Archived Topic

BYU in the Vegas Bowl . . . Again???

by MJCOUGAR · 11/15/2010

Advertisement
M
MJCOUGAR
Given Utah's poor play, BYU's improved play is it so improbable that we finish at 2nd place in the MWC? It will happen if Utah loses to SDSU on saturday and we beat them to end the season. That would give them 3 MWC losses to our 2 - is it Vegas again this year??
K
kjjson
MJCOUGAR wrote:
Given Utah's poor play, BYU's improved play is it so improbable that we finish at 2nd place in the MWC? It will happen if Utah loses to SDSU on saturday and we beat them to end the season. That would give them 3 MWC losses to our 2 - is it Vegas again this year??


I've seen this information elsewhere, my question is why does Utah have to lose to SDSU for us to finish 2nd? If SDSU wins, they have 2 conference losses (TCU and BYU), if Utah wins, and we beat them, then they would have 2 conference losses (TCU and BYU), in both cases, we tie with the same record, but would have the head-to-head win. Am I missing something else that makes it so that SDSU has to beat :utard: for us to finish second?
S
SpiffCoug
Vegas gets 1st pick. So, conceivably, even if BYU were to lose this week, but then beat Utah, they could still take BYU over any other MWC, regardless of where we sit in the standings.
M
MJCOUGAR
I don't pretend to know how the tie breakers work. Anybody?
S
SpiffCoug
MJCOUGAR wrote:
I don't pretend to know how the tie breakers work. Anybody?

There are no tie-breakers when it comes to MWC bowls. It's all selection based. Vegas selects first. Then Poinsetta, then New Mexico or Armed Forces, then the other. I think that's the order.



Those bowls can select any MWC bowl-eligible team they want. The standings don't determine bowl placement.



But in general, tie-breakers are first head-to-head and then record against conference foes in descending order.
Advertisement
A
AJP
I've read that there are no tie breakers past 1st place, in other words teams would just share 2nd place if the had the same conference record. Regardless as kitic says the individual bowls would just pick who they want to in their designated order.



I'm with YBrit hoping for an Armed Forces Bowl so that I could watch it in person 8)
Y
YBrit
AJP wrote:
I've read that there are no tie breakers past 1st place, in other words teams would just share 2nd place if the had the same conference record. Regardless as kitic says the individual bowls would just pick who they want to in their designated order.



I'm with YBrit hoping for an Armed Forces Bowl so that I could watch it in person 8)




Me too. Please go to the AFB Bowl, that'd just be swell.
M
MJCOUGAR
I know the Big 10 uses the BCS standings as a tie breaker. I know that placement doesn't necesarily determine which bowl as Kitic suggests but it is a good indicator. Regardless of how the end of the season turns out, I wonder if the Vegas bowl would want us still after our repeat appearances. This season might be a good one to go someplace else regardless. I want the Poinsettia bowl.
C
CougarPeasant
kjjson wrote:
Given Utah's poor play, BYU's improved play is it so improbable that we finish at 2nd place in the MWC? It will happen if Utah loses to SDSU on saturday and we beat them to end the season. That would give them 3 MWC losses to our 2 - is it Vegas again this year??


I've seen this information elsewhere, my question is why does Utah have to lose to SDSU for us to finish 2nd? If SDSU wins, they have 2 conference losses (TCU and BYU), if Utah wins, and we beat them, then they would have 2 conference losses (TCU and BYU), in both cases, we tie with the same record, but would have the head-to-head win. Am I missing something else that makes it so that SDSU has to beat :utard: for us to finish second?


YOu are right. If we win out, we finish in 2d place, regardless of what :utard: or SDSU do.



It's just nice to push the SNOT down to 4th for a nice send off to the Pac10
Q
QuarterbackU
Quick Question: Is the MWC still affiliated with the emerald bowl in the bay area? it used to pit a third place or third pick MWC team against a middle of the road ACC team. I'd love to see the cougs come to the bay area.
Advertisement
B
byutx
QuarterbackU wrote:
Quick Question: Is the MWC still affiliated with the emerald bowl in the bay area? it used to pit a third place or third pick MWC team against a middle of the road ACC team. I'd love to see the cougs come to the bay area.

no
S
SpiffCoug
MJCOUGAR wrote:
I know the Big 10 uses the BCS standings as a tie breaker. I know that placement doesn't necesarily determine which bowl as Kitic suggests but it is a good indicator. Regardless of how the end of the season turns out, I wonder if the Vegas bowl would want us still after our repeat appearances. This season might be a good one to go someplace else regardless. I want the Poinsettia bowl.

And what performance would that be. Three wins by BYU to excite their fan base. One close game that came down to the final drive. And another game where the PAC-10 team fan base was excited to be there. Five sellouts. Largest crowds in bowl and venue history. If we win out, there's no way the Vegas bowl doesn't take us. If we win out, there will be plenty of enthusiasm around the team and fan base that they'll have a sixth straight sell-out and sixth straight exciting game.
Q
QuarterbackU
byutx wrote:
Quick Question: Is the MWC still affiliated with the emerald bowl in the bay area? it used to pit a third place or third pick MWC team against a middle of the road ACC team. I'd love to see the cougs come to the bay area.

no


Thanks
M
Mingjai
MJCOUGAR wrote:
I know the Big 10 uses the BCS standings as a tie breaker.


Unlike the MWC, the Big Ten also has a rule to the effect of a team can't be selected more than one (or maybe two) slot below their conference ranking. So the team the finishes third can't drop below the 4th bowl slot (unless there's a tie for third).
M
Mars
kitic77 wrote:
There are no tie-breakers when it comes to MWC bowls. It's all selection based. Vegas selects first. Then Poinsetta, then New Mexico or Armed Forces, then the other. I think that's the order. Those bowls can select any MWC bowl-eligible team they want. The standings don't determine bowl placement. But in general, tie-breakers are first head-to-head and then record against conference foes in descending order.

BCS (doesn't have to take an undefeated TCU, not in the Top 2, if an undefeated Boise State finishes above them in the BCS rankings)

Las Vegas (warning!) Bowl

San Diego (warning!) Poinsettia Bowl (wants SDSU)

Shreveport, Louisiana Independence Bowl

Fort Worth (warning!) Armed Forces Bowl (took Air Force the past two years)

New Mexico (warning!) Bowl (odds are, they won't get a MWC team this year, though it is technically possible)



I don't think any MWC bowl can select a 6-6 team over a team with 7+ wins...
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Mars wrote:
I don't think any MWC bowl can select a 6-6 team over a team with 7+ wins...


I thought as long as the 7-5 teams still make a bowl, teams can be selected in any order.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I bet Vegas would take a 7-5 BYU team over a 12-0 TCU team.
A
AJP
Mars wrote:
BCS (doesn't have to take an undefeated TCU, not in the Top 2, if an undefeated Boise State finishes above them in the BCS rankings)

Las Vegas (warning!) Bowl

San Diego (warning!) Poinsettia Bowl (wants SDSU)

Shreveport, Louisiana Independence Bowl

Fort Worth (warning!) Armed Forces Bowl (took Air Force the past two years)

New Mexico (warning!) Bowl (odds are, they won't get a MWC team this year, though it is technically possible)



I don't think any MWC bowl can select a 6-6 team over a team with 7+ wins...

I read in some article that the Independence Bowl really wants Air Force and would take them as their top pick regardless of who else was available. Not entirely sure why though....
I
IowaCougar
I think the Cougars shouldn't worry about which bowl they'll end up in, but just do everything they can to win out. A few weeks ago I never would have guessed that they would even be talking about any bowl game. I'd be happy to see them play, even if it's the New Mexico bowl.
8
88Coug
If BYU wins out, I see it like this.



TCU -BCS

BYU- LV (won't pass up cash cow, BYU fans will be excited to go, given the season, may not get BYU again any time soon, can get Utah out of the Pac-12)

AF Bowl --- Army (we can't fill all our slots anyway, might as well bring in Army to the AF Bowl, which is at SMU this year)

Indy Bowl --- AFA (basically a lock)

Poinsettia- SDSU-Navy (would be a sell-out and a good game)

NM-Utah---not a bad team for that bowl, even if on a 4-game losing streak



Of course, I see the LV Bowl looking to add a BYU clause to its next contract.....
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.