Archived Topic

Finished Ranked?

by SpiffCoug · 11/14/2010

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
If we get to eight wins do we finish ranked?
F
frdbtr
No way. No way a 5 loss non BCS team gets into the rankings. This is assuming that my prediction comes true and BYU wins all the rest of its games.
B
BYULV
Should they be, maybe. Will they be, not a chance.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
If BYU wins out, including a Bowl game, they will be set to move up the rankings nicely next year unless the overly ambitious early schedule unravels them.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
nope. But a 5-loss SEC team WILL finished ranked.
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
Would you rank a team that lost to USU?!!!
S
SpiffCoug
CougarPeasant wrote:
Would you rank a team that lost to USU?!!!

Virginia Tech lost to James Madison. Should they be ranked?
B
BYULV
Didn't michigan end up highly ranked a few years back after losing to Appalachian state? (I may have schools mixed up)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mtnradio
BYULV wrote:
Should they be, maybe. Will they be, not a chance.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Assuming the rankings in this no-play-off era are supposed to represent how good a team IS at that point, then, assuming the Cougs win out, they probably SHOULD be ranked ... but I agree with BYULV, they wont (but they would likely receive some votes and therefore be in that "others receiving votes" category ... but not ranked)
S
SpiffCoug
BYULV wrote:
Didn't michigan end up highly ranked a few years back after losing to Appalachian state? (I may have schools mixed up)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No, I think that was the year they only won like 4 games.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
kitic77 wrote:
Didn't michigan end up highly ranked a few years back after losing to Appalachian state? (I may have schools mixed up)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No, I think that was the year they only won like 4 games.

I stand corrected. They finished 9-4 and ranked 18. It was 2007.
B
BYULV
Still, I kind of agree that if you lose to usu you don't deserve to be ranked. It just wouldn't feel right, but it would sure irritate the aggies so I hope it happens. More irony would be us being ranked and Nevada, afa, sdsu and Utah not ranked.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
kitic77 wrote:
BYULV wrote:
Didn't michigan end up highly ranked a few years back after losing to Appalachian state? (I may have schools mixed up)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No, I think that was the year they only won like 4 games.

I stand corrected. They finished 9-4 and ranked 18. It was 2007.


They upset #9 Florida in the Capital One Bowl (in Orlando) in Lloyd Carr's last game. BYU would have to upset a Top 15 team to finish ranked.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
tmoney35
I do think that we're playing top-25 football right now. When you beat two teams in a row by an average of over 6 touchdowns, I don't care who you're playing, that's top-25 football.



The reason we don't belong in the top 25 though is because there are plenty of teams that have been playing at that level all season, or at least most of the season.
J
jonnylingo
No way. We have five losses, including one to usu. we won't be ranked at the end of the year. anyway, beating utah appears to be no big deal at this point. they were big time overrated.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.