Archived Topic

Ute fans not getting it

by taekwondave · 11/22/2010

Advertisement
T
taekwondave
From messages on cougarboard it would seem that many Ute fans aren't recognizing a current reality: BYU is playing much better today than they were when they racked up five losses. Does ANYBODY think that the team that scored almost 150 pts and only gave up like 17 in the last three games is the same team that played in those five losses? No intelligent, honest person would. Some Ute fans (surely not all) are clearly not being honest when they judge who will win this week's game by the records of the two teams. What they did in week 1 won't help them this Saturday.
T
ttexastim
Meh. What Ute fans see is that BYU beat up on 3 of the worst teams in the conference. Utah did the same and then got called "over-rated". You really want to strut and posture for your team after beating up on CSU, UNLV, and UNM???
C
Cougsown1
yes actually, I think that Utah was over-rated all season long
T
ttexastim
Cougsown1 wrote:
yes actually, I think that Utah was over-rated all season long


I think only bandwagoners thought our #5 was justified. I haven't seen an offense firing on all cylinders all year.
P
pikoi
ttexastim wrote:
Meh. What Ute fans see is that BYU beat up on 3 of the worst teams in the conference. Utah did the same and then got called "over-rated". You really want to strut and posture for your team after beating up on CSU, UNLV, and UNM???


I have to agree with ttexastim on this one. Utah is our first test in a while and I am not sure what to expect. The team looks improved but one could argue that its just because we have been playing terrible teams. I just hope that the offense has found a rhythm that it can maintain against stiffer competition.
Advertisement
U
urroner
pikoi wrote:
I have to agree with ttexastim on this one.


Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Throw pikoi off the board. He's agreeing with a true blue :utard: . People we have to draw a line somewhere between what is decent and what is plain, downright pornographic, and agreeing with a :utard: is way over that line.



BTW TTT, I still agree with you that the little video is hilarious. I still show the youtube one to people and they can's stop laughing for a while.
C
craigoscarson
ttexastim wrote:
Meh. What Ute fans see is that BYU beat up on 3 of the worst teams in the conference. Utah did the same and then got called "over-rated". You really want to strut and posture for your team after beating up on CSU, UNLV, and UNM???


BYU played better against similar opponents and the same against a couple others (tcu/sdsu)... I really dont' care what Ewet fans think between cashing their welfare checks and making their weekly probation checkup, but I'd say this game is truly a coinflip and that has to scare the few intelligent U fans out there.



Apparently when and if the U plays a good team at Rice Chex, their measly 40,000 fans don't improve their odds.



Utah wins this game and it was at home against the youngest BYU team in 20+ years. BYU wins this game and Utah has now lost 4 of the last 5 with the prospect of coming to Provo to play a Cougar team that returns nearly everyone.



I don't see much to lose for BYU, (except the game) I see a great deal to lose for the Ewets (particularly credibility).



The Cougars have made it a habit though, to destroy middle of the road Pac 10 teams at the end of the season; and this certainly has the makings.
T
ttexastim
urroner wrote:
ttexastim wrote:
I have to agree with ttexastim on this one.


Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Throw pikoi off the board. He's agreeing with a true blue :utard: . People we have to draw a line somewhere between what is decent and what is plain, downright pornographic, and agreeing with a :utard: is way over that line.



BTW TTT, I still agree with you that the little video is hilarious. I still show the youtube one to people and they can's stop laughing for a while.


URONER!!! My brother from another mother! What's up man?!?! Good to see you still showing off that ugly mugg of yours with pride.



And just for the record, I am not a true BLUE emoticon. I'm a loyal Ute fan! ;)
J
jonnylingo
craigoscarson wrote:
Meh. What Ute fans see is that BYU beat up on 3 of the worst teams in the conference. Utah did the same and then got called "over-rated". You really want to strut and posture for your team after beating up on CSU, UNLV, and UNM???


BYU played better against similar opponents and the same against a couple others (tcu/sdsu)... I really dont' care what Ewet fans think between cashing their welfare checks and making their weekly probation checkup, but I'd say this game is truly a coinflip and that has to scare the few intelligent U fans out there.



Apparently when and if the U plays a good team at Rice Chex, their measly 40,000 fans don't improve their odds.



Utah wins this game and it was at home against the youngest BYU team in 20+ years. BYU wins this game and Utah has now lost 4 of the last 5 with the prospect of coming to Provo to play a Cougar team that returns nearly everyone.



I don't see much to lose for BYU, (except the game) I see a great deal to lose for the Ewets (particularly credibility).



The Cougars have made it a habit though, to destroy middle of the road Pac 10 teams at the end of the season; and this certainly has the makings.


I agree with this. BYU has NOTHING TO lose. We are 6 and 5!!! Utah was ranked top five and if they don't beat a beat up byu team filled with freshman when they are 9 and 2, then that is just embarassing. utah has a lot to lose. byu has nothing to lose. not much riding on this game for byu. if utah loses it is seriously going to look back.



by the way. utah is not that good. every team that is decent they have played they have lost or squeaked it out. i don't see how utah fans can feel that confident going into this game. utah's defense is worse than it has been in years. their offense is inconsistent and turnover prone. byu's running game is very good and our qb is coming into form with the receivers. our defense is just as good as utah's this year.



i am cautiously optimistic about this game. utah is not that good. their wins are against a bunch of mediore to bad teams. byu had a horrible year. worst in a long time. if utah can't beat us, then they really are in for an eye opener once they go to the pac10.
J
jonnylingo
ttexastim wrote:
pikoi wrote:
I have to agree with ttexastim on this one.


Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Throw pikoi off the board. He's agreeing with a true blue :utard: . People we have to draw a line somewhere between what is decent and what is plain, downright pornographic, and agreeing with a :utard: is way over that line.



BTW TTT, I still agree with you that the little video is hilarious. I still show the youtube one to people and they can's stop laughing for a while.


URONER!!! My brother from another mother! What's up man?!?! Good to see you still showing off that ugly mugg of yours with pride.



And just for the record, I am not a true BLUE emoticon. I'm a loyal Ute fan! ;)


I had heard that there are a few of you. nice to actually meet one.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I think this game is a toss up. These 2 teams are as close now as they were at LES last year. It is going to come down to turnovers and big plays. I don;t care if Utah is 9-2 and BYU is 6-5. The on field results over the last 5 weeks show the teams being very equal. For BYU to win, they have to limit turnovers, not give up big plays. Same for Utah. As a BYU fan though, the thing I really feel confident about is how our O-line with match up with the Utah D line. I think that gives ua a major edge--if we use it.(Talking to you Anae).
I
IndiCoug
I just have to go back to what our defense did the first half of the TCU game and then got undermined by the offense. I think we see that same defense but the difference is the offense has improved greatly and is now hitting on 6 ot 7 of our 8 cylinders (missing TE play but even that improved last game).

The difference between BYU's games againt TCU and Utah is our team will stay involved and excited because we will be making plays on both sides of the ball. The only wrench is possibly the weather and that is looking good at the moment -no rain or snow just cold.

I have to admit that did watch some of the last 3 ute games :sick: because of a wayward brother visiting. utah hasn't looked good at all. With that said, this isn't a normal game and utah ALWAYS gets up for this game (something BYU seems to lack because honestly, it's just utah 8) ).

I think this utah team is probably the worst team they have had in 4 years. BYU started the season as the worst in like 20 years but have put the puzzle together.

I like our chances.....I'm calling this in BYU's favor.
T
ttexastim
jonnylingo wrote:

I had heard that there are a few of you. nice to actually meet one.


I'm not that nice, just ask ABYUFAN. :lol:



We're all members of the same church, so it's not that hard to get along. Especially when both sides drop their levels of Smug. (Which reminds me of a southpark episode)
J
jonnylingo
ttexastim wrote:

I had heard that there are a few of you. nice to actually meet one.


I'm not that nice, just ask ABYUFAN. :lol:



We're all members of the same church, so it's not that hard to get along. Especially when both sides drop their levels of Smug. (Which reminds me of a southpark episode)


I was referring to your description of yourself as a diehard 'loyal' utah fan. I just didn't know many existed. Congratulations. ;)
T
taekwondave
ttexastim wrote:
Meh. What Ute fans see is that BYU beat up on 3 of the worst teams in the conference. Utah did the same and then got called "over-rated". You really want to strut and posture for your team after beating up on CSU, UNLV, and UNM???


You're missing the point. It's true that all Ute fans are seeing is BYU beating up on those three bad teams, but they're forgetting that earlier in the year, when we were racking up our five losses, we got blown out by an equally bad Utah State team. We did because at THAT TIME we had NOTHING under control. Our receivers weren't catching passes, our quarterback wasn't making throws, our defense couldn't stop a high school team full of girls, and our O-line wasn't protecting.



Fast forward to today's cougar team and against the same level of competition we've had three straight blowouts in the other direction. It just wouldn't be wise for Utes to go into the game, assuming they're playing a 6-5 team, when really, they're playing a 4-1 team since Bronco fired Hill and took more control over the team (they're only loss coming to TCU). I'm not saying we'll automatically win this game, I'm just saying that Utah isn't playing like a 9-2 team right now and BYU isn't playing like a 6-5 team right now. They look VERY even at this point, regardless of their records.
Advertisement
T
taekwondave
This happened a few years back the other way. Our record made us overly confident going into the Utah game in 2006. We ignored the fact that Utah, despite their overall record, had righted the ship and had won six or seven straight games. The line was in our favor then but it took a miracle to beat you guys. I see a lot of parallels to then this year.
C
Cougarbib
I only know one thing for certain about this game. BYU has a better defense than Utah.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
taekwondave
Cougarbib2 wrote:
I only know one thing for certain about this game. BYU has a better defense than Utah.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agreed. Gosh. How long has it been since we could say THAT? That's what gives me the most confidence going into this game.
T
ttexastim
taekwondave wrote:
Meh. What Ute fans see is that BYU beat up on 3 of the worst teams in the conference. Utah did the same and then got called "over-rated". You really want to strut and posture for your team after beating up on CSU, UNLV, and UNM???


You're missing the point. It's true that all Ute fans are seeing is BYU beating up on those three bad teams, but they're forgetting that earlier in the year, when we were racking up our five losses, we got blown out by an equally bad Utah State team. We did because at THAT TIME we had NOTHING under control. Our receivers weren't catching passes, our quarterback wasn't making throws, our defense couldn't stop a high school team full of girls, and our O-line wasn't protecting.



Fast forward to today's cougar team and against the same level of competition we've had three straight blowouts in the other direction. It just wouldn't be wise for Utes to go into the game, assuming they're playing a 6-5 team, when really, they're playing a 4-1 team since Bronco fired Hill and took more control over the team (they're only loss coming to TCU). I'm not saying we'll automatically win this game, I'm just saying that Utah isn't playing like a 9-2 team right now and BYU isn't playing like a 6-5 team right now. They look VERY even at this point, regardless of their records.


Exactly right. However, you are 4-1, with your wins coming against the bottom teams in the MWC. We've had two really mind numbing losses. I might as well count the ND game a win for TCU, I think they really hit us that hard.



I have no confidence in either team at this point. Like I said in another post ... even when we were winning, I didn't feel that the offense was firing on all cylinders. Wynn has really made some bad decisions that have cost us. What shocks me the most is our defense though. Whittingham is usually pretty good at putting an excellent defense on the field. All year we've heard how deep we are on d-line, and what not, but I haven't seen us pressure the QB yet. (I didn't watch the SDSU game though). Our safetys and corners are getting better though.



All in all, it wouldn't surprise me to see BYU walk all over our D. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see our defense get real stingy and do well. Blechen and Burton have been improving every game, and a pick or two by them might be the difference in the game. Especially if Heaps is having an off day. For me, predicting this game is like asking a Magic 8 ball questions. My outcome changes daily.
S
SpiffCoug
taekwondave wrote:
Meh. What Ute fans see is that BYU beat up on 3 of the worst teams in the conference. Utah did the same and then got called "over-rated". You really want to strut and posture for your team after beating up on CSU, UNLV, and UNM???


You're missing the point. It's true that all Ute fans are seeing is BYU beating up on those three bad teams, but they're forgetting that earlier in the year, when we were racking up our five losses, we got blown out by an equally bad Utah State team. We did because at THAT TIME we had NOTHING under control. Our receivers weren't catching passes, our quarterback wasn't making throws, our defense couldn't stop a high school team full of girls, and our O-line wasn't protecting.



Fast forward to today's cougar team and against the same level of competition we've had three straight blowouts in the other direction. It just wouldn't be wise for Utes to go into the game, assuming they're playing a 6-5 team, when really, they're playing a 4-1 team since Bronco fired Hill and took more control over the team (they're only loss coming to TCU). I'm not saying we'll automatically win this game, I'm just saying that Utah isn't playing like a 9-2 team right now and BYU isn't playing like a 6-5 team right now. They look VERY even at this point, regardless of their records.

I endorse this post.



BYU is NOT playing like a 6-5 team. They're playing like a 4-1 team whose only loss was to a Top 3 team. And a team that held that #3 team to their lowest offensive output of the season. If the Utes think they're playing an average defense, they're in trouble.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.