Archived Topic

CSU to wear Orange this Sat.

by Mars · 11/12/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


Sounds like they're pretty motivated to win this one:




"This could be the last time CSU plays the Cougars for a while. The rivalry dates back to 1922. So CSU players and coaches decided they would wear their orange "throwback" jerseys for Saturday's game, harkening the days when the Rams were the Aggies. It is also the Senior Day home finale."

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/article_a2792dce-4f29-534f-8e1d-e34d6a5ee650.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A
AJP
Mars wrote:


Sounds like they're pretty motivated to win this one:




"This could be the last time CSU plays the Cougars for a while. The rivalry dates back to 1922. So CSU players and coaches decided they would wear their orange "throwback" jerseys for Saturday's game, harkening the days when the Rams were the Aggies. It is also the Senior Day home finale."

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/article_a2792dce-4f29-534f-8e1d-e34d6a5ee650.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as they look better than :utard: black jerseys
S
Schmoe
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/5010743570_1526719873_o.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Well, those are...interesting. I was hoping it would be more of a hunter's orange with leaf-camo in the numbers, it would be much more befitting for CSU.
Y
YBrit
Ya, can't wait to play aggies/canes/rams. Everyone is motivated to beat BYU, but changing colors won't be enough.
J
jonnylingo
AJP wrote:


Sounds like they're pretty motivated to win this one:




"This could be the last time CSU plays the Cougars for a while. The rivalry dates back to 1922. So CSU players and coaches decided they would wear their orange "throwback" jerseys for Saturday's game, harkening the days when the Rams were the Aggies. It is also the Senior Day home finale."

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/article_a2792dce-4f29-534f-8e1d-e34d6a5ee650.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as they look better than :utard: black jerseys


Well, looks like they don't. they look ridiculous. They should have worn them halloween weekend, not this weekend. It is going to make beating them all the more fun. fairchild is going to be seriously upset when he loses this saturday. winning this game would make his life.



earlier in that article it noted how fairchild said that they had the best practice of the year yesterday. they are really up for this game.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Schmoe wrote:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/5010743570_1526719873_o.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Well, those are...interesting. I was hoping it would be more of a hunter's orange with leaf-camo in the numbers, it would be much more befitting for CSU.


I actually think these unis look better than their green ones. I think the trick to beating CSU will be to get out in front early. Once we are up by, say 14, I think they will fold like a cheap suit. They already know they aren't going bowling. So if they even get a whiff that they can't keep up I think they will quit. But you never know...
R
redneckjedi
Notre Dame in green vs. USC, 2005 -> FAIL

Oregon vomit helmets vs. BYU, 2006 LV Bowl -> FAIL

BYU whiteout @ FSU, 2010 -> FAIL

Utah blackout vs. TCU, 2010 -> EPIC FAIL



I challenge you to find a situation in which a one-off jersey change has resulted in a team significantly improving their performance, rather than being embarrassed. Now, if this were an actual throwback, I'm cool with that. Worked for BYU last year, worked for the '94 49ers, etc. But it's not - you can't tell me they had those douchy little green swirlies on their sleeves in 1922.
J
jonnylingo
On second thought, maybe it will make team think they are a different team than they really are, one that doesn't suck as bad as they do.
C
craigoscarson
I expect a hard fought game and i hope CSU isn't as motivated as USU was for us....



I predicted a win a while back but I think we have to scratch and claw to get this and on the road that might not be enough. This game is a real coin-flip, particularly with the injury situation on the Oline and with JP.



I hope the Cougs realize everything that's on the line. This has the makings of a disaster, so I hope our guys are ready to win their 1st roadie of the season.
B
byutx
YBrit wrote:
Ya, can't wait to play aggies/canes/rams. Everyone is motivated to beat BYU, but changing colors won't be enough.

My thoughts exactly.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
This is their bowl game. We need to play the game like it is ours too since if we lose this game, we probably don't go bowling.
B
Brayden Green
Blood shows up better in fluorescent construction worker orange than dark green.



Too bad the game isn't at home, I get so pissed driving through all that construction I'd love to hit someone wearing those colors.
M
Mingjai
redneckjedi wrote:
I challenge you to find a situation in which a one-off jersey change has resulted in a team significantly improving their performance, rather than being embarrassed.




Off the top of my head:



TCU wore black jerseys against BYU in 2008 instead of their normal purple, 32-7.



http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SNXw1rq5jLY/SPl5BE9sx_I/AAAAAAAABH8/D52DvLArEDI/s400/BYU+vs+TCU+Football+2nd+ingest+0305.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



I remember the Steelers wore throwbacks with gold helmets a few years back and killed the Ravens on MNF.



http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/614487/58502_ravens_steelers_football.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



And the one you mentioned, BYU-Utah (and OSU) in 2009.



http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/2161689.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


redneckjedi wrote:
Now, if this were an actual throwback, I'm cool with that. Worked for BYU last year, worked for the '94 49ers, etc. But it's not - you can't tell me they had those douchy little green swirlies on their sleeves in 1922.


Faux-backs are lame. If they're going to do throwbacks, at least do them right (though within confines of equipment rules). CSU's throwbacks will probably will probably be worn with their normal helmets.



You don't like CSU putting short and curlies on their sleeves?



http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs118.ash2/39253_10150249317070331_190549515330_14154724_6996607_n.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
Mingjai wrote:
I challenge you to find a situation in which a one-off jersey change has resulted in a team significantly improving their performance, rather than being embarrassed.




Off the top of my head:



TCU wore black jerseys against BYU in 2008 instead of their normal purple, 32-7.



http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SNXw1rq5jLY/SPl5BE9sx_I/AAAAAAAABH8/D52DvLArEDI/s400/BYU+vs+TCU+Football+2nd+ingest+0305.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



I remember the Steelers wore throwbacks with gold helmets a few years back and killed the Ravens on MNF.



http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/614487/58502_ravens_steelers_football.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



And the one you mentioned, BYU-Utah (and OSU) in 2009.



http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/2161689.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


redneckjedi wrote:
Now, if this were an actual throwback, I'm cool with that. Worked for BYU last year, worked for the '94 49ers, etc. But it's not - you can't tell me they had those douchy little green swirlies on their sleeves in 1922.


Faux-backs are lame. If they're going to do throwbacks, at least do them right (though within confines of equipment rules). CSU's throwbacks will probably will probably be worn with their normal helmets.



You don't like CSU putting short and curlies on their sleeves?



http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs118.ash2/39253_10150249317070331_190549515330_14154724_6996607_n.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




To be a nit picker...we've never worn 3-stripe pants before this jersy iteration; so our "throwbacks" were actually only throwbacks from the waist up; when you consider the whole, it was a one-off like you're saying about the CSU uniforms....
R
redneckjedi
I think TCU goes black jerseys more often than just once, judging from what I've seen on their website.



In any case, Superman is just as strong without the spandex, and Hair Thompson is just as douchy without the bad haircut. (Unfortunately, both situations are fictional.) Substance over style, and usually a one-off jersey change gets people thinking so much about style that they get the substance kicked out of them. ;)
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
ABYUFAN wrote:
http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/2161689.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

To be a nit picker...we've never worn 3-stripe pants before this jersy iteration; so our "throwbacks" were actually only throwbacks from the waist up; when you consider the whole, it was a one-off like you're saying about the CSU uniforms....


No doubt. I was complaining about that to my wife last year when I say BYU's attempted throwbacks--since they were buying a complete new set of pants anyway, couldn't they have gone through the trouble to get pants with just two stripes on them. The number and nameplate fonts were also incorrect as well as the collar logo.
M
Mingjai
redneckjedi wrote:
I think TCU goes black jerseys more often than just once, judging from what I've seen on their website.


I wasn't too far off--first time in black jerseys since 2004; and first time in that specific combination since 2000. Yes, I'm a design geek...



http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/101708aab.html
E
EM_Puma
they look like the Canes to me.



I thought with retro you tried to look jersey like the time your are honoring. I'm sure their orange jerseys looked nothing like that back then, but I'm sure our retro jerseys weren't similar except the color last year either. They'll be easier to spot.
A
ABYUFAN
Mingjai wrote:



No doubt. I was complaining about that to my wife last year when I say BYU's attempted throwbacks--since they were buying a complete new set of pants anyway, couldn't they have gone through the trouble to get pants with just two stripes on them. The number and nameplate fonts were also incorrect as well as the collar logo.

I can tell you what MY wife would have said had I mentioned those things to her: " :roll: " I hope you had a better response. :lol:
N
northerncougar
craigoscarson wrote:
I expect a hard fought game and i hope CSU isn't as motivated as USU was for us....



I predicted a win a while back but I think we have to scratch and claw to get this and on the road that might not be enough. This game is a real coin-flip, particularly with the injury situation on the Oline and with JP.



I hope the Cougs realize everything that's on the line. This has the makings of a disaster, so I hope our guys are ready to win their 1st roadie of the season.


Agree completely I am petrified of this game.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.