Archived Topic

Top of this conference as good as football?

by craigoscarson · 11/18/2010

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
SDSU

UNM

BYU



all won big games this week... In years past, sdsu, unlv and others have dropped big noncon games that have really hurt our conference rpi and sos... as it stands right now, the top of our conference is cleaning up. This is great news.



Now, we just have to find a center....
C
Cougs_Rule
Agreed.

We are all going to have to find our own "center" of spiritual/emotional groundedness, because I dont think we are going to be so lucky as to find a quality/productive center. I think the best we get is what we saw last night. Noah and CC mixing it up down low.
E
EM_Puma
dmcougar wrote:
Agreed.

We are all going to have to find our own "center" of spiritual/emotional groundedness, because I dont think we are going to be so lucky as to find a quality/productive center. I think the best we get is what we saw last night. Noah and CC mixing it up down low.


yes, it has been a glaring weakness that we've managed in the first 2 games, but we just don't seem to have a permanent solution and I believe that this weakness will sink our end of the year prospects more than anything else. We need to work our tail off to get the best seeding we can so we don't end up with a team that is less than us, but beats us with their big man going off.



Oh it's so hard to not do "what if's". If Rose would have seen that Tai Wesley was someone he needed to offer a scholie to in 2005 instead of James Anderson or whomever, I can't imagine how good we'd be this season.
C
craigoscarson
EM_Puma wrote:
Agreed.

We are all going to have to find our own "center" of spiritual/emotional groundedness, because I dont think we are going to be so lucky as to find a quality/productive center. I think the best we get is what we saw last night. Noah and CC mixing it up down low.


yes, it has been a glaring weakness that we've managed in the first 2 games, but we just don't seem to have a permanent solution and I believe that this weakness will sink our end of the year prospects more than anything else. We need to work our tail off to get the best seeding we can so we don't end up with a team that is less than us, but beats us with their big man going off.



Oh it's so hard to not do "what if's". If Rose would have seen that Tai Wesley was someone he needed to offer a scholie to in 2005 instead of James Anderson or whomever, I can't imagine how good we'd be this season.


I just had a chat with Mekeli Wesley; Tai would have jumped on the BYU offer too. It was a major mistake. Dave Rose doesn't seem to like the 6'7" big man while USU has several (Jardine, Wesley etc.) but I would love to have one guy with enough strength to own the blocks and we have none.



I have been a friend and supporter to the Hartsock family, long before Noah ever stepped foot on a BYU court, but his one glaring weakness is his strength. We fix that, and we have a top flight 4.

Collinsworth, Davies, and Anderson have a multitude of weaknesses, strength just being one of thenm... I don't see a quick enough fix at the 5 to assure anything more than a dance invite and coinflip 1st round game. (regardless, we're going to be fun to watch and easy to root for)



side note:

The Collinsworth brothers would be scary good though if they had even the slightest hint of a shot; they're bouncy, active, and good passers; but their shots are not ready for the D1 game.
S
SpiffCoug
If I remember my timeline correctly, the reason we didn't offer Tai Wesley was Lee Cummard. Cummard came home from his mission early and BYU had a decision, honor the commitment to Cummard or offer Wesley. I believe BYU asked Wesley to either walk on, grey shrit or go on a mission first. He didn't want to wait and Utah State said they'd have a scholarship for him right away. So he became an Aggie.



If I further remember correctly, Tai wound up going on a mission first anyways, so he could have come to BYU anyways. Personally, I don't think he wanted to come to BYU, otherwise he would have done what BYU coaches were asking him to do and which is what he wound up doing anyways.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
kitic77 wrote:
If I remember my timeline correctly, the reason we didn't offer Tai Wesley was Lee Cummard. Cummard came home from his mission early and BYU had a decision, honor the commitment to Cummard or offer Wesley. I believe BYU asked Wesley to either walk on, grey shrit or go on a mission first. He didn't want to wait and Utah State said they'd have a scholarship for him right away. So he became an Aggie.



If I further remember correctly, Tai wound up going on a mission first anyways, so he could have come to BYU anyways. Personally, I don't think he wanted to come to BYU, otherwise he would have done what BYU coaches were asking him to do and which is what he wound up doing anyways.


Yes, now I remember that. A guy I work with and I have been trying to remember what had happened and now I remember it now. thanks Scott
C
craigoscarson
kitic77 wrote:
If I remember my timeline correctly, the reason we didn't offer Tai Wesley was Lee Cummard. Cummard came home from his mission early and BYU had a decision, honor the commitment to Cummard or offer Wesley. I believe BYU asked Wesley to either walk on, grey shrit or go on a mission first. He didn't want to wait and Utah State said they'd have a scholarship for him right away. So he became an Aggie.



If I further remember correctly, Tai wound up going on a mission first anyways, so he could have come to BYU anyways. Personally, I don't think he wanted to come to BYU, otherwise he would have done what BYU coaches were asking him to do and which is what he wound up doing anyways.


I think it was more that we pussy footed around with him while Stew knew exactly what he saw in Tai; remember Craig Drury and Morrill are the best of pals. If Drury didn't think a kid would get a fair shake at the Y; he'd let them know. Davies was pressed very hard by Cal, Stanford, and particularly Utah State; so Stew saw something... I hope we discover it, soon.
S
SpiffCoug
craigoscarson wrote:
If I remember my timeline correctly, the reason we didn't offer Tai Wesley was Lee Cummard. Cummard came home from his mission early and BYU had a decision, honor the commitment to Cummard or offer Wesley. I believe BYU asked Wesley to either walk on, grey shrit or go on a mission first. He didn't want to wait and Utah State said they'd have a scholarship for him right away. So he became an Aggie.



If I further remember correctly, Tai wound up going on a mission first anyways, so he could have come to BYU anyways. Personally, I don't think he wanted to come to BYU, otherwise he would have done what BYU coaches were asking him to do and which is what he wound up doing anyways.


I think it was more that we pussy footed around with him while Stew knew exactly what he saw in Tai; remember Craig Drury and Morrill are the best of pals. If Drury didn't think a kid would get a fair shake at the Y; he'd let them know. Davies was pressed very hard by Cal, Stanford, and particularly Utah State; so Stew saw something... I hope we discover it, soon.


Be that as it may, BYU was still forced to chose between Lee Cummard and Tai Wesley. BYU asked Wesley to do exactly what he wound up doing. If he really wanted to come to BYU then he would have done everything exactly the same, except that his jersey would have said BYU the last three years and BYU this year.



We had to pussy-foot around with him. We were in a bind. We tried to get both Tai and Lee. We could have had both. We should have had both. We'd have been better getting both. But Tai didn't want to come to BYU. BYU would have had a scholarship for him after his mission, just like USU did.
B
beauso79
craigoscarson wrote:
If I remember my timeline correctly, the reason we didn't offer Tai Wesley was Lee Cummard. Cummard came home from his mission early and BYU had a decision, honor the commitment to Cummard or offer Wesley. I believe BYU asked Wesley to either walk on, grey shrit or go on a mission first. He didn't want to wait and Utah State said they'd have a scholarship for him right away. So he became an Aggie.



If I further remember correctly, Tai wound up going on a mission first anyways, so he could have come to BYU anyways. Personally, I don't think he wanted to come to BYU, otherwise he would have done what BYU coaches were asking him to do and which is what he wound up doing anyways.


I think it was more that we pussy footed around with him while Stew knew exactly what he saw in Tai; remember Craig Drury and Morrill are the best of pals. If Drury didn't think a kid would get a fair shake at the Y; he'd let them know. Davies was pressed very hard by Cal, Stanford, and particularly Utah State; so Stew saw something... I hope we discover it, soon.


Who's going to discover it though?? We need help in a hurry
C
craigoscarson
beauso79 wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
If I remember my timeline correctly, the reason we didn't offer Tai Wesley was Lee Cummard. Cummard came home from his mission early and BYU had a decision, honor the commitment to Cummard or offer Wesley. I believe BYU asked Wesley to either walk on, grey shrit or go on a mission first. He didn't want to wait and Utah State said they'd have a scholarship for him right away. So he became an Aggie.



If I further remember correctly, Tai wound up going on a mission first anyways, so he could have come to BYU anyways. Personally, I don't think he wanted to come to BYU, otherwise he would have done what BYU coaches were asking him to do and which is what he wound up doing anyways.


I think it was more that we pussy footed around with him while Stew knew exactly what he saw in Tai; remember Craig Drury and Morrill are the best of pals. If Drury didn't think a kid would get a fair shake at the Y; he'd let them know. Davies was pressed very hard by Cal, Stanford, and particularly Utah State; so Stew saw something... I hope we discover it, soon.


Who's going to discover it though?? We need help in a hurry


million dollar question... I think we'll see flashes, but I'm not sure if we'll get any consistency; and that means we're good but not great
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Yep, need consistency is something Rose's teams have been begging for in the post.
B
BroncoBot
Semantics here, I know, but it has been discovered, just hasn't been developed. Hopefully someone can do that (develop post talent).
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.