwood
When I mess up at work, only a couple of people ever know, and only if they're paying attention.



The football players, on the other hand, are seen by tens of thousands every time they mess up. So while on one hand it irritates me to see someone get hit by a punt, fumble a ball, let a defensive player breeze by you--all those things that scream "goat"--the more considerate part of me thinks, "Props to you for putting it all out there on the line. Now go back out there in the bowl game and next year and do even better."



Like the Roosevelt quote says,

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly."
V
vancouvercougar
As a fan, I consider this a successful season. I echo the statement "Props to the players!"



These players represented our school and our fans well--both on and off the field. They make me proud to be a cougar.
C
Cougs_Rule
Ditto. AND, thats why its partly called The thrill of victory and THE Agony of defeat.

Hearing the positive adulation of a crowd, 60,000+ is indescribable and equal and opposite to the agony.
G
Guest
Props to the players.



As Brandon Ogletree tweeted the other day, 'I'd rather be 6 and 6 with these guys than undefeated with anyone else.' I echo those statements.
C
Cougarfan87
hawkwing wrote:
Props to the players.



As Brandon Ogletree tweeted the other day, 'I'd rather be 6 and 6 with these guys than undefeated with anyone else.' I echo those statements.




Couldn't agree more. I am proud of the BYU team, win or lose. These are a great bunch of players. The loss didn't sting quite as much as I thought it would because mostly we lost on a bunch of flukey plays. I mean, if the replay is right, if the punter actually punts straight instead of shanking it to the sideline where our player happens to be, or if the freshman TE just chips the blocker on that field goal, it may be a different result. It really does come down to four or five plays every game, just as Bronco said. In this case, one or two could have made the difference.



Now, next year, I know this team will be fired up to avenge this loss. It hurt, but not as much as it would have hurt if we were undefeated looking to play in a BCS game. This gives our team a lot of motivation to win whatever bowl game we go to so that we can end the season with a winning record. I am sure the team does not want to be the first team with a losing record under Bronco. I like the extra practices, Bronco's defense, and our chances against whoever we get matched up with.



The future is bright, indeed, and I am proud of this group of players.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
Props to the players.



As Brandon Ogletree tweeted the other day, 'I'd rather be 6 and 6 with these guys than undefeated with anyone else.' I echo those statements.
tweet of the year.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.