Archived Topic

Heaps and Bronco Relationship

by byucougar1 · 11/17/2010

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Listening to the Radio Show Last Night with Bronc speaking about Heaps being a very special talent:



1. we've known that from the minute we watched Jake play in high school. When you look at his career, and leading his team to a state championship as a sophomore, that's not easily done."



"He's very well-schooled, he's very mature. He's excellent in terms of why he chose BYU and having a broader grasp of what this program is. That doesn't, however, prepare you for game one in college."



"What has happened is every game he has played, he has improved, he has gotten better, he has learned not only how to lead a group of offensive players, he's learning how to lead the team, while he's learning how to represent the entire program."



2. "From a defensive perspective, and playing against other true freshman, or just looking around the country and talking with some of my colleagues... Jake came into the program more poised and more ready and more polished and more skilled and more prepared than I think any other quarterback has come into any Division I program this year."



"That doesn't mean the transition is easy, but what it does mean is his ability to learn, grasp the concepts, take feedback from a great coach in Coach Doman, apply it and then get better the next week, and keep chipping away at a complete game...has now led to a body of work that's pretty impressive in his first year."



Then Heaps said the following about Mendenhall:



"...he's never been a person to give more than what is deserved. You see a lot of head coaches, they want to build you up and say 'hey, you know what, you can be the biggest guy on campus as soon as you walk on...you can be this and that'... and Coach Mendenhall is (saying) 'you've got a long ways to go when you walk on campus..."



He sees me, and he just looks at at me... there's no...it's not even 'the starting quarterback, it just 'this little scrawny freshman kid' that's out there... but I really feel how much he cares about me, and that's the important thing."



"It wouldn't be the same if it was fake or not genuine. Whenever Coach Mendenhall says something to you, it's truly genuine; whether it's good or bad, it's truly genuine."



I think Bronco sees Heaps as the future of the Program and will keep him humble so that he respects and treasures that confidence - players egos need to be checked out when playing for him.
U
UliUli79
As long as Heaps gives over to BM and Doman, he'll be molded into one of our greatest. Watching videos of his play and seeing the flashes of pure brilliance that he displays is exciting. It's an exciting time to be a Cougar fan. :crazy:
C
CannonCougar85
I really think that Bronco is and has been trying to keep Heaps humble ever since he set foot on campus. Bronco wants Heaps to really work for every opportunity he gets. This is why I am not surprised by Broncos comments about having an open QB competition in the spring. It forces Heaps to work and I like that.
J
jonnylingo
Heaps is confident but knows what being successful requires. He understands that. i don't worry about his head getting so big that it is detrimental to the team or to himself. I think he will be very good quarterback at BYU. He has a huge amount of confidence. Some people will mistake that and accuse him of arrogance, but there are always haters. He has the skills to back it up and he in the early stage of becoming effective at a D1 level. Future at qb is bright.
Q
QuarterbackU
Heaps will be the greatest QB to ever come through BYU barring injury. He will be better than Beck and Hall in almost every statistical category. If he goes on a mission, who knows what will happen. Because of our successful running game he will not surpass Detmer statistically, but I can see us breaking into a BCS game or two in the next three years. Is it still "breaking" into a BCS game if you are an independent?
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
[quote="QuarterbackU"]Heaps will be the greatest QB to ever come through BYU barring injury. He will be better than Beck and Hall in almost every statistical category. If he goes on a mission, who knows what will happen. Because of our successful running game he will not surpass Detmer statistically, but I can see us breaking into a BCS game or two in the next three years.



Welcome to the "Heaps' little sisters club". Heres a hint, dont open the door for Cougarbib. He says he loves Heaps but wait till he throws a pick or two. Bib will be chucking stones at our clubhouse again, yelling at us for defending Heaps and dividing up blame for the other teammates; as will Fdbtr.
Q
QuarterbackU
dmcougar wrote:
Heaps will be the greatest QB to ever come through BYU barring injury. He will be better than Beck and Hall in almost every statistical category. If he goes on a mission, who knows what will happen. Because of our successful running game he will not surpass Detmer statistically, but I can see us breaking into a BCS game or two in the next three years.



Welcome to the "Heaps' little sisters club". Heres a hint, dont open the door for Cougarbib. He says he loves Heaps but wait till he throws a pick or two. Bib will be chucking stones at our clubhouse again, yelling at us for defending Heaps and dividing up blame for the other teammates; as will Fdbtr.


:lol:
C
Cougarbib
I do love Heaps and my constructive criticism of his play earlier was fair and accurate. I have referred to him as the best True Freshman to ever start at BYU - but a few people get all wigged out that I point out that lack of precision in his passing affected the entire team. Nothing personal - he is a True Freshman. He is throwing with remarkably better precision now and rather than just saying it is all due to lousy competition, I acknowlege it as a factor, but point out Wyoming was also lousy as was USU. Heaps is throwing much better and I have twice given him my vote as MVP because as the BYU QB goes, so goes BYU. It has always been that way.



I am more likely to respectfully point out erratic and imprecise throwing if it returns than interception unless he starts throwing more interceptions than touchdowns.



I expect even the best True Freshman QB to make Freshman mistakes and not recognize a coverage. But, I expect any D1 QB to throw with better precision than Heaps was throwing with. Bronco had the team work on that. It has made a huge difference for BYU.



If Heaps had continued to throw poorly against UNLV, I would have wanted to see what Lark could do for two series. That was not necessary, because Heaps caught on fire.



I still want to see Lark throwing in mop-up time in case we need a back-up this year or in the future. Stuff happens. And on a final note, I hope we are recruiting a replacement for Heaps now, because when Heaps graduates Lark, Nelson, and Munns will all be gone and U do not want to see BYU having to give another True Freshman the reins so early.



A rising tide lifts all boats. There is no hate in this message. Just a little reality and a lot of love.



Please ignore this msg or quote it in it's entirety - quoting 1 sentence out of context would leave a very different and unintended impression.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
QuarterbackU
Cougarbib2 wrote:
I do love Heaps

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


So you're saying you have a man-crush on Heaps!? ;)
C
Cougarbib
QuarterbackU wrote:
I do love Heaps

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


So you're saying you have a man-crush on Heaps!? ;)

No - more of a brotherly kind of love and I forgot to mention - a lot of respect for the young man.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Dwight
Was I the only one that thought all the mushy talk was a bit much. The last time I talked like that to anyone I was planning on making out with her on the couch.
C
Cougarbib
Dwight wrote:
Was I the only one that thought all the mushy talk was a bit much. The last time I talked like that to anyone I was planning on making out with her on the couch.

I heard Taekwandave had taught her speed and she was able to out run you.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dwight
Which one was she? If she got away it wasn't for lack of effort.
C
CAFB_04-12
QuarterbackU wrote:
I do love Heaps

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


So you're saying you have a man-crush on Heaps!? ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GMZjkNW5b8
C
Cougarbib
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
I do love Heaps

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


So you're saying you have a man-crush on Heaps!? ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GMZjkNW5b8


LOL



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.