Archived Topic

Monson, As Usual, Is Right

by pjmuli · 11/28/2010

Advertisement
P
pjmuli
I am not really sure why so many people on this board really hate Gordon Monson...but I will say this much...he is right an awful lot. As a huge BYU fan, I think I can accept reality.



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/50761180-88/byu-heaps-utah-drive.html.csp?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



When this game was over, I was basically upset at two things:



(1) That we decided to settle for a field goal by running the football...choosing a conservative loss over an assertive win.



(2) That we did not kick the field goal when we were up 6-0.



So here is to the classless Utah fans who really deserve what Max Hall said...and to Robert Anae who deserves everything that is being said about him.



J
C
Cougs_Rule
Spot on! I Hate Monson, but spot on!
M
mtnradio
Sadly accurate. Especially about the insult to Heaps ....



I didn't know Jake had been hurt ... What heart that kid showed!!!
C
Cougy_Monster
Monson is right, but usually he is a tool.



Anybody who watched the game knows how amazing our team is (and can be) and how horrendous our playcalling can be.



Anae will be the downfall of Heaps unless he's fired.



Yewtah scored more points, but the Cougs were the better team. I'm not claiming a moral victory, I'm just stating the facts. And, as always I'm glad to be a Cougar!
D
Ddawg
Monson is an arrogant puke lover. Monson is a 1st class tool. He's a punk.
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
I don't read Monson's stuff enough to have any type of opinion about him, but he was definitely right about one thing, Anae chickened out at the end of the final drive.



Heaps drives the team down the field beautifully to get into field goal range and then Anae totally turns his back on him? That's jacked up.



One more thing, why the HELL were we running up the middle in the power I all night long!!! I know we've had success with that throughout the year, but as the game went on, Utah got better and better at stopping it. I think we ran it 5 times during that last drive and got some -2 or -3 yards total from. Fire Anae.



Props to Heaps for playing like a stud being hurt.
S
SpiffCoug
Monson never tells us anything we don't already know. Many on this board wrote the exact same thing yesterday. Monson doesn't provide timely or unique perspective.
L
Lawboy
I have no problem with not kicking the field goal to go up 9-0. the play call was suspect, but the call to go for it was not. Plus, it did not hurt us. ON the next drive for Utah, Hunter picked it off and took it deep for us to go up 13-0. So that was not a factor at all in my mind.



Anae chickened out. He circled the wagons about 15 yards to soon. You always try yo get teh FG 30 yards or less when able. And we had time to try, Heaps was on the money that drive and had confidence, Utah on their back feet defending us that drive. Then we quit playing to win, and played to hope to win. Too soon.



By th way, anyone see the Bronco on field post game interview where he said he did not make the play call for the 4th and 1, but did give the go ahead to go for it? I could see he was irritated by the play calling. It was obvious by his demeanor.
B
BroncoBot
Lawboy wrote:
I have no problem with not kicking the field goal to go up 9-0. the play call was suspect, but the call to go for it was not. Plus, it did not hurt us. ON the next drive for Utah, Hunter picked it off and took it deep for us to go up 13-0. So that was not a factor at all in my mind.



Anae chickened out. He circled the wagons about 15 yards to soon. You always try yo get teh FG 30 yards or less when able. And we had time to try, Heaps was on the money that drive and had confidence, Utah on their back feet defending us that drive. Then we quit playing to win, and played to hope to win. Too soon.



By th way, anyone see the Bronco on field post game interview where he said he did not make the play call for the 4th and 1, but did give the go ahead to go for it? I could see he was irritated by the play calling. It was obvious by his demeanor.

I'd love to listen to a dinner conversation with Bronco, Anae, and Doman after that game.
M
Mingjai
Lawboy wrote:
I have no problem with not kicking the field goal to go up 9-0. the play call was suspect, but the call to go for it was not. Plus, it did not hurt us. ON the next drive for Utah, Hunter picked it off and took it deep for us to go up 13-0. So that was not a factor at all in my mind.



Anae chickened out. He circled the wagons about 15 yards to soon. You always try yo get teh FG 30 yards or less when able. And we had time to try, Heaps was on the money that drive and had confidence, Utah on their back feet defending us that drive. Then we quit playing to win, and played to hope to win. Too soon.



By th way, anyone see the Bronco on field post game interview where he said he did not make the play call for the 4th and 1, but did give the go ahead to go for it? I could see he was irritated by the play calling. It was obvious by his demeanor.


Amen.



I agree with the decision to go for it on 4th and inches, but the play call was more than suspect. Inches demands a sneak.



As to the final series of down, the playcalling was terrible. With a minute left, BYU should have been playing for the TD (nothing overaggressive of course), while settling for a FG if necessary.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.