Archived Topic

Can BYU run on Utah?

by Dwight · 11/21/2010

Advertisement
D
Dwight
Did USDS choose not to run on Utah because they have a good run defense, or is USDS just a one dimensional team? Will this be a light workout week for Cougs, or will it be more 1s vs 1s? What will it take to get another really nice end of game highlight video? :D
C
CougarPeasant
SDSU chose not to run. They have a great running back, but an even better QB. BYU can run on :utard: I keep underestimating BYU's run game and they keep running up big numbers. BYU's offensive line finally took control and the run game hasn't been slowed since. Even against TCU, the run game was there in the I-formation. Heaps is very good at checking down and Ashworth and company have improved tremendously where BYU will not be a one dimensional team that KWhitt can scheme against.



I think :utard: should be favored, however, but only because it is a home game for them and BYU only has the one road win so far, but I expect them to have their 2d one the end of Saturday. :)
C
craigoscarson
CougarPeasant wrote:
SDSU chose not to run. They have a great running back, but an even better QB. BYU can run on :utard: I keep underestimating BYU's run game and they keep running up big numbers. BYU's offensive line finally took control and the run game hasn't been slowed since. Even against TCU, the run game was there in the I-formation. Heaps is very good at checking down and Ashworth and company have improved tremendously where BYU will not be a one dimensional team that KWhitt can scheme against.



I think :utard: should be favored, however, but only because it is a home game for them and BYU only has the one road win so far, but I expect them to have their 2d one the end of Saturday. :)


I hope you're right. I honestly don't know what to expect and it's mostly because of what Utah did at Iowa State and how we performed against SDSU.



I really think this is anyone's ball game but I hope our guys are loose and realize the have nothing to lose and smacking some Utes upside the head sounds like a fun way to spend a day.
C
CAFB_04-12
I think BYU will have to run to control the clock. I don't think we keep up with Utah if it gets into a shooting match.



But I also think we come out with a balanced offense. We'll need to take care of the ball (no momentum shifts due to giving away a turnover) and not kill drives with penalties (false start anyone?).
B
BigCougsFan
I don't think it will be our run game, alone, that will work. We have been very balanced on offense these past few games. If we keep that balance in the first half AND then make the adjustments for the second half, we'll be in the game for sure.



Who ever wins field possession will win this game. Utah's special teams is extremely good, thanks to Shaky. We definitely will need Bronco to coach up our special teams this week.



Utah also takes big shots down the field. We tend to let too many get past us. This kinda worries me.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Yes, we will run on Utah. Name the last time we couldn't. Add to it that this might be our best O-line in years, and the Utah D-line is not as great as thought and the LBs are not great, and we will run it. Run with play action. In heavy doses.
C
CAFB_04-12
BYU's O-line will have to do a great job of picking up the Utah blitz. It seemed that Utah came at SDSU a lot, especially toward the end of the game, which cause Lindley to throw some dangerous passes, including one that ended their final drive. Heaps has improved his passing under pressure, but Utah will bring some better heat than CSU, UNM, Wyo, and UNLV.
B
Brayden Green
Outside the tackles no, not a chance.



Up the middle. Probably.



ARE YOU LISTENING ANAE?



Let's not have a repeat of 2008, you big dope...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
I don't mind the JJ or Falsalev fly sweep thing a couple times to keep the D on their toes, but please not on 3rd and 2!
S
Schmoe
Can we run on Utah? Is this really a question? We can run on any team in the league this year, Utah's D is not good.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
BYU vs Utah since 2005. These are averages



Rushing: 30.8 carries, 146.0 yards, 4.7 ypc

Passing: 21 completions, 41 attempts, 258.4 yards, 1.6 TDs, 1.2 INTs, 111.18 rating. 51.2% complete.



We haven't been above 94 in PER since 2006. We haven't been below 130 yards rushing since 2006.



I think we will be able to run on them, but this year, I think we'll also be able to pass.
C
craigoscarson
Schmoe wrote:
Can we run on Utah? Is this really a question? We can run on any team in the league this year, Utah's D is not good.


Depending on the weather we might have to anyhow.
J
jrhinomo
CougarPeasant wrote:
SDSU chose not to run. They have a great running back, but an even better QB. BYU can run on :utard: I keep underestimating BYU's run game and they keep running up big numbers. BYU's offensive line finally took control and the run game hasn't been slowed since. Even against TCU, the run game was there in the I-formation. Heaps is very good at checking down and Ashworth and company have improved tremendously where BYU will not be a one dimensional team that KWhitt can scheme against.



I think :utard: should be favored, however, but only because it is a home game for them and BYU only has the one road win so far, but I expect them to have their 2d one the end of Saturday. :)


Utah opens as a 10 to 11 point favorite. I bet that line moves closer to -9 by week's end.
D
Dwight
I am beginning to believe in the BYU running game. But if they can run on any team in the league, as was said on this post, why couldn't they run at all against TCU? I would love nothing more than to see Brian Kariya run up the middle for the winning game highlight. Well except for maybe seeing Rich get a real pick six.
C
CAFB_04-12
Dwight wrote:
I am beginning to believe in the BYU running game. But if they can run on any team in the league, as was said on this post, why couldn't they run at all against TCU? I would love nothing more than to see Brian Kariya run up the middle for the winning game highlight. Well except for maybe seeing Rich get a real pick six.

Because TCU has the nations top defense. #1. Nobody better in the country.



Utah's run defense is...not #1.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
It depends on how precisely Heaps is throwing. Some of the behind the receiver and over their head returned Vs NM. But then Heaps settled down. Utah will try what teams used to do vs BYU - they will load up and cheat up until Heaps proves he is on target. They will try to pressure him and trick him into throwing to the wrong guy.



If Heaps is on target with precision, the Utes will have to adjust to respect that and then we will be able to run all over them. They can only shut down our running game if we are killing drives with incomplete, dropped, tipped, and intercepted passes or heaven forbid, false start, off sides, and other stupid penalties.



We need to have our freshmen hang onto the ball. Utah feasted on stripping the ball in an earlier win and specifically practiced to do that. They will try that VS Juice, Hoffman, Falslev, and maybe even JJ and any of our tight ends.



Ball Control and Execution.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
What is Matt Reynolds' status? It makes a huge difference.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
ttexastim
Hmmm ... good question. I think BYU might be able to run up the middle, but it won't be a running game the fans will enjoy. It will be 1-2 yard runs. I would bet that Kyle is going to really focus on stopping the run and force Heaps to beat us with his arm. Heaps should have all day to throw, because I haven't seen the Utes put any pressure on a QB yet this year. I hope this changes, but I haven't been impressed thus far. So ... even if we do stop the run, if Heaps can thread the needle and find guys open (and get them to hang onto the ball) it could be a bad situation.



What our D-line lacks in size against your hoss's is made up for with speed and LOTS of players. Utah has the luxery of being able to rotate D-Linemen all game, keeping them fresh. Yes, I think you'll be able to run a little up the middle, but I don't think it will be enough to make a game of. Heaps is gonna have to win this one for you guys.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.