Archived Topic

Kyle Van Noy

by Italics · 11/16/2010

Advertisement
I
Italics
Earlier this season, some people were using him as an example of why young talent should NOT be played and developed early. I think we are now seeing the opposite. Not only has the kid already become one of our best players on defense, but just think of how much the experience he's getting from this season will pay off over the next three years. I love his hustle and speed. Very glad he manned up and stuck around even after the suspension.
S
stuckinbig10country
With him and Jordan Pendleton (if he can get healthy), the outside backers have the potential to be even better than the combo of Kehl and Nixon.
T
tmoney35
I'm getting really excited about our Linebackers for next year. Hopefully they'll make up for what we're losing in the secondary
B
Brayden Green
I have always been a proponent of KVN starting over Frazier. I am glad that it is happening, and how quickly we are seeing dividends. He is a special athlete, and a good person. I like his back story and how hard he has fought to get here and be here. It is nice to see loyalty (and talent) rewarded. i hope nothing but good things for him now, and in the future.
B
BroncoBot
As some of you might remember, I was very critical of KVN. I saw his comments on twitter/facebook/wherever as a lack of team first attitude. I don't know the true context of the messages he wrote, but they seemed divisive in nature and at that point, the team needed unity, not division.



He is playing very well right now. I hope he has bought into the team approach and is learning from the coaches instead of butting heads with them. He is talented that is apparent.



Here's hoping BYU hold onto KVN for at least 2 more years.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
stuckinbig10country wrote:
With him and Jordan Pendleton (if he can get healthy), the outside backers have the potential to be even better than the combo of Kehl and Nixon.


Add Stout and Kaveinga(sp?) to those 2 and I don't think I ever remember having a linebacking corps that was that athletically gifted. Could end up being the best we have ever seen at BYU.
B
Brayden Green
frdbtr wrote:
With him and Jordan Pendleton (if he can get healthy), the outside backers have the potential to be even better than the combo of Kehl and Nixon.


Add Stout and Kaveinga(sp?) to those 2 and I don't think I ever remember having a linebacking corps that was that athletically gifted. Could end up being the best we have ever seen at BYU.


agreed, wow.
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
With him and Jordan Pendleton (if he can get healthy), the outside backers have the potential to be even better than the combo of Kehl and Nixon.


Add Stout and Kaveinga(sp?) to those 2 and I don't think I ever remember having a linebacking corps that was that athletically gifted. Could end up being the best we have ever seen at BYU.


agreed, wow.

BTW, how big is stout? he seemed quite a bit bigger than KVN. I noticed this as KVN scooped up the fumble for the TD and stout was running right behind him. Stout seemed big.



Just looked it up

KVN 200

Stout 229.
B
Brayden Green
declocoug wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
With him and Jordan Pendleton (if he can get healthy), the outside backers have the potential to be even better than the combo of Kehl and Nixon.


Add Stout and Kaveinga(sp?) to those 2 and I don't think I ever remember having a linebacking corps that was that athletically gifted. Could end up being the best we have ever seen at BYU.


agreed, wow.

BTW, how big is stout? he seemed quite a bit bigger than KVN. I noticed this as KVN scooped up the fumble for the TD and stout was running right behind him. Stout seemed big.



Just looked it up

KVN 200

Stout 229.


not only that, but isn't stout like 5-11 ? That is thick for someone not even six feet.
G
Guest
The future is very bright at LB
Advertisement
M
Mars
Italics wrote:
the kid already become one of our best players on defense

Which isn't that odd, seeing how he was one of the best players on our defense BACK IN SPRING BALL!!



It drives me crazy when people say "freshmen need to earn their playing time in practice!", and then when a guy like KVN dominates weeks of practice, they say "what does practice mean? Nothing! Let's see them earn it on the field..." Then, after they play 10 minutes of a game but make the best two plays of the day, and you again question why the kid isn't starting, those same people say "you really think you can judge talent better than the coaches? He must not be starting for a reason". Sometimes that reason is, the coaches love an older player who simply isn't as good.



We missed his play greatly against Air Force. Remember that game defensively?
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
With him and Jordan Pendleton (if he can get healthy), the outside backers have the potential to be even better than the combo of Kehl and Nixon.


Add Stout and Kaveinga(sp?) to those 2 and I don't think I ever remember having a linebacking corps that was that athletically gifted. Could end up being the best we have ever seen at BYU.


agreed, wow.


Me too. I also agree that Blue is Better. Not just BYU. At my office, 2,000 people all come to work every day because they believe Blue is Better.



Make note of this historical moment in which we respectfully agreed to agree.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Italics
Mars wrote:
the kid already become one of our best players on defense





We missed his play greatly against Air Force. Remember that game defensively?


Yeah... and I remember some fans trying to talk about "lost" he looked, and using it as a reason for why talented freshmen shouldn't start.
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
The future is very bright at LB


+1 I've always been a Van Noy fan. I didn't know for sure how it would work out - I just liked him. His grittiness, determination, athleticism, speed - wow!!! What a talented athlete w/ lots of upside!! It's exciting to see him develop so quickly & be an impact player.
M
Mars
Italics wrote:
I remember some fans trying to talk about "lost" he looked, and using it as a reason for why talented freshmen shouldn't start.

? :skeptic:
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:




We missed his play greatly against Air Force. Remember that game defensively? [/color]

I'm not bashing on KVN here, but let's remember who was calling the shots in the AFA game. Playing KVN more that game would have had little difference in the outcome. KVN probably did look a little lost. So did the entire defense. No one was ready for the falcon offense that day.
M
Mars
declocoug wrote:
I'm not bashing on KVN here, but let's remember who was calling the shots in the AFA game. Playing KVN more that game would have had little difference in the outcome. KVN probably did look a little lost. So did the entire defense. No one was ready for the falcon offense that day.

Van Noy didn't play a single snap of the Air Force game. I'm not even sure he traveled with the team.
C
CougarClaw
hawkwing wrote:
The future is very bright at LB


I think I've got to wear shades. 8) 8) :crazy: :crazy:
C
Cougarbib
Iirc KVN got in the doghouse. I don't recall if it was Spring, Summer, Fall Camp, or early season or if it was academics or attitude or what. Was he also nicked up at some point?



Anyway, I made the mistake of posting that he would be on the Leadership Council in the future if it is reinstated because he showed leadership on the field instead of with his mouth and someone lit me up and said he is not a leader. I like what I have seen and am perfectly fine that it took a few games for him to sort to the top.



If some of you just step back and look at the big picture, you will see that a lot of talent is being prepared for the future and it is working.



I have no issue starting a freshman at certain positions - dread True Freshmen at QB though - but freshmen make freshmen mistakes that can kill momentum and a team can only absorb a few of those mistakes at a time - so I support the 99.99% of coaches that start them sparingly and situationally.



Patience is a virtue.



Bronco was quoted today as saying the team needed to go through all of this adversity this year for the talented YOUNG players to realize that they had to do more than just show up.



So, if you agree with me that Bronco is the best HC BYU could realistically have, listen to him, support him, quit trying to replay the season, deal with the disappointments that come as a reality of having such a young team and a True Freshman QB, quit looking back, look ahead and enjoy the ride. The ride has started to get much better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Iirc KVN got in the doghouse. I don't recall if it was Spring, Summer, Fall Camp, or early season or if it was academics or attitude or what. Was he also nicked up at some point?



Anyway, I made the mistake of posting that he would be on the Leadership Council in the future if it is reinstated because he showed leadership on the field instead of with his mouth and someone lit me up and said he is not a leader. I like what I have seen and am perfectly fine that it took a few games for him to sort to the top.



If some of you just step back and look at the big picture, you will see that a lot of talent is being prepared for the future and it is working.



I have no issue starting a freshman at certain positions - dread True Freshmen at QB though - but freshmen make freshmen mistakes that can kill momentum and a team can only absorb a few of those mistakes at a time - so I support the 99.99% of coaches that start them sparingly and situationally.



Patience is a virtue.



Bronco was quoted today as saying the team needed to go through all of this adversity this year for the talented YOUNG players to realize that they had to do more than just show up.



So, if you agree with me that Bronco is the best HC BYU could realistically have, listen to him, support him, quit trying to replay the season, deal with the disappointments that come as a reality of having such a young team and a True Freshman QB, quit looking back, look ahead and enjoy the ride. The ride has started to get much better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


He wasn't in the doghouse, but didn't come here last year because of specific reasons.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.