Archived Topic

BYU vs USU Game Thread

by Gunk · 11/18/2010

Advertisement
G
Gunk
BYU up by 3. USU just staged a bit of a come back but Hartsock and Abouo put an end to it.
G
Gunk
20 to 16, BYU. Jimmer has 12 points.
G
Gunk
KC has two steals in the last 2 min. Trouble finishing though and for some reason he fades away while shooting free throws.
G
Gunk
USU is playing us tough. Good defense. Our bigs are really having trouble down low on offense, but we seem to be rebounding (Rogers 4 boards in like 2 min of play). USU is doing a good job of closing up the lane.



Wesley with USU has 2 fouls.
G
Gunk
23 to 19. Jimmer has 15 points.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
I'm actually really impressed with Rogers tonight. His offensive game isn't that great, but he's got 4 or 5 boards already, blocked shot, drew a charge and came very very close to a steal.
G
Gunk
Only up by one...Jimmer is the only one scoring.
Q
Qman
Gunk wrote:
I'm actually really impressed with Rogers tonight. His offensive game isn't that great, but he's got 4 or 5 boards already, blocked shot, drew a charge and came very very close to a steal.


As many points as he scored in JC I am sure he was told to focus on D.
Q
Qman
It looks like they will foul us if we drive and collapse the lane. We should be able to get fouled or kick it out for open 3's.
G
Gunk
We're down! 32 to 31. No offense other than Jimmer.
Advertisement
S
storminmormon
Yeah, BYU is looking too one dimensional. Someone else has to get involved. There are just weaving at the perimeter all night and not getting anywhere inside the paint.
B
BerliNY
39% shooting (USU shot 49%) how on earth did we win that game?
Y
YBrit
Great win Cougars, Hartsock played well at the end. I hate utah state, wesley is a crybaby.
C
craigoscarson
Tai Wesley could have gotten a T in the 1st half when he chucked a guy and took a shot at Jimmer.



That being said, it was a huge mistake when the Cougs didn't offer Tai a scholarship and he showed us why tonight.



Noah played great, Jimmer forced too much, Stephen Rogers didn't play enough, the Collinsworths are foul machines, and we win by 15+ if Charles and Jackson hit their 3s.



Our shots weren't falling and we still won; I'll take it. Charles and Jackson are much better than what they showed tonight.



Davies... I believe is getting punished for being lazier than crap



Hartsock shows no worse for the wear after getting married this summer; he's a warrior
M
mizzoucoug
Amazing that we won this game. Wesley and Jardine would EASILY start for BYU--it's pathetic to see in-state big men continue to own us year after year. Rose's inability to recruit top big talent or coach up what we do have is the reason we'll never make a tourney run. Ok game but we'd have lost this game by 25 at USU...I was not impressed with much tonight.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
USU missed 11 free throws... fouls and missed free throws doomed them because their defense was great and our defense was so-so



apparently Davies might have been sick, but do any of you believe that he would have been a difference healthy?
I
Italics
mizzoucoug wrote:
Amazing that we won this game. Wesley and Jardine would EASILY start for BYU--it's pathetic to see in-state big men continue to own us year after year. Rose's inability to recruit top big talent or coach up what we do have is the reason we'll never make a tourney run. Ok game but we'd have lost this game by 25 at USU...I was not impressed with much tonight.


Agreed. As I've said a few bazillion times before... BYU will never be an elite team until we have good bigs. Yes, that means that I do not see us being elite this year - neither do I see us going further than the second round in the tourney. Spare me the "it's too early" talk. It's obvious that we don't have an inside game. We needed Davies and Andersen to improve their game... they didn't. Living off of your guard play only gets you so far in college basketball.



I don't get it? Why/how do we not recruit good bigs? Is if that hard for a Top 25 team?
C
CAFB_04-12
I don't watch a lot of basketball, but it does seem that BYU is weak on the inside offensively. Hartsock had some good rebounding, but BYU just doesn't get that many points in the paint.
C
craigoscarson
Italics wrote:
Amazing that we won this game. Wesley and Jardine would EASILY start for BYU--it's pathetic to see in-state big men continue to own us year after year. Rose's inability to recruit top big talent or coach up what we do have is the reason we'll never make a tourney run. Ok game but we'd have lost this game by 25 at USU...I was not impressed with much tonight.


Agreed. As I've said a few bazillion times before... BYU will never be an elite team until we have good bigs. Yes, that means that I do not see us being elite this year - neither do I see us going further than the second round in the tourney. Spare me the "it's too early" talk. It's obvious that we don't have an inside game. We needed Davies and Andersen to improve their game... they didn't. Living off of your guard play only gets you so far in college basketball.



I don't get it? Why/how do we not recruit good bigs? Is if that hard for a Top 25 team?


Every big we have, USU also recruited and Stew Morrill wanted Brandon Davies very very badly (so did Cal, Stanford, etc.) Ive said for years that there's a disconnect between the coaching staff and our true centers. I'm not sure if it's a talent thing or a coaching thing, but there's a problem and we need to fix it if we want to make some real noise this year.
C
CougarClaw
Except for jimmer, it was an off- shooting night. But look at the positives,

a- this is going to be a very good win for us down the stretch. I think usu is going to do quite well and well root forthem all the way.

B- we beat a very good team on an off night. That's what great teams do.

C - we had something like 20 more shots than usu did thanks to block, steals and a rebounding edge. Our hustle may have allowed us to shoot so poorly

D- rose now has 78 wins at the mc

E - even the defensive focus or a great defensive team, jimmer still scores 26.



All kinds of Things to like from this one.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.