Archived Topic

Heaps played injured

by jonnylingo · 11/29/2010

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/50761180-88/heaps-byu-utah-drive.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Jake Heaps winced as he slowly walked into the cold, dark night outside Rice-Eccles Stadium after the BYU-Utah game on Saturday, surrounded by family members and pained in every which way a quarterback can hurt. In the first quarter, he popped out a rib when a defender bellyflopped on him after a scramble. The rib was popped back in by trainers at halftime, and the freshman played on.


The future is bright my friends.
C
CannonCougar85
What a stud!



I remember the play when he got hurt but I didn't realize that it wasn't popped back into place until halftime. That's tough as nails right there.
J
jonnylingo
there are rumors that it was confirmed today that it was cracked. that is seriously painful. compare that to carlos boozer who sat out last year because of a sore rib.
C
cougman
I was brutal on his play through the Wyoming game because it was pretty bad. I'm glad I'm not the coach because I would have given Munns and Lark their shot and we might have never seen this much improvement. Since then, the guy has become an absolute stud and will go down as one of the best QB's at BYU if he continues playing like he has post Wyoming. In my opinion, he is already better than Max ever was (that's not a slight to Max - it's a compliment to Jake).
C
CAFB_04-12
That reminds me of Hall playing versus Utah a week after separating his shoulder against Wyoming (I think it was Wyo).



What a stud. Wonder if he'll be ready for the bowl game?
Advertisement
M
MJCOUGAR
He played his best game yesterday, not it terms of yards or TD's but in leadership, poise and toughness. He outshined Wynn and looked like a seasoned vet. He is a stud and the future is bright.
B
Ball4
MJCOUGAR wrote:
He played his best game yesterday, not it terms of yards or TD's but in leadership, poise and toughness. He outshined Wynn and looked like a seasoned vet. He is a stud and the future is bright.




My Yewt cousin said he would trade Heaps for Wynn ANY DAY! He loved Heaps in this game and was really impressed.
L
Lawboy
I am happy with where Jake is. I expect a big leap in performance between his frosh and soph years too. The kid is going to be even better next year. The job is his, everyone knows it, and he is the eader of the O. I hope Bronco sits riley down and talks to him about moving to WR or safety. I think he helps us more in those positions. Perosnally, I'd love to se him playing slot. He is tough enough to do it, and I think he can figure out how to get open because he knows what a QB looks for..
J
jonnylingo
This was a huge game for Jake. Him playing the way he did will cement him as a leader going into next year which was something we sorely missed this year. That is unless the coaches just screw things up which I am not confident they wont do. :)
C
Cougarbib
NOw that we have a gatheirng place for all the Heaps apologists - you know - the guys who can't stand the thought of Heaps having to win it straight out on the field - explaining to Bronco that he should not make Heaps compete for it - wasted snap - mis handling of his ego ro development - all that crap.



You are the same guys that think Anae took the game out of Heaps hands in the final drive. As a fan, I would like to have seen Heaps take a couple of shots. As a coach - I am ont so sure. If Heaps' rib had to be popped back in during half time, and Heaps and the offense were less productive in the 2nd half - do you think that might have affected the play calling.



Just wondering.



On that last drive - they tried to run it on 2 straight downs. That got us almost nowhere. Out of necessity, they had Heaps throw on 3rd. that worked brilliantly. They let Heaps throw again to move us down in position to score. Then they went conservative again once we were in position to score.



Do you think the fact that Jake Heaps had a rib injury could have been a factor. Just look at how Jake Locker played out this year with his rib injury if you want an idea of how that can afect a QB.



How would playcalling have looked if Heaps rolled right to throw, managed not to get sacked, managed not to get picked, but managed to get absolutely drilled to the turf as he threw the pass away.



I am not asking any of you to agree with my point - just a glimmer of hope that you may see that play calling is not as black and white as you want it to be and many things, beginnign with what the defense is doing, but not ending there - play into the decisions.
Advertisement
I
Italics
Cougarbib2 wrote:
NOw that we have a gatheirng place for all the Heaps apologists - you know - the guys who can't stand the thought of Heaps having to win it straight out on the field - explaining to Bronco that he should not make Heaps compete for it - wasted snap - mis handling of his ego ro development - all that crap.



You are the same guys that think Anae took the game out of Heaps hands in the final drive. As a fan, I would like to have seen Heaps take a couple of shots. As a coach - I am ont so sure. If Heaps' rib had to be popped back in during half time, and Heaps and the offense were less productive in the 2nd half - do you think that might have affected the play calling.



Just wondering.



On that last drive - they tried to run it on 2 straight downs. That got us almost nowhere. Out of necessity, they had Heaps throw on 3rd. that worked brilliantly. They let Heaps throw again to move us down in position to score. Then they went conservative again once we were in position to score.



Do you think the fact that Jake Heaps had a rib injury could have been a factor. Just look at how Jake Locker played out this year with his rib injury if you want an idea of how that can afect a QB.



How would playcalling have looked if Heaps rolled right to throw, managed not to get sacked, managed not to get picked, but managed to get absolutely drilled to the turf as he threw the pass away.



I am not asking any of you to agree with my point - just a glimmer of hope that you may see that play calling is not as black and white as you want it to be and many things, beginnign with what the defense is doing, but not ending there - play into the decisions.


Jake was performing great. That's all the coaches needed to know. You're grasping at straws now.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.