Archived Topic

Predicted Record for our 2011 Season

by byucougar1 · 11/19/2010

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
We play the following away games:



MS

TX

OSU

HI

LT



We play the following home games:



UT

UCF

USU

NMU

ID

SJSU



I see potentially losing to TX, HI - and a two loss season.



For me this schedule is great from an accessibility standpoint. Living in the hinterland of AR, now I can attend MS, LT games similar to last year when we saw OU and Tulane. While I miss seeing games at LES, I welcome the opportunity to unite with Coug fans across the country as we go on the Independent journey.
G
gmj81
I'll just throw out an optimistic 11-1, but won't say yet which game I think we'll lose. I definitely don't see it being against Ole Miss, LaTech or Hawaii or any of the home games. I really don't think OSU will be much improved over this season either. Texas might get back to form but we'll see soon I guess. They are certainly beatable when they don't have a game-changer at QB like Young and McCoy. But they are also good enough to win any game they want to as evidenced by the Nebraska game this year.
G
Guest
8 and 4.
P
ProV1
I'll go Jackson Emery...12-0!
B
byutx
12-0 without Anae.



9-3 with Anae.
Advertisement
B
byutx
One benefit of the schedule is we won't be facing an elite team that has had 5-6 years to perfect its approach to defending Anae's offense. That alone may push us to 10-2 under him.
Y
YBrit
This is a tough BcS like schedule. BcS like money, and hopefully we'll have lots of wins. I'm sure we'll have a more balanced home-road schedule over the next few years.
Y
Y 4 Ever
13-0. And another sucky home schedule past the 1st game.
B
byucougar1
What I also like is the exposure the players get to go against other well respected conferences - instant cred - can stifle the opposition questioning who we played.



Potential recruits in other states will also get first hand impression of how the team fares outside its former MWC.



TX, OR, and MS can be fertile grounds for plucking up some good LDS players as well as attracting upstanding young men looking to attend a school with high moral values, good academics not to mention a plethora of wholesome cultural/social activities.
C
craigoscarson
I'll take 8-4 and be happy that BYU is getting paid, getting seen, and our freshman class keeps growing up. 8-4 is nothing to be embarrased about given it's our 1st year in independence and our difficulty in scheduling.



Our road schedule is brutal and we'll pay the price for it; but we'll benefit from the experience.



I don't know the exact numbers, but I wouldnt' be surprised if between hoops and football that BYU didnt' get paid more and seen more than the rest of the MWC combined next season.



note: I'll drink the koolaid and predict 2 losses or less if Matt Reynolds comes back and that someone can promise me that Joe Sampson will be as good as Andrew Rich.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
But are BYU players being paid? Should the be? ;)
C
Cougarbib
I only saw 11 games listed - so I assume the folks who's picks add up to 12 are either including a Bowl game or a yet to be announced regular season game. We could even go 13 due to playing at Hawaii. So forgive me for holding off on my final guess until I see the final schedules including who gets a bye week before playing us and who comes after our bye week.



But I do not see less than 4 losses. Sorry - our freshman will become a soph not a senior.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byuisbetterthanutah
Cougarbib2 wrote:
But I do not see less than 4 losses. Sorry - our freshman will become a soph not a senior.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


What are the four guaranteed losses and other possible losses?
I
Italics
it depends on so many factors....



Texas: Do they improve next year? I think we could beat these guys THIS year, but they may end up improving a lot in the off-season (then again, so will we)



OSU: Unless these guys improve a lot, we beat them. I think they lose the Rogers bros though, don't they?



UCF: They are a decent team this year. Again, no idea whether they are on the upswing or the downswing



Utah: Should be better next year - but they may bench Wynn for Cain. Seems like they have a bit of a QB dilemma going on



those are the four biggest doubts in my mind in terms of winning - and all three of them look beatable from this standpoint. I don't comment on Mississippi cos I'm not sure if we're playing them yet...



Hawaii's defense sucks. Unless our offense plays awful, we'll score enough points to beat them.



It's hard to predict next season after the disappointment that was the beginning of this season.



I think we are capably of finishing upwards of around 10-2, but that's only if we play to our potential. That doesn't happen all the time with us.
C
Cougarbib
byuisbetterthanutah wrote:
But I do not see less than 4 losses. Sorry - our freshman will become a soph not a senior.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


What are the four guaranteed losses and other possible losses?

As I clearly said I will hold my prediction until I see the final schedule and I will include a bowl game.



I will also see how Texas turns it's ship this next couple of weeks - ditto Utes. I do not see one guaranteed loss. Instead, I see the potential for 6-8 50/50 ish games and we will lose some of those most likely. Bye week timing fir us and opponents, etc. I will also factor in what we will or will not be ready to do when Heaps sprains an ankle.



Off the top of my head -

We may play 12-14 games including a Bowl game. That will make a difference depending on who the other two are or are not and how many more stupid road games we take.



Texas

Hawaii

Utah - home

Osu

Ole Miss

UCF

Bowl Opponent on neutral field if lucky

Worrying that we add 2 more - but add Weber State and SUU and I will change my projection to 11-3 with a Top 20 finish

Are the current 50/50 games with the road being a factor on almost all of them.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars
Italics wrote:
Utah: Should be better next year

After losing Asiata, Wide, and Shakerin? I doubt it.
Y
Y12
When we talked about going indy for exposure to spread awareness of the mission of the university, we weren't kidding.



First target, the SE/Central US: Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi. If we go to the Independence Bowl, that will be an early trip to Louisiana.



I wonder if this was strategic or pure coincidence? Probably coincidence, but you never know. I mean, we just got Ole Miss to change its game with Boise State.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.