Archived Topic

Alex Kuresa's monster game

by CougarClaw · 11/17/2010

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
I didn't understand this recruit. I thought we were overstocked at QB for the next four years but his last game had some eye-popping stats.



From Daily Herald:

"A monster game from commit Alex Kuresa (6-0 175 QB) who led his Mountain Crest (Utah) team to a 42-35 win over Bountiful in the 4A semifinals. Kuresa was 34-of-55 for 444 yards and four touchdowns and he also ran 16 times for 95 yards and two more scores"



6 TD's in one game? 34/55? 444 yards passing. 539 all-purpose yards, in a semi-final game?



Ok. The kid has my attention



Hopefully he goes on a mission starting next year and can join the team for a RS year during Heaps Senior year and second BCS National championship. :crazy:
L
livin the dream
Has anyone seen this kid play?



How is is arm strength and accuracy? Any chance of him being a star QB for BYU? From the pics it looks like he could use a few more pounds and maybe inches, but Max was short and he was great.

Or is Kuresa more of a Riley Nelson type with potential to play a different position? His high school numbers look pretty amazing.
C
Cougarfan87
If his brother is Jake, which I think he is but could be wrong, there is still plenty of potential to fill out physically.
B
BerliNY
So he basically did to Bountiful what Michael Vick did to the Redskins on Monday?
B
Brayden Green
Cougarfan87 wrote:
If his brother is Jake, which I think he is but could be wrong, there is still plenty of potential to fill out physically.


You aren't. Jake is his brother.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Even if not at QB we could still use him at other positions on the field - Isn't he supposed to be a heck of an athlete??
S
Schmoe
The state final games will be played this week and are broadcast locally on channel 14. You can catch Kuresa in the 4A state championship this Friday at 6:30 pm.
F
frdbtr
From what I have read, his HS head coach says that if he were a couple inches taller, every school in the country would be beating down his door. He is 6' and 175 lbs so he is small but so was Max.
C
CougarClaw
just by way of comparison, these stats are marginally better than than Heap's stats from his last two games COMBINED.



obviously different level of competition, but I'm very glad this kid is coming our way.
D
Ddawg
Impressive!! Actually - beyond impressive. Eye popping stats. I thought the exact same thing - "What do we need this kid for." But - you cannot pass on talent. You always have injuries, quitters, kids that do not work out despite hype. It looks like a real find & a catch for the Cougs.

If I may express myself: "Damn Reggie!!"
Advertisement
N
NCCoug
CougarClaw wrote:
just by way of comparison, these stats are marginally better than than Heap's stats from his last two games COMBINED.



obviously different level of competition, but I'm very glad this kid is coming our way.


So what you're saying, Claw, is that Jake's been putting up HS fantasy football numbers the last few weeks as a true freshman (albeit against the cellar of the MwC)?



Sounds like a good start. Here's to seeing it keep happening and to starting out our Independence on the right foot!
Y
Y 4 Ever
frdbtr wrote:
From what I have read, his HS head coach says that if he were a couple inches taller, every school in the country would be beating down his door. He is 6' and 175 lbs so he is small but so was Max.


He'll grow an inch or two on his mission, and get back just in time for Jake's draft.
B
Brayden Green
33311710 wrote:
From what I have read, his HS head coach says that if he were a couple inches taller, every school in the country would be beating down his door. He is 6' and 175 lbs so he is small but so was Max.


He'll grow an inch or two on his mission, and get back just in time for Jake's draft.


I hope not, and I hope so.



I hope not, cause I'd like him here for 4. I hope so, cause if he is getting drafted as a junior, that is very good news as to what the next two seasons have been like.
G
gmj81
Some tard over on Cougarboard was wondering what we were doing offering Kuresa. Funny thing was he just seemed to realize that Kuresa had committed when he's been committed for a long time now so he clearly doesn't follow the Cougars that much. The debate was pretty heated but it is funny to see the hypocrisy of some posters. They want to recruit like TCU and get all HS RBs and QBs to increase team speed but then complain about lack of size when we get guys like Kuresa. Then, when we get athletes like Kuresa to accomplish just that, they counter with "well he must not be that great of an athlete because he doesn't play in the south" after which they then talk about how BYU needs to recruit more outside of Utah like down in the South. Nevermind the kids like Chambers, Fabuluje who have struggled and other rumors about Phillips and Gaines. We can't seem to keep those kids longer than a year or two but "we need to get more of them" because they are "athletes" from the south. Mind you, I don't regret getting any of the aforementioned southerners, even when they don't pan out (though it is frustrating), it's just disconcerting to see so many people belittle the guys who end up being the cornerstones of our recruiting classes and championship teams, like Kuresa. Kids that you can count on to be smart tough players who may not contribute as much early on in their careers but who are loyal to BYU and are consistently solid when they are upperclassmen.



First of all, this kid still has a lot of room to grow. He probably hasn't even hit is growth spurt yet by the look of him and once his metabolism slows down even just a bit he might finally be able pack on some weight. But he plays just about every sport you can in high school so he's probably never even had any time to work out (always in the season of some sport, never an offseason to work out in). Which brings me to my next point... An athlete of his caliber doesn't have to play QB in college just because he played it in high school. We could use Kuresa at any number of positions.
S
stuckinbig10country
If Kuresa is 6'0", then I'm 6'6". He may grow, but how many people gain a couple inches at 18-21. Maybe I was strange, because I didn't grow more than an inch after I was 16, and from what I can tell, most of the people I grew up with didn't either.



That's not to say he can't play somewhere on the field. I'm just thinking it might not work out at quarterback for this kid.



It is very important to get as many athletes as you can, and if they are willing to be coached and work at different positions, then you're team is better.



I liked the pickup of Riley Nelson for this exact reason. I never saw him as a full-time starting QB, but he does have other skills that can make the team better. Does he have the desire to utilize these skills for the team, or does he only want to play QB.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
NCCoug wrote:
just by way of comparison, these stats are marginally better than than Heap's stats from his last two games COMBINED.



obviously different level of competition, but I'm very glad this kid is coming our way.


So what you're saying, Claw, is that Jake's been putting up HS fantasy football numbers the last few weeks as a true freshman (albeit against the cellar of the MwC)?



Sounds like a good start. Here's to seeing it keep happening and to starting out our Independence on the right foot!


I'm saying that Jake put up HS fantasy football numbers over TWO games what Kuresa put up in ONE game.



And as good as Jake has been, Alex's one game was a monster.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.