Archived Topic

Doman's point of view on starting QB's

by BigCougsFan · 11/25/2010

Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
This article helps me understand the QB's role even better. Since I'm so inept on the QB's position. Helps me understand why I didn't see the type of progress that I wanted in Heaps early in the season.



Since he's been our QB coach -- he said,
I've had four quarterbacks transfer since I've been here. If I don't lose any this off-season, it will be the first year I haven't had a quarterback transfer. It's the test of all tests for veterans to see if they stay true to coming to BYU and believe they'll eventually get an opportunity.


I'm was kinda bummed seeing how R. Nelson handled his injured shoulder, and hid it for so long. If I remember correctly... His shoulder was injured during fall camp, but didn't tell anyone, and that hindered the offense as a whole. I can understand why he did it, but I disagree with it. Other than that... We have some pretty stellar guys at the QB position. I would be shocked if our four QB's are here next season.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700085527/Jake-Heaps-a-departure-from-BYU-tradition-of-parking-quarterbacks.html?pg=3
C
Cougarbib
All those who think Doman thinks it would have been great to name Heaps the starter after Spring need to read this article very carefully. Pay special attention to Doman saying it rakes two years to learn the offense and that Beck and Hall did nit become automatic in running plays until their senior seasons.



So let's rush right out and replace Anae and install a new offense or fire him for designing such a bad offense and then promote Doman to run the same offense.



I am not a Robert Anae fan, but also try to be realistic about what our alternatives and associated risks are.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib2 wrote:



So let's rush right out and replace Anae and install a new offense or fire him for designing such a bad offense and then promote Doman to run the same offense.


The offense isn't the problem. It is the playcalling, the infighting of Anae with other players, the hinderence he delivers to players' progression and overall recruiting.


Cougarbib2 wrote:

I am not a Robert Anae fan, but also try to be realistic about what our alternatives and associated risks are.




Yes you are.

Realistically - we gain a better playcaller, better team unifier, better recruiter, and a seemingly better evaluator and developer of talent - in Doman.



What are we losing by making the change? And that is just one of many changes available to the cougs. Anae wouldn't even have a job if Bronco didn't need to fire both offense and defense at the same time.



So what are we gaining having him here? And what would be so hard to replace?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib2 wrote:
All those who think Doman thinks it would have been great to name Heaps the starter after Spring need to read this article very carefully. Pay special attention to Doman saying it rakes two years to learn the offense and that Beck and Hall did nit become automatic in running plays until their senior seasons.



So let's rush right out and replace Anae and install a new offense or fire him for designing such a bad offense and then promote Doman to run the same offense.



I am not a Robert Anae fan, but also try to be realistic about what our alternatives and associated risks are.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bib, congrats this is almost a balanced post. ;-)

You are probably at least minimally right about Anae. But you came right up to the edge and didnt jump like you have in past about Heaps--it is implied, based on your history.

You also came right up to the point of conceding to Riley's deceptive and disruptive tactics. I guess the Law-guys would call that acquiecing (sp). Some peoples defense of the injured Nelson as an argument against the freshman Heaps was just plain off. Its so ironic to me that Nelson, who benefited from a huge act of sacrifice by last years Sr QB (cant remember his name, sadly) who graciously "got out of the way" so Nelson could get the reps. No wonder Nelson couldnt make the throws he needed--because he couldnt even when completely healthy! And IMO while he's getting a shoulder makeover and a he needs a character makeover. I give him some credit for playing injured, but when you are holding your team back....!!!!! Still makes me mad that he covered that up--and I dont care if it was Heaps or Lark who would have gotten the extra reps. Nelson gets my Turkey award for that stunt. oh well, water under bridge--I HOPE!
B
Brayden Green
dmcougar wrote:
All those who think Doman thinks it would have been great to name Heaps the starter after Spring need to read this article very carefully. Pay special attention to Doman saying it rakes two years to learn the offense and that Beck and Hall did nit become automatic in running plays until their senior seasons.



So let's rush right out and replace Anae and install a new offense or fire him for designing such a bad offense and then promote Doman to run the same offense.



I am not a Robert Anae fan, but also try to be realistic about what our alternatives and associated risks are.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bib, congrats this is almost a balanced post. ;-)

You are probably at least minimally right about Anae. But you came right up to the edge and didnt jump like you have in past about Heaps--it is implied, based on your history.

You also came right up to the point of conceding to Riley's deceptive and disruptive tactics. I guess the Law-guys would call that acquiecing (sp). Some peoples defense of the injured Nelson as an argument against the freshman Heaps was just plain off. Its so ironic to me that Nelson, who benefited from a huge act of sacrifice by last years Sr QB (cant remember his name, sadly) who graciously "got out of the way" so Nelson could get the reps. No wonder Nelson couldnt make the throws he needed--because he couldnt even when completely healthy! And IMO while he's getting a shoulder makeover and a he needs a character makeover. I give him some credit for playing injured, but when you are holding your team back....!!!!! Still makes me mad that he covered that up--and I dont care if it was Heaps or Lark who would have gotten the extra reps. Nelson gets my Turkey award for that stunt. oh well, water under bridge--I HOPE!


Spot on. And it was Gaskins who was the class act of the decade
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
My point was quite simple and if you read what Doman said carefully or what Bronco has said recently - more snaps for Heaps or Lark would not have had either of them playing well enough in time to win those early games on the schedule.



Re Nelson - who am I to judge. Nelson had non-contact injury in Fall Camp. He was able to play well enough with that injury to edge out Hesps in practice, and IMHO, clearly surpass him on the field at that point in time, and beat Lark and Munns.



He played better than Heaps in week 1 even though Heaps got far more work with the 1s.



Then he aggravated the injury in Week 3 and could not play. You guys that like to judge whether he should have disclosed the earlier, less severe, injury go ahead and judge. I leave those judgments to the coaches.



BTW, I have complained about Anae being unproven as an OC when he was chosen and everyone posting at that time wanted to assume that the genius behind TT's offense would rake us right to the NC. I always say the same thing about newbies, that are assumed saviors, like Crowton, Anae, Bronco, Bosco, Heaps, etc. Let them prove it on the field.



I complained from day 1 about Anae being stubborn and trying to prove that he could do what he wanted to do instead of taking what the defense gave him.



I am just not ready to ASSume, because assuming can make an ASS of U and ME, that Doman will take us to the next level. I will happily leave that decision to Bronco, who has proven himself on the field.



Anae has limitations. Everyone does. Coaches at Florida, Texas, and many other places are having the same challenges due to talented, but inexperienced players. Doman probably will have limitations - maybe more, maybe less, maybe just different. When loaded with the best RB, TE tandem, and QB in history they will all look better than when everyone is new. Imagine if Collie stayed in 2009 how smart Anae would have looked that year - but suddenly stupid in 2010.



Doman and Bronco are saying the same thing if you read objectively and clearly.



Heaps is coming along. Be patient. But if he throws erratically Saturday, let him be accountable. If he throws precisely, BYU will win and Heaps will get my MVP vote as it will lift the entire team.



Go Cougs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I was once taught by a boss the following:

A unified effort with an inferior strategy will get us farther along than a disjointed effort with a superior strategy. I have experienced that over and over.

Anae might be Ph.D. bright but he aint got "IT"--the ability to unify and lead. Arguably he hasnt had IT in the strategy department either.

Bronco has "IT". Doman, IMO, has IT. And if Doman's playcalling is at least as good as Anae's (I dare any to argue it wouldnt be; and I know we dont have any hard data to know what Doman's playcalling would be--which weakens my point potentially) I certainly believe Doman would far outscore Anae in his ability to unite players and stay unified with Bronco.
C
Cougs_Rule
[quote="Cougarbib2"]My point was quite simple and if you read what Doman said carefully or what Bronco has said recently - more snaps for Heaps or Lark would not have had either of them playing well enough in time to win those early games on the schedule."



OH CONTRARE. Site the sentance. maybe not "good enough" to be as ready as Max or John (as ready as they werent). And certainly not as ready as Heaps will be next year. But, you are really stretching here.



"Re Nelson - who am I to judge. Nelson had non-contact injury in Fall Camp. He was able to play well enough with that injury to edge out Hesps in practice, and IMHO, clearly surpass him on the field at that point in time, and beat Lark and Munns."



PRESUMPTION AND DEBATABLE. Heaps was a true frosh and the coaches didnt want to throw him in the mix.



"He played better than Heaps in week 1 even though Heaps got far more work with the 1s."





QUESTIONABLE.



"Then he aggravated the injury in Week 3 and could not play. You guys that like to judge whether he should have disclosed the earlier, less severe, injury go ahead and judge. I leave those judgments to the coaches."

OH, GOOD FOR YOU, Captain, H-T-T.



"BTW, I have complained about Anae being unproven as an OC when he was chosen and everyone posting at that time wanted to assume that the genius behind TT's offense would rake us right to the NC. I always say the same thing about newbies, that are assumed saviors, like Crowton, Anae, Bronco, Bosco, Heaps, etc. Let them prove it on the field."

BRONCO HASNT DISAPPOINTED. SOMETIMES IT HAPPENS.



Doman and Bronco are saying the same thing if you read objectively and clearly.

Heaps is coming along. Be patient. But if he throws erratically Saturday, let him be accountable.



AGAIN, this whole accountability kick! What do you want from him? A public confessional? To refund your money for your football ticket? refund your donation to the university? Pay your cable bill because BYU lost? How about, "I'm a freshman, I'm sorry I suck and that no other QB is ready to take the job. Please put in Lark, I'm not worthy."

Good gravy man. Please, one side of your mouth.
C
Cougarbib
Actually, Heaps has been far more accountable than his apologists like you. I haven't seen Jake doing a lot of finger pointing and excuse making. Could show a little more leadership if he wants to win teammates over. Something like - I am getting there and when my throws in games develop the precision and accuracy I know I can execute with and do execute with in practice, we will enjoy more success as a team.



But I am fine with Jake Heaps. It is all the fans that want to blame everyone and everything but Heaps that I have an issue with. And, yes, sometimes the guys do prove it on the field. Bronco has IMHO. Anae, Bosco, Hill, and others apparently did not.



Heaps might. Doman has as a QB coach - but for all you fans that want to crucify the coaches if Heaps doesn't win Heisman two or three years - Doman has had two QBs of near Detmer performance- Zero Heisman Trophies, zero BCS Bowls,zero NC.



So I don't assume Doman, whom I like, will just step in as OC and rake us to the next level and I did not assume Crowton would do it either.



All of the fans that ASSuMEd that Crowton would do so - and there were a very vocal group who always assume the next guy will ve perfect, who did looked like ASSES.



Pardon me for reserving judgment until I see it on the field with a little consistency and continuity.



BTW - I am not ASSuMING it won't happen either - same reasoning.



I wiu just wait and see what happens. I guess I am just too old to have the energy to keep jumping on and off bandwagon after bandwagon after bandwagon.



So let the band play on.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.