Archived Topic

My Thoughts

by frdbtr · 11/28/2010

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I am just sick. I am sick to my stomach and it isn't getting better. BYU lost this game, utah didn't win it. BYU made the stupid mistakes that cost the win. That punt was absolutely ridiculous. We force a 4th down and then the ball hits our guy in the thigh and utah gets it back. BYU then gets an interception and bradley allows the ball to be stripped from his hands. Yes, it was a bad call by the ref because he was down but still a stupid thing to happen. And last but not least, BYU lost because we decided to play conservative stupid football at the end and played for the FG instead of trying to score a touchdown. Do you think for a second that if Max Hall was behind center instead of a freshman that BYU would be running 3 times up the middle and then going for the 40 yard fg? I am not bagging on Heaps here because I would have rather put the ball in his hands and tried to get another 1st down instead of playing so conservative. Poor poor play calling. You know what? I think it was Bronco's call to do that at the end so I blame him. I know Anae is the OC but Bronco is the person making the decisions about going for it or not in a close game. I am sure he was the one playing for the fg at the end. You NEVER play prevent defense in a tight game and you NEVER play for the fg unless you don't have time to try to get it in the end zone and BYU had plenty of time. I'm out....I am just sick.
C
CAFB_04-12
I agree with the being sick part.



I disagree about why BYU lost. Utah made a play to block a FG. Should it have come down to that? Probably not.
S
SpiffCoug
For three of the last four years now, BYU has been kicking FGs against Utah and not scoring TDs. BYU should have and would have killed Utah in 2007, 2009 and 2010 if we'd scored TD and not kicked FGs.



Props to the Utes for stiffening in the the red zone and forcing FGs and then making the one more play today when they needed it.
B
BroncoBot
kitic77 wrote:
For three of the last four years now, BYU has been kicking FGs against Utah and not scoring TDs. BYU should have and would have killed Utah in 2007, 2009 and 2010 if we'd scored TD and not kicked FGs.



Props to the Utes for stiffening in the the red zone and forcing FGs and then making the one more play today when they needed it.

Finally someone can take it like a man.
R
runbyu1
frdbtr wrote:
I am just sick. I am sick to my stomach and it isn't getting better. BYU lost this game, utah didn't win it. BYU made the stupid mistakes that cost the win. That punt was absolutely ridiculous. We force a 4th down and then the ball hits our guy in the thigh and utah gets it back. BYU then gets an interception and bradley allows the ball to be stripped from his hands. Yes, it was a bad call by the ref because he was down but still a stupid thing to happen. And last but not least, BYU lost because we decided to play conservative stupid football at the end and played for the FG instead of trying to score a touchdown. Do you think for a second that if Max Hall was behind center instead of a freshman that BYU would be running 3 times up the middle and then going for the 40 yard fg? I am not bagging on Heaps here because I would have rather put the ball in his hands and tried to get another 1st down instead of playing so conservative. Poor poor play calling. You know what? I think it was Bronco's call to do that at the end so I blame him. I know Anae is the OC but Bronco is the person making the decisions about going for it or not in a close game. I am sure he was the one playing for the fg at the end. You NEVER play prevent defense in a tight game and you NEVER play for the fg unless you don't have time to try to get it in the end zone and BYU had plenty of time. I'm out....I am just sick.


frdbtr, I don't always agree with you but this was very well said. I do give the Utes props for stiffening in the end zone---but our coaches need to MAN UP, GROW A PAIR and go for the touchdowns instead of playing the stupid 'play not to lose' conservative and field goal bull crap.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
runbyu1 wrote:
I am just sick. I am sick to my stomach and it isn't getting better. BYU lost this game, utah didn't win it. BYU made the stupid mistakes that cost the win. That punt was absolutely ridiculous. We force a 4th down and then the ball hits our guy in the thigh and utah gets it back. BYU then gets an interception and bradley allows the ball to be stripped from his hands. Yes, it was a bad call by the ref because he was down but still a stupid thing to happen. And last but not least, BYU lost because we decided to play conservative stupid football at the end and played for the FG instead of trying to score a touchdown. Do you think for a second that if Max Hall was behind center instead of a freshman that BYU would be running 3 times up the middle and then going for the 40 yard fg? I am not bagging on Heaps here because I would have rather put the ball in his hands and tried to get another 1st down instead of playing so conservative. Poor poor play calling. You know what? I think it was Bronco's call to do that at the end so I blame him. I know Anae is the OC but Bronco is the person making the decisions about going for it or not in a close game. I am sure he was the one playing for the fg at the end. You NEVER play prevent defense in a tight game and you NEVER play for the fg unless you don't have time to try to get it in the end zone and BYU had plenty of time. I'm out....I am just sick.


frdbtr, I don't always agree with you but this was very well said. I do give the Utes props for stiffening in the end zone---but our coaches need to MAN UP, GROW A PAIR and go for the touchdowns instead of playing the stupid 'play not to lose' conservative and field goal bull crap.


Yep! +1 I am just sick. :sulk:
C
CougarClaw
kitic77 wrote:
For three of the last four years now, BYU has been kicking FGs against Utah and not scoring TDs. BYU should have and would have killed Utah in 2007, 2009 and 2010 if we'd scored TD and not kicked FGs.




FWIW, we did go for a 1st down in the red zone on 4th and short and didn't get it in the 1st quarter. Those were 3 points we really could have used at the end of a 1 point game. Obviously 7 is better, but that didn't seem to be an option much this game.
Q
QuarterbackU
Bottom Line is that Logan should have knocked the ball down instead of trying to catch it in the endzone on the Christopher touchdown. Rich had an interception on the 2 yard line but missed it and laughed about it. Ashworth was worthless tonight. Anae got us into about-eighty five (85) third and long situations instead of running the ball on first or second down to set up a manageable 3rd down. We should have kicked the field goal on 4th down inside the 20 yard line in such a tight game, at the same time Hoffman should have caught that pass. Heaps had his first missed exchange with his running backs today....overall we gave them the game and deserved to lose. Rediculous loss though.



How do you not block the end on a field goal?
M
mtnradio
I was happy they went for it on 4th and short ... a dropped pass made it hurt, but I LOVED the guts and confidence it showed.



I was frustrated that we got so conservative at the end. Once the ball was put in the middle of the filed, why not run a play action and if it's not there, throw it away?



Steve Young once said that everytime they kicked a field goal he felt like they were that much closer to losing. Today, every time we went for a field goal Utah had played tough and stopped us ... except for the last time. So, one time we didn't kick a FG and now we see it could have made the difference. Another time we only set up the FG and we lost because the Utes made a play.



That's why you play the game ... you never know what's going to happen. I sure didn't expect the Utes to put up 17 pts in ONE QUARTER!!!!



Ouch. It hurts ...
R
runbyu1
CougarClaw wrote:
For three of the last four years now, BYU has been kicking FGs against Utah and not scoring TDs. BYU should have and would have killed Utah in 2007, 2009 and 2010 if we'd scored TD and not kicked FGs.




FWIW, we did go for a 1st down in the red zone on 4th and short and didn't get it in the 1st quarter. Those were 3 points we really could have used at the end of a 1 point game. Obviously 7 is better, but that didn't seem to be an option much this game.


Yeah but it was an IDIOT play call. Kariya is MONEY on 4th and 1---A QB sneak is MONEY on 4th and 1 with our O-Line. So what do we do, try passing it downfield---yep, that makes sense!



(TIC)
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
agree. I think you keep the ball on the ground on 4th and short. The run game didn't get stuffed till late in the 4th quarter.
S
SpiffCoug
mtnradio wrote:
sure didn't expect the Utes to put up 17 pts in ONE QUARTER!!!!



Ouch. It hurts ...

And they did it with only 13 plays in the quarter.
C
CAFB_04-12
The strange thing is, if Bradley does not catch the INT then Utah punts and puts BYU deep. Does BYU run out the clock on win 16-10? Who knows.



Instead BYU "fumbles" the INT and gives Utah a fresh set of downs, with which they score a TD that puts them up by one point.



BYU rallies, makes a Beck-like drive to get into scoring territory and Utah makes a single play on defense. Game over.
F
frdbtr
runbyu1 wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
For three of the last four years now, BYU has been kicking FGs against Utah and not scoring TDs. BYU should have and would have killed Utah in 2007, 2009 and 2010 if we'd scored TD and not kicked FGs.




FWIW, we did go for a 1st down in the red zone on 4th and short and didn't get it in the 1st quarter. Those were 3 points we really could have used at the end of a 1 point game. Obviously 7 is better, but that didn't seem to be an option much this game.


Yeah but it was an IDIOT play call. Kariya is MONEY on 4th and 1---A QB sneak is MONEY on 4th and 1 with our O-Line. So what do we do, try passing it downfield---yep, that makes sense!



(TIC)


Play action was a perfect call on that play and Hoffman simply dropped a pass right in his hands. utah's defensive line blew up the RB that Heaps faked to, it would have lost yards if they had actually given the rb the ball. Yes, if BYU kicks a FG there they probably win but at that point in the game utah was doing NOTHING on our d and I thought it was a good call.
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:
For three of the last four years now, BYU has been kicking FGs against Utah and not scoring TDs. BYU should have and would have killed Utah in 2007, 2009 and 2010 if we'd scored TD and not kicked FGs.




FWIW, we did go for a 1st down in the red zone on 4th and short and didn't get it in the 1st quarter. Those were 3 points we really could have used at the end of a 1 point game. Obviously 7 is better, but that didn't seem to be an option much this game.


Yeah but it was an IDIOT play call. Kariya is MONEY on 4th and 1---A QB sneak is MONEY on 4th and 1 with our O-Line. So what do we do, try passing it downfield---yep, that makes sense!



(TIC)


Play action was a perfect call on that play and Hoffman simply dropped a pass right in his hands. utah's defensive line blew up the RB that Heaps faked to, it would have lost yards if they had actually given the rb the ball. Yes, if BYU kicks a FG there they probably win but at that point in the game utah was doing NOTHING on our d and I thought it was a good call.

totally agree, great call. should have been a first down. Hoffman didn't have his best day.
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
it didn't look like he was quite off his block and ready to catch the ball yet. If he catches the ball then Anae is a hero.
W
Wolverine
If only all of you guys that are on here bashing players and coaches that more than gave it there all today were out there playing in their place, I am sure we would have won 77-0, would be undefeated and playing for the NC. Do you really think for a minute that in the split second it happens at full speed on the field Logan, Bradley, Hoffman, Ashworth, Anae, Bronco, etc. stop and ponder..."maybe I should do something different right now at this moment so all the posers on Cougar Corner won't think that I'm trying to screw them out a win" :roll: . As for me and my house, we couldn't have been more proud of all of the players and coaches for the way they represented today. Go Cougars :)
C
craigoscarson
The nice thing is that we did all of this without Romney Fuga, Jordan Pendleton, Jordan Richardson, Ross Apo and we return the vast majority of our team for spring ball and fall ball.



Aside from getting the new secondary up to speed, this team returns virtually intact and undoubtedly better.



Uona Kaveinga, all the redshirt freshmen on the scout team, our returning missionaries, and our new recruits (i.e. Joe Sampson) are going to take this team to a very special year next season.



I hate that we lost this game when we had many opportunities to put it away; and I hate that a refs decision played into it, but considering where we came from early this season and how we dominated 95% of the play today, I'll swallow that bitter pill and look forward to the future.



I think Jake Heaps put to bed today any thoughts of Riley Nelson truly having an equal shot at the job.



Now we just need to hear that Matt Reynolds is coming back.
B
Brayden Green
craigoscarson wrote:
The nice thing is that we did all of this without Romney Fuga, Jordan Pendleton, Jordan Richardson, Ross Apo and we return the vast majority of our team for spring ball and fall ball.



Aside from getting the new secondary up to speed, this team returns virtually intact and undoubtedly better.



Uona Kaveinga, all the redshirt freshmen on the scout team, our returning missionaries, and our new recruits (i.e. Joe Sampson) are going to take this team to a very special year next season.



I hate that we lost this game when we had many opportunities to put it away; and I hate that a refs decision played into it, but considering where we came from early this season and how we dominated 95% of the play today, I'll swallow that bitter pill and look forward to the future.







I think Jake Heaps put to bed today any thoughts of Riley Nelson truly having an equal shot at the job.



Now we just need to hear that Matt Reynolds is coming back.


yep. Now all we need is a few coaches to NOT be returning, and a few big names coming in, and we are set. None of this will matter with one coach in particular coming back.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.