Archived Topic

A new thought on Anae

by taekwondave · 11/15/2010

Advertisement
T
taekwondave
Just for the record, I'm not really an Anae fan. I was saying we should get rid of him not too long ago and as of right now, I'm keeping pretty quiet, as I'd like to see how this year plays out before I voice my opinion again, one way or the other.



That being said, I've heard a lot of people use the fact that Beck and Hall and now Heaps frequently change the play at the line of scrimmage as evidence of Anae's ineptitude. That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not jumping on the Anae bandwagon here, but that particular argument doesn't hold water. After all, it's in Anae's offense that these quarterbacks are TRAINED to recognize defenses and audible out of plays if the setup they see doesn't match the original play call. In other words, the fact that our quarterbacks frequently change plays is to Anae's CREDIT.



It seems to me that the system is set up so that they HAVE a play to run and a formation to run it from, and if they get to the line and see that everything looks right on the other side of the ball they just run the play, and if it doesn't then the quarterback is trained to know which plays to audible to while in those formations to increase their odds of being successful.



He may have many other flaws, but that particular argument shouldn't be used as evidence against him.
B
BYULV
That sounds reasonable to me. I also don't believe they are checking out of plays just because they don't like them, but rather because of what they see in the defense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
That sounds reasonable to me. I also don't believe they are checking out of plays just because they don't like them, but rather because of what they see in the defense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Two voices of reason. Totally agree. And Dave could probably train Anae to run faster and then he won't seem so slow TIC.



Seriously, that is why QBs audible. The coach calls a play based on what he guesses the defense will do. The QB gets to see what the defense actually lines up to do, but does have to guess what they might be disguising.



If he is confused, the QB is coached to call timeout to avoid picks, sacks, and other bad things.



If the defense is dangerous for the play called, but from coaching, the QB knows what to do, the QB is empowered to audible out of the play.



Anae has A True Freshman trained well enough to allow him some flexibility to do that. Many coaches would tie the Freshman's hands. Even Lark was empowered to do that Vs UNLV.



That is why you heard so much about experience and leadership in week 1. Those defenses and loud crowds on the road tear up inexperienced QBs.



Hopefully, Heaps will see more defenses cheating up and he can audible into that flea flicker.



And I think opposing defenses may have to quit trying to make Jake beat them with his arm because against the likes of UNLV, CSU, and probably NM, he will kill them with his arm if they load the box or cheat up to stop the run.



One more week of warm ups and then it will be fun to see what better teams try to do to stop BYU.



If the tight ends light up, they won't be able to stop BYU either.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Italics
Anae's playcalling and the horrid 2-QB system are the main reasons BYU is 5-5 right now and not 8-2.



I am still mad at Anae.
C
Cougarbib
Italics wrote:
Anae's playcalling and the horrid 2-QB system are the main reasons BYU is 5-5 right now and not 8-2.



I am still mad at Anae.


Ironic because a starter on defense for UW told mr directly that this caused them problems and they could not stop BYU. That was our only win.



You saw what AFA did to Heaps. Heaps was not pulled just because he threw a pick. He was removed to preserve him out of harms way. There was no blocking for Heaps or Nelson that day and FSU was no different.



Same for unr and usu.



We had no defense in the 2nd thru 5th weeks and you think we would have won them all but 1 - well I guess you are not lacking for imagination.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Guest
taekwondave wrote:
Just for the record, I'm not really an Anae fan. I was saying we should get rid of him not too long ago and as of right now, I'm keeping pretty quiet, as I'd like to see how this year plays out before I voice my opinion again, one way or the other.



That being said, I've heard a lot of people use the fact that Beck and Hall and now Heaps frequently change the play at the line of scrimmage as evidence of Anae's ineptitude. That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not jumping on the Anae bandwagon here, but that particular argument doesn't hold water. After all, it's in Anae's offense that these quarterbacks are TRAINED to recognize defenses and audible out of plays if the setup they see doesn't match the original play call. In other words, the fact that our quarterbacks frequently change plays is to Anae's CREDIT.



It seems to me that the system is set up so that they HAVE a play to run and a formation to run it from, and if they get to the line and see that everything looks right on the other side of the ball they just run the play, and if it doesn't then the quarterback is trained to know which plays to audible to while in those formations to increase their odds of being successful.



He may have many other flaws, but that particular argument shouldn't be used as evidence against him.


TKDave, I agree with you, in fact, this is one of the arguments I've often brought up, not in order to save Anae's job, because I'm not convinced that we couldn't do better, but any audible is an Anae designed and practiced and game planned audible, so he should get as much of the credit for it as the QB for recognizing the need to audible. It's not like our QBs are Peyton Manning out there calling their own offense from the line of scrimmage.
M
Mars
Cougarbib2 wrote:
a starter on defense for UW told mr directly that this caused them problems and they could not stop BYU. That was our only win.


BYU has 5 wins, 4 of them coming without Riley Nelson.



Besides, Ute fans shouldn't throw out the "our" word casually on a BYU message board.
C
CougarPeasant
taekwondave wrote:
Just for the record, I'm not really an Anae fan. I was saying we should get rid of him not too long ago and as of right now, I'm keeping pretty quiet, as I'd like to see how this year plays out before I voice my opinion again, one way or the other.



That being said, I've heard a lot of people use the fact that Beck and Hall and now Heaps frequently change the play at the line of scrimmage as evidence of Anae's ineptitude. That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not jumping on the Anae bandwagon here, but that particular argument doesn't hold water. After all, it's in Anae's offense that these quarterbacks are TRAINED to recognize defenses and audible out of plays if the setup they see doesn't match the original play call. In other words, the fact that our quarterbacks frequently change plays is to Anae's CREDIT.



It seems to me that the system is set up so that they HAVE a play to run and a formation to run it from, and if they get to the line and see that everything looks right on the other side of the ball they just run the play, and if it doesn't then the quarterback is trained to know which plays to audible to while in those formations to increase their odds of being successful.



He may have many other flaws, but that particular argument shouldn't be used as evidence against him.


I have been meaning to post something similar to this. Where does the QB get the training to audible? And who's plays is he still utilizing? The OC, that's who. Unless a coach can see into the future, he will not know exactly what type of defense will face the play he called. Hense, the QB has to recognize the defense, change the play if necessary, and show leadership in doing such.



Gotta give Anae credit for Beck, Hall, and now Heaps being able to recognize when change is necessary and use a more suitable play.
B
byutx
Anae did not allow Beck to audible into just any play until his sr. season. He would send in the play and also a play to change to and it was expected that Beck would run one of the two plays. Similar limits were placed on Max, but he wasn't as willing to stick to Anae's commandments. Anae basically forbid Jake to change out of plays early on in the season.



I've said it before and I'll say it again. 2006, 2007 and 2009 happened in spite of Anae and not because of him. With a better, more flexible and less predictable OC, BYU over Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl would have been the big story in CFB that year instead of BSU. Now I dislike Anae even more.



Let me quickly add that Robert Anae is a decent OC, but not an elite one. Yes, the plays that our guys have checked down to were put together by Anae, so in that regard he is due some credit for our successes. However, along with his offensive have come a lot of undesirable things: players don't like him, bad recruiter, rubs recruit parents the wrong way (often especially poly recruit parents), predictable and unimaginative.
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib2 wrote:



Ironic because a starter on defense for UW told mr directly that this caused them problems and they could not stop BYU. That was our only win.


For the purposes of this post I'll assume that this is true (I don't believe it's true, but that's a different story) But doesn't this really speak to the fact that UW has inept coaching rather than the 2 QB system actually working - especially given what we saw after UW?
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
Just for the record, I'm not really an Anae fan. I was saying we should get rid of him not too long ago and as of right now, I'm keeping pretty quiet, as I'd like to see how this year plays out before I voice my opinion again, one way or the other.



That being said, I've heard a lot of people use the fact that Beck and Hall and now Heaps frequently change the play at the line of scrimmage as evidence of Anae's ineptitude. That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not jumping on the Anae bandwagon here, but that particular argument doesn't hold water. After all, it's in Anae's offense that these quarterbacks are TRAINED to recognize defenses and audible out of plays if the setup they see doesn't match the original play call. In other words, the fact that our quarterbacks frequently change plays is to Anae's CREDIT.



It seems to me that the system is set up so that they HAVE a play to run and a formation to run it from, and if they get to the line and see that everything looks right on the other side of the ball they just run the play, and if it doesn't then the quarterback is trained to know which plays to audible to while in those formations to increase their odds of being successful.



He may have many other flaws, but that particular argument shouldn't be used as evidence against him.


TKDave, I agree with you, in fact, this is one of the arguments I've often brought up, not in order to save Anae's job, because I'm not convinced that we couldn't do better, but any audible is an Anae designed and practiced and game planned audible, so he should get as much of the credit for it as the QB for recognizing the need to audible. It's not like our QBs are Peyton Manning out there calling their own offense from the line of scrimmage.


Let's not pretend that Heaps suddenly learned what defenses to look for when he came here to BYU. He has been audibling for years now, and has been looking for defensive weaknesses pre-snap for years, in camp and in games. And BYU's playbook has what, like 200 working plays, so I don't think Anae gets that much credit for having "designed" a play that every other college in America runs as well. If this is his only saving grace, he better be updating his resume. And I would give Doman more credit than Anae for the ADDITIONAL (read: continued) teaching of when to audible, and what plays to audible to. Jake audibled plenty in high school. In the 100 highlight reels of him out there, you can see plenty of film of him audibiling there. He doesn't do it here, as much because he isn't as familiar with the playbook, and i don't think that he is as comfortable running the team yet. (Partly because of his disposition, and partly because of the way he is managed. I'm sure that if he audibled out of a Robert Anae playcall, and the play went wrong, he would get undue heat for it.)



It is a pretty weak argument. It is like giving a GM at Bajio's credit because they have a chicken salad. Well most people do... And it isn't so much that other qb's audibled out of every play, though they did audible a lot. It is that BYU has never looked better the last 4 years than when running the two minute drill, when the qb is calling the plays and not the OC.
B
byutx
Jake hasn't been audibling less because he doesn't know the playbook-it's because Anae didn't want him to. As Doman has taken a bigger role, this has and will continue to change.
T
taekwondave
byutx wrote:
Anae did not allow Beck to audible into just any play until his sr. season. He would send in the play and also a play to change to and it was expected that Beck would run one of the two plays. Similar limits were placed on Max, but he wasn't as willing to stick to Anae's commandments. Anae basically forbid Jake to change out of plays early on in the season.



I've said it before and I'll say it again. 2006, 2007 and 2009 happened in spite of Anae and not because of him. With a better, more flexible and less predictable OC, BYU over Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl would have been the big story in CFB that year instead of BSU. Now I dislike Anae even more.



Let me quickly add that Robert Anae is a decent OC, but not an elite one. Yes, the plays that our guys have checked down to were put together by Anae, so in that regard he is due some credit for our successes. However, along with his offensive have come a lot of undesirable things: players don't like him, bad recruiter, rubs recruit parents the wrong way (often especially poly recruit parents), predictable and unimaginative.


I hadn't really thought of it like that. Like I said, I'm not a big Anae fan, but I like the fact that our quarterbacks audible. Now, maybe you think our problem stems in that Anae doesn't let them audible enough, but it seems to me that we audible quite a lot. I don't see other teams change their plays at the line that often.



Now, as for the way Anae limited Heaps in the first few games he started, I think he meant well, but the results show he was ill-informed. You never make decisions out of fear. You always end up with what you feared when you do that. Since Anae seemed to hold Jake back those first few games, we got trounced; no surprise.



I'm still open-minded on Anae, but I like that he lets guys audible out. Maybe you're right and he doesn't do it enough, but I think it's to his credit that we do it at all. And at least our QB doesn't have to have giant signs of Wrigley's Spearmint Gum and super-models to understand what the defense is doing like Notre Dame did. What was THAT???
S
snoscythe
Just because a QB yells and waves his arms doesn't mean he is changing the play. The only people who know if Heaps is changing plays at the line are the coaches and the players in the huddle.



I work with the local high school and one of the things I have implemented is the"false audible" where the offense lines up, the quarterback addresses the center, surveys the defense, backs out of center and barks some garbled call that implements some of our usual call terminology. The receivers or backs move around a bit and the play goes on. What the defense couldn't know is that the audible is just jibberish and the entire routine is planned. It puts doubt into the defense, changes the formation, and makes it harder for the defense to decipher our calls.



Other offenses will give the QB a formation and 2 or 3 plays in the huddle, and he only chooses the play after the defense is set--not changing the play, just picking the best out of a few options. That's what BYU has done in the past with Hall and Beck.



So, just because a QB is yelling and players are moving doesn't mean the play isbeing changed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">[/quote]



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
taekwondave
BlueIsBetter wrote:
taekwondave wrote:
Just for the record, I'm not really an Anae fan. I was saying we should get rid of him not too long ago and as of right now, I'm keeping pretty quiet, as I'd like to see how this year plays out before I voice my opinion again, one way or the other.



That being said, I've heard a lot of people use the fact that Beck and Hall and now Heaps frequently change the play at the line of scrimmage as evidence of Anae's ineptitude. That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not jumping on the Anae bandwagon here, but that particular argument doesn't hold water. After all, it's in Anae's offense that these quarterbacks are TRAINED to recognize defenses and audible out of plays if the setup they see doesn't match the original play call. In other words, the fact that our quarterbacks frequently change plays is to Anae's CREDIT.



It seems to me that the system is set up so that they HAVE a play to run and a formation to run it from, and if they get to the line and see that everything looks right on the other side of the ball they just run the play, and if it doesn't then the quarterback is trained to know which plays to audible to while in those formations to increase their odds of being successful.



He may have many other flaws, but that particular argument shouldn't be used as evidence against him.


TKDave, I agree with you, in fact, this is one of the arguments I've often brought up, not in order to save Anae's job, because I'm not convinced that we couldn't do better, but any audible is an Anae designed and practiced and game planned audible, so he should get as much of the credit for it as the QB for recognizing the need to audible. It's not like our QBs are Peyton Manning out there calling their own offense from the line of scrimmage.


Let's not pretend that Heaps suddenly learned what defenses to look for when he came here to BYU. He has been audibling for years now, and has been looking for defensive weaknesses pre-snap for years, in camp and in games. And BYU's playbook has what, like 200 working plays, so I don't think Anae gets that much credit for having "designed" a play that every other college in America runs as well. If this is his only saving grace, he better be updating his resume. And I would give Doman more credit than Anae for the ADDITIONAL (read: continued) teaching of when to audible, and what plays to audible to. Jake audibled plenty in high school. In the 100 highlight reels of him out there, you can see plenty of film of him audibiling there. He doesn't do it here, as much because he isn't as familiar with the playbook, and i don't think that he is as comfortable running the team yet. (Partly because of his disposition, and partly because of the way he is managed. I'm sure that if he audibled out of a Robert Anae playcall, and the play went wrong, he would get undue heat for it.)



It is a pretty weak argument. It is like giving a GM at Bajio's credit because they have a chicken salad. Well most people do... And it isn't so much that other qb's audibled out of every play, though they did audible a lot. It is that BYU has never looked better the last 4 years than when running the two minute drill, when the qb is calling the plays and not the OC.


Those actually seem like pretty good points. Look, I'm frustrated too. I seriously doubt that Anae can get an offense to score enough points against good enough teams for us to EVER go undefeated and THAT'S what we all want. So even if we win out the next two games and our bowl game, I certainly won't cry if he's replaced.
Advertisement
T
taekwondave
snoscythe wrote:
Just because a QB yells and waves his arms doesn't mean he is changing the play. The only people who know if Heaps is changing plays at the line are the coaches and the players in the huddle.



I work with the local high school and one of the things I have implemented is the"false audible" where the offense lines up, the quarterback addresses the center, surveys the defense, backs out of center and barks some garbled call that implements some of our usual call terminology. The receivers or backs move around a bit and the play goes on. What the defense couldn't know is that the audible is just jibberish and the entire routine is planned. It puts doubt into the defense, changes the formation, and makes it harder for the defense to decipher our calls.



Other offenses will give the QB a formation and 2 or 3 plays in the huddle, and he only chooses the play after the defense is set--not changing the play, just picking the best out of a few options. That's what BYU has done in the past with Hall and Beck.



So, just because a QB is yelling and players are moving doesn't mean the play isbeing changed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">[/quote]



I remember Steve Young talking about doing that at San Francisco. Said it worked sometimes to get a defense to back off blitzes and such. He said it worked quite well.
T
taekwondave
byutx wrote:
Jake hasn't been audibling less because he doesn't know the playbook-it's because Anae didn't want him to. As Doman has taken a bigger role, this has and will continue to change.


Just curious, how do you know that? You sound pretty sure of it.
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
Just because a QB yells and waves his arms doesn't mean he is changing the play. The only people who know if Heaps is changing plays at the line are the coaches and the players in the huddle.



I work with the local high school and one of the things I have implemented is the"false audible" where the offense lines up, the quarterback addresses the center, surveys the defense, backs out of center and barks some garbled call that implements some of our usual call terminology. The receivers or backs move around a bit and the play goes on. What the defense couldn't know is that the audible is just jibberish and the entire routine is planned. It puts doubt into the defense, changes the formation, and makes it harder for the defense to decipher our calls.



Other offenses will give the QB a formation and 2 or 3 plays in the huddle, and he only chooses the play after the defense is set--not changing the play, just picking the best out of a few options. That's what BYU has done in the past with Hall and Beck.



So, just because a QB is yelling and players are moving doesn't mean the play isbeing changed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">[/quote]



Yeah that is the craziest thing to see, when you watch the NFL they almost always have 2 plays out of the huddle. New Orleans I know does it every play, and The Colts do it as well.



So the qb walks up, look at the defense, and if he doesn't like the play call he will yell "kill. kill. kill." and they move to the second play called in the huddle. No wonder there is a learning curve from NCAA to Pro.
B
Brayden Green
taekwondave wrote:
Jake hasn't been audibling less because he doesn't know the playbook-it's because Anae didn't want him to. As Doman has taken a bigger role, this has and will continue to change.


Just curious, how do you know that? You sound pretty sure of it.


The Shadow knows...
T
taekwondave
BlueIsBetter wrote:
byutx wrote:
Jake hasn't been audibling less because he doesn't know the playbook-it's because Anae didn't want him to. As Doman has taken a bigger role, this has and will continue to change.


Just curious, how do you know that? You sound pretty sure of it.


The Shadow knows...


:lol: No but really. Has he heard this from a player maybe?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.