Archived Topic

Latest News on WR OC

by byucougar1 · 11/15/2010

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
I understand that OC has been in attendance for BYU games since his suspension (still very supportive of his team). Furthermore, there is a rumor that he might return to the team after meeting certain disciplinary requirements. Anyone know of the details and terms/conditions of his return?
M
Mars


He claimed on his facebook today that he is returning to BYU next year. We'll see if Bronco agrees or not.



Anae's job status may have a lot to do with the final decision here.
B
byucougar1
Any more details on the Anae/OC conflict? I thought his issues were with Heaps given the turning in of his equipment to Bronco - or was that his version of locker-room humor?
M
Mars
byucougar1 wrote:
Any more details on the Anae/OC conflict?

It was a verbal confrontation with Anae that got him suspended for 2 games in the first place.



I believe the Heaps thing was OC's way of going out with a bang after one more confrontation with Anae ended his playing season.
C
CougarPeasant
I would like to see OC rejoin the team. IT's a sign he's willing to do what it takes to work with Bronco and the team.



I am sure Mama Chambers talked some sense into him as well.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
I don't get the fascination with this kid...what has he accomplished here? It is great that he hasn't jumped off the deep end and seems intent on sticking this out, but he has not been an asset to the team and might do better to just be a student and finish his degree.
S
SpiffCoug
I believe he was going to finish out the semester at the least. So being at the games, is reasonable. I don't know what he can do to show Bronco he wants back on the team. I think that boat has already sailed for him.
C
CougarClaw
I don't doubt he watched Luke Ashworth get four catches for four touchdowns and say " that could have been me". A world of disagreement and hurt vanish with four TD receptions in a single game.



thanks for the update.
C
CougarPeasant
mizzoucoug wrote:
I don't get the fascination with this kid...what has he accomplished here? It is great that he hasn't jumped off the deep end and seems intent on sticking this out, but he has not been an asset to the team and might do better to just be a student and finish his degree.


Rejoining the team and given a starting spot are two different things. If he is allowed back on the team, he's gotta earn the right to play.



I think it's the nature of Bronco to help someone through hardships and to reward them when they attain the goals he sets with them. O'Neil would benefit greatly in acheiving those goals and rejoining the team.
D
Ddawg
mizzoucoug wrote:
I don't get the fascination with this kid...what has he accomplished here? It is great that he hasn't jumped off the deep end and seems intent on sticking this out, but he has not been an asset to the team and might do better to just be a student and finish his degree.


For me - just reading the posts of Linnette Chambers - talking about her son - I'm a supporter of Oneill Chambers. #1 If OC wanted to come back - and #2 Bronco had a program w/ criteria - and #3 OC met & satisfied that program to Bronco's satisfaction! I am in. Welcome OC back, suit up & let's play ball. I'm certain OC is really aching inside seeing the Cougs perform these past 2 games & not being on the field w/ the team. Remember - he has put in 2 1/2 long years of sweat & effort!!! To me - the "Kingpin" is Bronco. There are always decisive factors that we do not know. That said - I would love to know the inside scoop on this one!!!! Oh yeah!!
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Mars wrote:
Any more details on the Anae/OC conflict?

It was a verbal confrontation with Anae that got him suspended for 2 games in the first place.



I believe the Heaps thing was OC's way of going out with a bang after one more confrontation with Anae ended his playing season.


Hmmmm ...... interesting scoop Mars. Thx!! Would love to know the nature & content of the verbal confrontation. It must'a been a doozy!!!
B
beauso79
Even if he's allowed to come back I would still like to see Hoffman and Falslev retain kick return duties. Hoffman has done so much better than Chambers. Plus we'll have Phillips and Hine in the mix next year
C
Cougs_Rule
beauso79 wrote:
Even if he's allowed to come back I would still like to see Hoffman and Falslev retain kick return duties. Hoffman has done so much better than Chambers. Plus we'll have Phillips and Hine in the mix next year


And Apo! THis could be a very potent offense next year and I see OC not learning his lesson after several suspensions. Curtis Brown gave a great interview on 1280TheZone a couple days after OC was suspended. CB warned OC and encouraged him in supportive and strong terms, including him to get off the "different culture" business. OC failed to live that advice and continued the shenanigans. OC has shown that he has the tendencies of a TO and Randy Moss. And those guys have been at times cancerous to their teams. Sad.

MOst all of us really feel for Linette. She is a classy lady and has to be heart-broken over this.

BUt maybe the best lesson for OC, since several other "chances" failed to create a change, is to not open the door again.
C
Cougarbib
A lot of you wanted to see him at Safety.



Heaps improvement in precision in his throws has lifted all boats. We may never get to see if it would have lifted the OC boat - might have - which would be ironic if Heaps made OC look good after OC pointed the finger at Heaps.



OC should gave been a little more patient - but losing and not being involved in the offense was probably too much for him to deal with emotionally and accepting the fact that OC is not the greatest athlete in all if Florida was a bitter pill for him and he and some of his friends still haven't swallowed it.



I love turnaround stories, but this team does not need dissension. If he comes back - you can imagine a very short leash and IMHO, several receivers and returnees have earned a higher spot on the depth charts.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
mizzoucoug wrote:
I don't get the fascination with this kid... what has he accomplished here?

About the same as Senior Luke Ashworth as of 3 games ago?
Advertisement
I
Italics
CougarPeasant wrote:
I don't get the fascination with this kid...what has he accomplished here? It is great that he hasn't jumped off the deep end and seems intent on sticking this out, but he has not been an asset to the team and might do better to just be a student and finish his degree.


Rejoining the team and given a starting spot are two different things. If he is allowed back on the team, he's gotta earn the right to play.



I think it's the nature of Bronco to help someone through hardships and to reward them when they attain the goals he sets with them. O'Neil would benefit greatly in acheiving those goals and rejoining the team.


Well Said.



Bronco will do everything he can to help OC back on the team. In the end, he'll only get back on if he deserves it.



When/if on the team, Bronco will then do everything he can to help OC become good enough to start again. In the end, he'll only get playing time if he deserves it.



I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. It'd be a great story. I'm sure him seeing our recent success and keeping in mind some of the great teams we play next year have something to do with all of this.
B
BYUgeezer
I think we are more interest in having his Mom back than him. I do hope he comes back and is successful though. He could be a great help to the team whether he starts or not.
I
Isola
I would like to see OC back, more for his sake than ours, because I think the team will be fine without him.



If Bronco says OC has changed his tune and is ready to be back on the team then I will welcome him back.
G
Gunk
Kid's a Drama King IMHO. Less drama the better, for everyone.



He needs BYU more than BYU needs him. If he can keep a lid on it, earn his PT and perform than I'm fine with him coming back. But let's be honest, what are the odds of him actually changing his tune?



Since his freshman year he's brought drama into the clubhouse. It follows him wherever he goes, and I don't think the benefits to his return would outweigh the negative side effects of his drama.



Personally, I think the best thing the kid needs for his future is not to come back. Rather than be given another chance and another exception being made for him - which in the end will only fuel his self-entitlement - this is the chance for him to learn a hard lesson in life that will benefit him much more in the long-run than catching footballs.



I actually think we perform better with out him.
M
MJCOUGAR
I got the feeling through Bronco's words after his dismissal that he wasn't coming back, ever. Sounded to me like O'neil burned his BYU bridge.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.