Archived Topic

Where does Jimmer end up?

by Florwood · 11/18/2010

Advertisement
F
Florwood
Last night Jimmer replaced Cummard as number 10 for career points scored at BYU. He's at 1581 points, with 30-35 games left to play, depending on how far they go in the MWC and NCAA tournaments. The current top five in BYU history are



Danny Ainge 2,467

Michael Smith 2,319

Devin Durrant 2,285

Russell Larson 1,885

Fred Roberts 1,841



If we do three games in each tournament, I think Jimmer will end up with about 2,350 points (average 22/game) and in second place...what do you think?



Cougarstats career scoring list: http://www.cougarstats.com/hoops/lists/pts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
SpiffCoug
Top four for sure. If he can get to three he can probably also get to two. I really don't know. If he stays healthy, two is probably very likely.
G
gmj81
I don't think he'll get quite enough to surpass Danny but should definitely pass Durrant and I think will even pass Smith.



With at least 31 games left (reg. season plus min. of 1 MWC and 1 NCAA tourney game each) averaging his current 25.0 ppg he would hit 775 pts for the year putting him at 2356 pts for his career. Some might say that he won't be able to keep pace with 25.0 ppg but I think he can. He had 22.1 ppg last year and once he gets into the flow of the season a little more should improve on his numbers from last year despite what I consider somewhat of a slow start in the first two games so far. What's more given all the additional experience he gained from his offseason activities Jimmer will no doubt be better than ever and may be required to carry the team even more this year than last. Finally, I think it's safe to assume that he'll have at least 1-2 games more than the 31 I originally used in my calculations which would allow him to carry a lower average and still pass Smith. At 31 games, he would have to average about 28.5 ppg to pass Ainge. At say 33 games, the number would be more like 27.0 ppg to do so. Can he keep that up? It's certainly possible but might be tough. But every extra game they can squeak out of the MWC and NCAA tourneys gives him that much better of a chance of course.
G
gmj81
Well, so far he's scored more points in each of the three games played so far (24, 26, 27). Who thinks he'll continue the trend against MVSU?
C
craigoscarson
Anywhere near that top 3 is just remarkable. Michael Smith is my all time favorite BYU hoops athlete and Ainge is the greatest athlete to play any sport at BYU (and probably could have played any sport).
Advertisement
U
urroner
He might not have been able to play in any sport, but Kresimir Cosic, in my mind, was the greatest b-ball player ever at BYU. The dude could play ball and he really enjoyed it and was fun to watch.
S
SpiffCoug
gmj81 wrote:
Well, so far he's scored more points in each of the three games played so far (24, 26, 27). Who thinks he'll continue the trend against MVSU?

He went +2, +1. So does he get to 29 to keep the pattern going?
G
Gunk
I think he's gunning a bit for JT's 3-point record. We calculated he'd need to sink at least three 3-pointers a game to be within striking distance. He dropped 1 against Fresno, 5 against USU and 5 against Chicago. He's averaging almost 4/game currently.



Didn't realize this, though, he shot 14 3-pointers in the USU game. Guess he just needed the practice on our rims because against Chicago he only took 6 and made 5.
S
Schmoe
Where does he end up? In the NBA!
G
GolfDiveNCougs
craigoscarson wrote:
Anywhere near that top 3 is just remarkable. Michael Smith is my all time favorite BYU hoops athlete and Ainge is the greatest athlete to play any sport at BYU (and probably could have played any sport).
Reading that last part of your post, I couldn't help thinking of a piece I read by an ESPN guy about Danny that absolutely cracks me up:
Here's one I'd never heard. I was hanging out on the set with my friend and mentor, Ron Shelton (director of "White Men Can't Jump"). It went something like this: Someone said, "Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete in the world."



Ron immediately fired up. "That's bulls$%&!!!," he growled. (With Shelton, it isn't worth discussing if you can't growl about it.) "Michael Jordan is an amazing physical specimen who advanced one game to its highest level. But no way he's the best athlete in the world."



"Who is, then?" someone asked.



"Why not Danny Ainge?"



"Danny Ainge? Danny Ainge!!???"



"You mean Danny Ainge the whiner?"



"That Danny Ainge?"



"Yeah," said Ron. "For starters, Danny Ainge has two NBA rings as a member of the Celtics. He shot almost 50 percent from the floor."



"What'd Jordan shoot?"



"About the same," said Ron.



"So you're sayin' Ainge was good as Michael?" someone foolishly inquired.



"Did I say that!? I didn't say that!" yelled Ron.



"Bob Cousy only shot 37 percent," I threw in to deflect the heat.



"And they say players today can't shoot," someone added.



"Look," said Ron. "We're talking greatest athlete, not basketball player. Athlete. And before the Celtics, Danny Ainge actually played Major League Baseball. Three years with the Blue Jays. Something Jordan didn't come close to."



"Yeah, but Ainge couldn't hit, either."



"It's a matter of degree," barked Ron. "Ainge was 10 times the baseball player that Michael Jordan was. And last -- he's a scratch golfer. Do you know how tough that is?"



I didn't know (having sworn off golf years earlier as just one more unnecessary pursuit that was bound to make me crazy), but I knew we were gonna find out. Shelton, you'll remember, directed "Tin Cup" and is a fine golfer, himself.



"How tough?" someone asked.



"Ask Michael Jordan," answered Ron

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ryder/031216.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



The last line is what cracks me up so much. TOTALLY slams Michael Jordan's golf game.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.